OT: National champ...local soph...cross country! | The Boneyard

OT: National champ...local soph...cross country!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Sydney Masciarelli....a soph at Marianapolis Prep right here in Ct.
Over the weekend she won the Footlocker high school cross country championship race in California....5K.
She has never run cross country before this year.....qualified for the nationals in the nearby regionals in Van Cortland park.
She won by one second in 17 minutes flat.

I'm guessing that top level track schools have her at/near the top of their list if not there before this season.
BTW: the 8th place finisher....from Ma.. a senior...is headed to Stanford next year. I assume the race had many cross country coaches looking on.

She said that she started off the race conservatively and just picked people off as it went on.
Indoor track this winter? Spring track? There are some all-star meets in June for the elite runners....being a soph I don't know if she is eligible to get an invitation to those events.

Hope she paces herself the rest of the year....sounds like she could be the Christyn Williams of track and field for the class of 2021.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Just googled her qualifier at Van Cortland....won it....no fluke here.

Reaction Score
Definitely no fluke. She is ranked 3rd in the country by DyeStat, and the two ahead of her are a junior (Katelyn Tuohy) and a senior. Tuohy, as you likely know, is a prodigy who may be the best HS distance runner the U.S. has ever produced.

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Sydney Masciarelli....a soph at Marianapolis Prep right here in Ct.
Over the weekend she won the Footlocker high school cross country championship race in California....5K.
She has never run cross country before this year.....qualified for the nationals in the nearby regionals in Van Cortland park.

I'm guessing that top level track schools have her at/near the top of their list if not there before this season.
BTW: the 8th place finisher....from Ma.. a senior...is headed to Stanford next year. I assume the race had many cross country coaches looking on.

She said that she started off the race conservatively and just picked people off as it went on.
Indoor track this winter? Spring track? There are some all-star meets in June for the elite runners....being a soph I don't know if she is eligible to get an invitation to those events.

Hope she paces herself the rest of the year....sounds like she could be the Christyn Williams of track and field for the class of 2021.
She did run cc in middle school I think. Played soccer freshman year, and she’s really good at that too.

Reaction Score

I’m a big Track and Field and Cross Country Junkie. The race was a hell of a race. Came down right to the finish. Everyone that was in that race will be a D1 Runner if they wanna be and most that do well at Foot Locker go on to have great careers in College and most go on to being pros.

Reaction Score
Definitely no fluke. She is ranked 3rd in the country by DyeStat, and the two ahead of her are a junior (Katelyn Tuohy) and a senior. Tuohy, as you likely know, is a prodigy who may be the best HS distance runner the U.S. has ever produced.
Tuohy could go down as the best Female HS distance runner the United States has ever seen. The Girl Sydney out kicked on Saturday is no joke also. Hart She’s also a Junior who’s ran 4:43 for 1600 and 9:52 for 3200.

Reaction Score
Just googled her qualifier at Van Cortland....won it....no fluke here.
Coming from someone who is heavily involved in XC and Track and Field. When You’re going up against very good competition it’s never a fluke and sometimes at qualifying races if You know You’re in the clear to Qualify some will let off the gas a little. But when it comes to facing High Level competition You just have to be on that day. It all comes down to preparing for that day. Peaking is a real science and when You’re coaching a high level runner You have to get it right.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thank you to all you track/cross country gurus for your insights.
There ain't too many of us so we have to blow our horns loudly.
I'd love to see Sydney run come this spring....somewhere.

Best ever who I saw in person....Shalene Flanagan...from eastern Ma.
Now an Olympic medalist....NYC marathon winner...near retirement I think.

I saw her blow away the field in the Ma. high school championships in the 3200 meters.
I chatted a bit with her Mom....with zero idea that Mom was an Olympian from Australia back in the day.

Reaction Score

I saw her blow away the field in the Ma. high school championships in the 3200 meters.
I chatted a bit with her Mom....with zero idea that Mom was an Olympian from Australia back in the day.

I'm a long ago high school harrier.

But thought that Marianapolis Prep was in Massachusetts. No?

Reaction Score

The best I ever saw was Hannah DiBalsi from Westport. Her sophomore year she set the national age group record in the 3200 at 9:55. Unfortunately, although she still runs for Stanford, she never again was as good.

I read an article recently about Tuohy in this regard, how so many terrific young women can’t sustain their successes. The article suggested that young women runners delay menarche which makes them terrific running machines if they have the requisite breathing capacity. However, when puberty does arrive, weight change occurs and adjustment to the new weight can be daunting. Very interesting hypothesis...

Reaction Score

Shalane is a beast that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
The best I ever saw was Hannah DiBalsi from Westport. Her sophomore year she set the national age group record in the 3200 at 9:55. Unfortunately, although she still runs for Stanford, she never again was as good.

I read an article recently about Tuohy in this regard, how so many terrific young women can’t sustain their successes. The article suggested that young women runners delay menarche which makes them terrific running machines if they have the requisite breathing capacity. However, when puberty does arrive, weight change occurs and adjustment to the new weight can be daunting. Very interesting hypothesis...
Some can’t i’ve actually seen it happen. But I don’t think it is gonna affect Tuohy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom