OT: NBA Best Dunker | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Best Dunker

Reaction Score
Vince Carter is retiring after this season, so I thought it would be good conversation to rate the best dunker (overall) that you have ever seen play in the NBA. Not talking contest dunkers or guys who would have a highlight dunk now and then. I'm talking dunkers

I'm old school; Clyde, Jordan, Chocolate Thunder, Dr. J and Vince are up there.

New school: Lebron of course.

But my pick is the Human Highlight:

Reaction Score
I'd throw Shawn Kemp and Blake Griffin in the mix, too... My preference is guys who dunk on people, in traffic, etc. That's real. Tough to beat Dominique, though... One of my fave's as a kid.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
JR "Isaiah" Rider had that nasty through-the-legs dunk. Now everybody does it, but at the time, it was a Wow! moment.

For me, it's MJ, Nique, or Carter.

Carter might be the best ever. He really elevated the dunk costest. Plus, that dunk on Weis was pretty much the most humiliating act I've ever seen in a basketball game.

Rider's dunk:

Teabag:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Did Vince Carter say he's retiring after this year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Member when Blake griffin looked like he'd end up on these lists?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Steve Francis was an insane dunker for like 2 years while I was in middle school.

Reaction Score
1. That article is 1 year old.
2. It says nothing about him retiring

I don't think he's said he's retiring.
Yeah I read it the other day not checking the date.

Reaction Score
Carter has a legit claim to throne as that dunk over Weiss pretty much sets stage for 15+ years now of dunks over people being the go-to move in dunk contests. To do that in a game (is there video of anyone with jump over dunk in an NBA game?) & over someone 7' is insane.

Blake had as solid of run as anyone in league dunking regularly & spectacularly hard for 5-6yrs, I don't think any shame in inevitable age dropoff there especially given his size. You can defy gravity for awhile, but eventually it reminds you who is boss.

I'd go with Westbrook or Greek Freak right now as my favorite dunkers for their ability to do WOW dunks, often in heavy traffic.

Reaction Score
Vince Carter is retiring after this season, so I thought it would be good conversation to rate the best dunker (overall) that you have ever seen play in the NBA. Not talking contest dunkers or guys who would have a highlight dunk now and then. I'm talking dunkers

I'm old school; Clyde, Jordan, Chocolate Thunder, Dr. J and Vince are up there.

New school: Lebron of course.

But my pick is the Human Highlight:

I haven't seen a few of those before. My god, he was sick.

Reaction Score
Carter has a legit claim to throne as that dunk over Weiss pretty much sets stage for 15+ years now of dunks over people being the go-to move in dunk contests. To do that in a game (is there video of anyone with jump over dunk in an NBA game?) & over someone 7' is insane.

There was an article in the NYT a year or so ago about the effect that dunk had on Weiss. Short answer: not a good one.

Reaction Score
After watching Vince vs Wilkins, I gotta give it to Vince. He was just such an angry dunker. Love it!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dominique, David Thompson, Dr J, Vince Carter and Darrell Griffith (Dr Dunkinsten) are at one level
There are many below those 5

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
To me, Dr J and Clyde had a certain grace to many of their dunks, and shared an uncanny knack to float for seemingly impossible time while shifting body position to avoid defenders, and they both made spectacular dunks in traffic in the half court, not just on the break, so they are right up at the top of the list. After that, it's the usual suspects -- Carter, Nique, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom