OT: NBA Finals Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Kitaman, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Kitaman

Kitaman

Series is setup to be epic with some serious story lines. I say GSW in 6.

2. EBonz30

EBonz30

Very excited to see this finals....

Like I've been saying for weeks now I expect LeBron to elevate his game and take it to an even higher level, the question is will be that good to overcome the Cavs awful defense??

Ride the LeBron train....

3. bballgrda

bballgrda

To me GS in 6 has seemed to be the most prevalent prediction and I agree with it. GS in 5 next most likely.

4. methodology

methodology

Cavs in 6.

Lebron kept the Cavs in it last year vs the Warriors solo and now this year he has Kyrie and Love back to support. He has been on a mission all year for this and now they get the Warriors after a 7 games series and Curry is still not 100%. The Warriors have had to exert more energy throughout the season (to beat the Bulls win record) and more effort in the playoffs while the Cavs have coasted throughout the season and playoffs. That has saved Lebron to conserve energy for the Finals.

This will be a great finals and I see Lebron delivering on his promise to bring Cleveland a championship. The Warriors havent faced a good defensive team in the postseason and now they get the Cavs. Cavs are also #6 in the league for turnovers per game and GSW live off of turnovers making their opponents suffer by getting those easy transition 3s and buckets. OKC lost because of that but the Cavs will not fall victim to that.

partyATkemba likes this.
  5. superjohn

superjohn

Cavs have faced the weakest competition I think I've ever seen on the way to the finals. Should be a great series but the things I'm looking for is where do the Cavs hide Love and Irving defensively? Also are the Cavs going to continue their style of play and plan on getting into a three point shooting contest with the Warriors, if so I don't give them much of a chance. Cavs have to find a way to muck it up like last year's finals.

tzznandrew likes this.
  6. aceboon

aceboon

The Thunder became a pretty good defensive team in the playoffs, they didn't look anything at all like what they did in the regular season in the Spurs and GSW series.

tzznandrew likes this.
  7. bballgrda

bballgrda

I'm not sure mucking it up against Warriors is the Cavs best strategy. Its not like last year where Mozgov was relevant, the Warriors may be the better team around the rim. I suppose it depends on how Bogut holds up. I think Draymond will be much more effective in this series and that is a huge factor. If it does turn into a 3pt shoot out the Cavs have a chance to keep pace or out gun them. Its less likely to happen than the opposite result, but its feasible.

8. methodology

methodology

ESPN BPI rankings.

GSW (2) played Houston (13), Portland (14), OKC (3)

Cavs (4) played Detroit (15), Atlanta (7), Toronto (6)

Cavs had the harder schedule. They just made it look easier.

BigErnMcCracken likes this.
  9. methodology

methodology

They did play better D in the playoffs because Donovan did a good job of matching personnel. They still arent as good as a defensive unit as the Cavs and the Cavs dont shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers like the Rockets (27th), Thunder (26th), or Portland (16th)

10. bballgrda

bballgrda

Id be shocked if the Cavs play defense anywhere near the level the Thunder just did. If they do they for sure have a great shot at winning.

tzznandrew and walker11 like this.
  11. UConn990411

UConn990411

Can we retire the phrase "(player X) has been on a mission"? It's overused to the point of being meaningless at this point.

tzznandrew likes this.
  12. aceboon

aceboon

As far as matching up with GSW, the Thunder is the better defensive team imo, the Cavs can't cause the kind of issues that the Thunder did with their length, especially in the paint and at the rim.

Dogdeacon, tzznandrew and superjohn like this.
  13. superjohn

superjohn

If you're saying Cavs faced tougher competition and are saying it with a straight face I'm going to assume you don't watch the NBA.

Dogdeacon likes this.
  14. Scoe

Scoe

I'll take a wait and see approach before making my prediction. The cavs were my preseason pick to win it all so I might stick with it,however I didn't think GS would be this good, I thought they would be great but not all time great like this no one did. GS has a ton of momentum going into the finals so a part of me also says GS.

15. walker11

walker11

I think basically every measure will show that the Cavs faced a cumulatively harder path. That said - this is really a 4 team league and GSW had to face one of the 4 and the Cavs did not.

tzznandrew and aceboon like this.
  16. superjohn

superjohn

Stop looking at numbers for a second and actually watch some games. Toronto finished the season 1 game behind Cleveland. Do you actually think Toronto is even in the same stratosphere as Cleveland? It was embarassing that the Cavs blew two games to that squad, it was an absolute mismatch. None of the teams the Cavs played are even in the same ballpark as OKC. Outside of Cleveland the East blows.

17. walker11

walker11

The Cavs have been quite bad defensively in the playoffs. Lue changed their rotation with a week or two left in the regular season and it has resulted in a far superior offensive team, and a far worse defensive team. And as mentioned previously, they are going to have a terrible time matching up when they rely on guys like Kyrie and K Love.

18. walker11

walker11

I guess my post wasn't very clear to you, probably my fault - my thought is the same as yours - even though the stats say that Cleveland faced a tougher path, GSW faced one of the 4 teams that matters and CLE did not.

19. superjohn

superjohn

My bad on the reading comprehension. Those teams the Cavs played are solid regular season squads but aren't a threat to do anything in the playoffs, I was just trying to express this and misread your post. Most of us thought it would be the Warriors and knew it would the Cavs in the finals. I would say there are about 5 threats in the NBA playoffs and 4 of them are in the West.

20. methodology

methodology

Ironically Love is top 25 this year for defensive efficiency who knows how much that really means though as he hasn't been a great defender in his career. He will probably match up with green and then Thompson on bogut. Jr and shumpert are good enough perimeter defenders and LeBron is consistently overlooked on the defensive end.

Green is also a flagrant/technical from a 1 game suspension I believe

21. champs99and04

champs99and04

I'm surprised this is even a discussion, from what I've observed this postseason the Thunder are a vastly superior defensive team. They made one of the best offenses of all-time work for everything they got.

I'll add though that Kyrie played good defense against Steph in the fraction of a game he played in last years finals, so maybe it's possible that he has an extra gear.

22. TasteofUConn

TasteofUConn

You're a terrible GSW/West homer, you constantly attack the person making the argument rather than the argument, and your logical inconsistencies are awful.
    You don't know this dude, whom you attack. He could watch 4 NBA games a day.
    He started by using the BPI to rank teams GSW and Cavs played. You pejoratively asked him, "you're joking, right?" All the guy did was use some national sports entities numbers - not his own.
    You then insult him and say, "watch some games." The implication, of course, is that he's an idiot who doesn't watch games but posts about them.
    You then say, "stop looking at numbers for a second."

Sir - all you do is look at numbers. Your endless "historically great" echo is based entirely on numbers. As is your "Curry is Jesus" broken record.

The Ws are the best team this year. But the OKChokers showed they are far from complete. No "historically great" team goes down 3-1 and gets annihilated doing it. Did you look at those numbers? Or did you just watch them lose two by twenty and figure out they are really not that great.

Just like Ray bailed LBJ out, the OKChokers and KT bailed out Curry. If KT doesn't become unconscious in game 6, it's a big what about the knee party.

Then, to his credit, Curry looked liked Curry - when the pressure was a lot lower.

We'll see how he does. They have a chance to make the 3-1 turnaround a part of this year's lore. But no excuses. It's theirs to take. If they don't it's because they/he never really were/was that great.

ericsandiego likes this.
  23. lange10

lange10

I'll take the team that has Lebron James. I think he's tired of hearing about Steph being the best player in the league. Been on a mission the entire playoffs. All business, expecting a lot from him tonight.

24. tzznandrew

tzznandrew Some dude

This is largely correct.

The Clippers couldn't win the title, but I'd put a healthy Clips ahead of the Raptors by a lot. But the Dubs avoided them due to injuries.

Portland and Houston were not particularly good. OKC was better by far than any team the Cavs played, though.

25. traitor71

traitor71

That's been a loser more often than not in these championship series. I imagine Cleveland can win a couple of games, but four?