OT: Narduzzi getting a raise | The Boneyard

OT: Narduzzi getting a raise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Figured some would be interested in this:

http://spartannation.com/2013/12/13...to-adjust-underpaid-dc-pat-narduzzi’s-salary/

What we have been told is that, “The $800-$875,000 per year range is where they think it will settle. With bonuses it could be right at $1 million. It would not the best in college football, but certainly viable and a big statement.”

Here are more assistant salaries, so it looks like he would end up being top 5 overall: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/ncaaf/assistant/

Reaction Score
Narduzzi's agent played this one perfectly.

Neil Cornrich has a lot of experience/practice with Bill Belichick, Bob Stoops, Kirk Ferentz, Bo Pelini, Todd Graham, Bret Bielema and Bill O'Brien.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The way I see it , it is when we play Mich St in 4 years while in our new conference, we can tell him to "suck it" in person!!

jho

Reaction Score
Saw this coming on Wednesday. His agent played UConn for more $ and "Coach-in-Waiting" status from MSU. Obviously, the leaked info came from the Narduzzi camp.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The only real question (which will never be answered) is if he would have taken the UConn job if offered. Was he really not interested, or did he realize he was going to get passed over for Diaco and used the PR machine to get the raise and look good in the process? That is my guess...but again, only him and his agent know the truth.

Reaction Score
The only real question (which will never be answered) is if he would have taken the UConn job if offered. Was he really not interested, or did he realize he was going to get passed over for Diaco and used the PR machine to get the raise and look good in the process? That is my guess...but again, only him and his agent know the truth.

I think Warde went into the interviews having Narduzzi ranked one and Diaco a close second.

He interviews Diaco first on Tuesday and Diaco knocks it out of the park. It's all Warde can do, to focus on Narduzzi during his interview. Warde is almost looking for a reason not to go with Narduzzi, again thinking about Diaco's interview.

Warde, being the smart man that he is, starts to see warning signs from Narduzzi and he is now shifting Diaco to number one.

Warde let's Narduzzi do his thing while he plans how to bring Diaco back to CT to finalize everything. Warde called Diaco at 6:45 AM on Wed morning to ask Diaco to come up to CT to work on things (not offering the job yet, but giving a strong impression he wants Diaco as HC).

Narduzzi certainly hasn't called Warde before all this took place, so Narduzzi gets the feeling Warde is leaning elsewhere and to save face, he withdraws.

Chances are Narduzzi was doing the interview to get a raise all along. Warde figures it out from the interview (can't fake enthusiasm can you Bob Diaco?) and reverts to Diaco.

Reaction Score
Well we now know that Narduzzi was never offered the job. It leads me to believe he was using this as leverage to get a raise and he is Bud Foster. Not head coach material. Nothing wrong with that.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
During the interview salary ranges were discussed. WM had 1.5m ballpark in mind and when Narduzzi indicated the 2-2.5M that was thrown around it became clear that wasn't going to happen in the current market.

PN probably had the raise in hand, WM still vetting other candidates, when it became clear he wasn't all-in about the job. PN announced his withdrawal. Nothing needed to be said by either party.

I've seen it a hundred times. I firmly believe BD is the only person to whom Warde actually offered the job. I can't see it happening any other way.

Reaction Score
During the interview salary ranges were discussed. WM had 1.5m ballpark in mind and when Narduzzi indicated the 2-2.5M that was thrown around it became clear that wasn't going to happen in the current market .

Did you read that somewhere or is it your opinion? I'm curious because I haven't seen anything from $$ dollar perspective for head coach other than "Manuel's offer to Narduzzi was 'aggressive' for the head coach".

Reaction Score
still surprised Diaco came in at $1.5 million. Like the $500K retention bonus (and $400K national playoff bonus!) Hope Diaco has more in bank in five years than Narduzzi.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The problem with this approach for Narduzzi is that once you turn 50 and have never been a head coach(which he is very close to now), you have become a "lifetime assistant". That is not a good label to have if you aspire to be a head coach. There are very few examples (can't think of any at the moment, although I am sure it has happened) of first time college football head coaches after 50 that can be classified as successful.

Reaction Score
The problem with this approach for Narduzzi is that once you turn 50 and have never been a head coach(which he is very close to now), you have become a "lifetime assistant". That is not a good label to have if you aspire to be a head coach. There are very few examples (can't think of any at the moment, although I am sure it has happened) of first time college football head coaches after 50 that can be classified as successful.

Charlie Strong. Pretty sure he was 50, or turning 50 when Louisville hired him. Jurich himself has remarked publicly that he was surprised by Strong, and had misguided impressions based on his age.

You are right though, there is a definite age range in which head coaches, typically become head coaches and remain head coaches, and Diaco is right in the sweet spot.

THe other side of this coin, is that head coaches, can have very different approaches about how they handle assistants. Some guys will look for young assistants and groom them to grow, others will take very good young assistants and keep them hidden, and in their pockets such that the do become the "career assistant".

The concept that the University of Connecticut head coaching job might not be desireable, is the fabrication of small, feeble minded sports journalists that are graduates of institutions we've routinely stomped on in athletics.

In the real sports world, when you've got people in charge that know what they're doing, UCONN draws candidates for head coaching jobs, like the past two top assistants in the entire country, that are still under 50 years of age.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did you read that somewhere or is it your opinion? I'm curious because I haven't seen anything from dollar perspective for head coach other than "Manuel's offer to Narduzzi was 'aggressive' for the head coach".

My opinion based on the behaviors of each side. Things moved too quickly for an offer to be extended to Narduzzi as a must have guy, have him consider it, counter, UConn saying no more, and Narduzzi rejecting it. Most likely outcome is nothing formal was ever offered to anyone and WM had more than one acceptable candidate and he felt most comfortable negotiating with Diaco.

On the resume side they are pretty equal and you have to like Diaco's makeup. It's possible that BD was #1 the whole time, but again, from the known actions it seems to me that Warde was in a very comfortable place.

As for the salary, the market favored Warde, with limited jobs out there and a bunch of attractive candidiates, there was no one that Warde had to bid against.

Reaction Score
When you have two candidates that have similar resumés and risk, go with the one that flat out wants the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom