OT- Mutombo Hall of Fame | The Boneyard

OT- Mutombo Hall of Fame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I always like Dikembe as a player and person but I'm shocked he is leading the class into the Hall of Fame. He was a very good player but he was never even one of the top centers when he played, pretty shocked he is a Hall of Famer.

Reaction Score
Got in for his longevity...he played until he was in his 40's.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm more of an inclusionist when it comes to the hall of fame. If you're REALLY great at something, like blocked shots, I think it pushes you over the edge... he averaged a double double for his career too.. no one's putting Mark Eaton in.

Reaction Score
This is an astonishing statement even by Boneyard standards.
Astonishing statement? Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing and Mourning are all easily better than him. So at best he was the 6th best center of his generation. He's one of the best shot blockers ever but averaging 10 and 10 for your career just doesn't scream Hall of Fame to me.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
There are far bigger injustices going on in the world of basketball than Dikembe Mutombo making the Hall of Fame. My two cents.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Astonishing statement? Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson, Ewing and Mourning are all easily better than him. So at best he was the 6th best center of his generation. He's one of the best shot blockers ever but averaging 10 and 10 for your career just doesn't scream Hall of Fame to me.
One of my early memories paying attention to college basketball was seeing Mutombo and Mourning on the same Georgetown team and thinking that was pretty unfair. But I'm not sure you could say Mourning was "easily" the better of the two.

Reaction Score
I always like Dikembe as a player and person but I'm shocked he is leading the class into the Hall of Fame. He was a very good player but he was never even one of the top centers when he played, pretty shocked he is a Hall of Famer.

You can't just look at his NBA career. It is the Basketball Hall of Fame. Things a guy does in college and internationally can be an important piece of a guys credentials. Bill Walton is a prime example of this.

Reaction Score
You can't just look at his NBA career. It is the Basketball Hall of Fame. Things a guy does in college and internationally can be an important piece of a guys credentials. Bill Walton is a prime example of this.
True but Mutombo never had any major international success playing and he never won anything in college, Walton is the best college player ever. Maybe they factored in Mutombo's great charitable contributions in his homeland.

Reaction Score

What's weird is that despite playing at the same time as those (hall of fame) guys, he was named all-NBA three times because people didn't use the foolpoof career averages in points and rebounds to determine whether someone is one of the three best players at a certain position at any given point in time. Those dummies!

Reaction Score
What's weird is that despite playing at the same time as those (hall of fame) guys, he was named all-NBA three times because people didn't use the foolpoof career averages in points and rebounds to determine whether someone is one of the three best players at a certain position at any given point in time. Those dummies!
Why on earth would people use career averages to determine all-NBA teams?

Reaction Score
He should be in for that GEICO commercial alone. Basketball just put him over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom