OT: Music once meh, now rocks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Dove, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Dove

Dove We can't stop what's comin.

Was driving earlier and Great White came on and instantly I cranked the volume waaaay up. Love these guys. But back in HS they did nothing for me.

Name some bands/artists that you really enjoy hearing today but back in your youth you just weren't into them. Just plain ignored.

Some for me:

Judas Priest...man, Halford was an all-time great rock vocalist.

Great White...great grooves, vocals and style.

Bad Company...another all-time great vocalist in Paul Rodgers.

The Clash...sadly missed these guy. Now love Mick Jones and Joe Strummer's stuff.

Discuss.

bobbygt, NightDog and Huskies4ever like this.
  2. RichZ

RichZ Methuselah's older brother

Champion Jack Dupree, Professor Longhair (Roy Byrd), Elmore James, Otis Spann.

Yeah, my youth was kinda earlier than most of the yard. But as much as I enjoyed R&B in the '50s and early '60s, I had no real appreciation for the blues until I was in my late 30s. These days, about 90% of what I listen to is postwar blues.

3. upstater

upstater

Agree on Judas Priest. Clash never meh in first place. Bad Company is the reason why Classic Rock died, and they should never be revived. "Here come the jesters, 1 2 3?" Really? Horrible. You knew it was all over with that one line.

4. upstater

upstater

Sometimes early 80s pop rock comes on my radio as I'm driving, and I find some bands/singers are surprisingly much better than I remembered them. Billy Idol, for instance, I just didn't like the guy (because all the girls did) but 30 years later, those were some surprisingly good pop songs. Dancing With Myself, for instance, blows away a lot of what you hear today--though Eyes Without a Face is horrendous. And take a band like the Eurythmics. Much better than they were ever given credit for. Recently heard Love is a Stranger on the radio, and I was again surprised at how well it holds up.

Huskies4ever likes this.
  5. tdrink

tdrink

Chicago- hated the Peter Cetera era so much I despised the band. But they were incredible when Terry Kath was alive and I watch their old concert footage all the time.

The Black Keys- first song I heard was Lonely Boy. Couldn't figure out the hype. Watched some of their early concert footage recently and now I am a huge fan.

Alice in Chains- was living in Japan when they blew up so I didn't hear them on the radio. A friend who was a big fan introduced me to them but he liked and played all their darkest stuff and I wrote them off as drug addled suicide music. Took another decade before I figured out Man in the Box was their song and now I can't believe how many great songs they have. Same type of thing happened with Black Sabbath.

6. Huskybass

Huskybass

Early Chicago
    Marshall Tucker
    Grateful Dead

I also grew to appreciate bands like Led Zep, Yes and Cream far more than when I was young, although I always liked them.

CL82, August_West and Chin Diesel like this.
  7. sledog

sledog

Go way back to MC5 - when rock was explosive. Come to think of it, MC5 became big when they played in the Chicago Park during the Dem convention in '68 (?)

Seedy and Huskies4ever like this.
  8. Waquoit

Waquoit

The Carpenters - One day I woke up and decided that I didn't hate them anymore.

bobbygt and Huskies4ever like this.
  9. Chin Diesel

Chin Diesel Power of Love

Fortunately I never like sucky music. Lol.

Stuff I've been listening to much more include Hendrix, early Chicago, Boston, anything Muscles Shoals related, Smashing Pumpkins and funk/blues from early 70's.

The funk that led to disco usually had full horn sections, multiple drummers ,harmonies, etc. There wasn't any mixing going on. You needed to make the music with instruments.

alexd., Hankster and Huskies4ever like this.
  10. 8893

8893 Curiouser

Classical music.

tzznandrew, James, CL82 and 3 others like this.
  11. nomar

nomar

The track Bad Company, off the album Bad Company, by the band Bad Company will rock my face off TILL THE DAY I DIE.

Huskies4ever, UC313, John and 5 others like this.
  12. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac

Van Morrison. Don't care if I hear Brown Eyed Girl ever again but my 18 yr old son "discovered" Morrison while watching The Last Waltz. Several days later, he reintroduced me to Astral Weeks. I put that album on a continuous loop for about a month. Hadn't heard it in 25 years.

Same with Pet Sounds. Meh in 1973 when I heard it for the first time. Now? Fabulous.

13. JimOllie

JimOllie

14. lne001

lne001

Very good choices IMO. I went from listening to classic rock and early R&B to almost strictly blues in my early 50's (way too late). I listen now to everything from Bessie Smith to Buddy Guy.

15. The Viking

The Viking

Hey tdrink
    Re: Alice, Jar of Flies is one of the greatest albums ever. Great story too - they come back from tour and are kicked out of their place for not paying rent.
    So they stay in a studio and write/record a song a day.
    One week later brilliance is complete and they release Jar.
    Rotten apple, nutshell, i stay away, no excuses, whale and wasp, don't follow.
    Jesus what an album

16. TRest

TRest Horrible

Earth wind and fire. They were a staple of the junior high dances but they weren't rock, man.

Horatio likes this.
  17. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

So true. You look up early Funk Bands like you mention and all had horn sections. I don't think Shalamar did, but had a full band. Earth Wind and Fire comes to mind. I was open minded and a few likes. During the mid to late 70's I would go the club/disco and party on a Friday night and go to a rock concert on Saturday. OR, vise versa. I did enjoy the 80's. Hair Bands. Seemed like all front men had a the same voice. I thought Pat Benetar was my favorite female group as the Run Aways, then when the band broke up she stormed on. However, I have to give Vixen the nod for my best female group.

Huskies4ever likes this.
  18. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Highway jams. The on ramp to the interstate and crank up Bachman Turner Overdrive, Sammy Hagar, Molly Hatchett, few from Jo Jo Gunne and many more.

19. 8893

8893 Curiouser

For those mentioning horn-driven music like Chicago and E, W & F, check out Tower of Power again if you missed them the first time around. Sure you may recall "What is Hip?," but they have an entire catalogue of irresistible soul and funk that still sounds great today. I checked their What is Hip? two-disc anthology out of our local library a few years ago and was stunned to remember how many great tracks they had. Heard this gem on the radio the other day and it seemed as timely and as topical as ever:

Horatio, Huskies4ever and Chin Diesel like this.
  20. alexd.

alexd.

Van Morrison had an amazing run from 69-71...Astral Weeks, Moondance, Tupelo Honey...all classic albums.

WillB4 and Dogbreath2U like this.
  21. tomtom80

tomtom80

Disco... Only kidding . Hate it

22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy a lot of people go to college for seven years

I didn't dislike the music in the least when I was younger, but definitely got into a Bowie kick after his passing. Classic stuff that I really hadn't listened to in years.

Huskies4ever and 8893 like this.
  23. huskyniner

huskyniner

Counting Crows. Until about a year ago, all I knew was "Mr. Jones". One day I fired up a Pandora station and now they're one of my favorite bands.

intlzncster likes this.
  24. Kembacity

Kembacity

That first album had a whole lot of good on it, I probably wouldn't like it as much now but yeah, great rainy day music

I'm a 1982 baby, and some 80s music I was strangely into as a kid (Tears for Fears, Steve Winwood, Phil Collins/Genesis) but a lot I wasn't that has grown on me heavily in the last decade or so. Never had any interest in Billy Joel but now I appreciate it, and Hall & Oates has shot up in a big way, "I Can't Go For That" specifically

Huskies4ever likes this.
  25. BigErnMcCracken

BigErnMcCracken

Basically everything my parents listened to when I was a kid.

RichZ, imno1, Huskies4ever and 3 others like this.