OT: Mr. Jackson ought to take lessons from Keyshawn Johnson

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Gonna post what Key said about pulling his son, in case nobody clicks:

“One thing you will not do as my son is you will not embarrass Nebraska, you will not embarrass Mike Riley and you will not embarrass this family,” the elder Johnson told the Omaha World-Herald. “If you mature and you’re ready to resume your football career and academic goals, then Nebraska will be ready to embrace you.”

When Johnson Sr. was asked what Jr. thought about the move, he said: “I never asked him...At the end of the day, I don’t think that decision was in his hands. He squandered that decision. He still wants to play football, and he still wants to play for Nebraska. But if you don’t do the things you’re supposed to do, under the guidelines of me, it’s not going to happen.”

“You’ve watched — on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter — everything’s a big party,” Johnson Sr. said. “You just want to get to college to party, but you don’t understand: You’re playing college football. It’s a business. And it’s a serious business. If you want to become successful — make it to the NFL — you’ve got to embrace it. You’ve got to own it. You don’t make it to the next level by cruising. There’s no cruise control.

“There’s no ‘Mike Riley is good friends with Keyshawn, so his son’s automatically going to play.’ That’s not the game. That’s not why he went to Nebraska. He went there to work his tail off. To have an opportunity to be successful. But when you don’t do that — and you squander that — what are you going to do?”

The father clearly has some influence with his kid. My guess is Sr. had no authority to do so if his son is at least 18.

Good for Sr.

But I do have one question on the swipe at Lavar Ball. He seems to be a character, but did his son get in trouble in college?

RichZ

Methuselah's older brother
But I do have one question on the swipe at Lavar Ball. He seems to be a character, but did his son get in trouble in college?
Not at all. It's about the father being willing to readily admit that his spawn just might not be perfect, and to take responsibility rather than promotional opportunities.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Two different fathers - Ball vs Johnson
Johnson appears to make sure his actions have some impact on his son's future while Ball's father is hoping his actions involving his son will have a personal impact on himself.
I agree that all the Ball kids appear to be really good students and do not get in trouble, etc. but can't help to think that the mother may be behind much of this. They were interviewing Ball Sr the other night during a game in Las Vegas and man, the guy is a complete arse.

Gonna post what Key said about pulling his son, in case nobody clicks:

“One thing you will not do as my son is you will not embarrass Nebraska, you will not embarrass Mike Riley and you will not embarrass this family,” the elder Johnson told the Omaha World-Herald. “If you mature and you’re ready to resume your football career and academic goals, then Nebraska will be ready to embrace you.”

When Johnson Sr. was asked what Jr. thought about the move, he said: “I never asked him...At the end of the day, I don’t think that decision was in his hands. He squandered that decision. He still wants to play football, and he still wants to play for Nebraska. But if you don’t do the things you’re supposed to do, under the guidelines of me, it’s not going to happen.”

“You’ve watched — on Instagram, on Facebook, on Twitter — everything’s a big party,” Johnson Sr. said. “You just want to get to college to party, but you don’t understand: You’re playing college football. It’s a business. And it’s a serious business. If you want to become successful — make it to the NFL — you’ve got to embrace it. You’ve got to own it. You don’t make it to the next level by cruising. There’s no cruise control.

“There’s no ‘Mike Riley is good friends with Keyshawn, so his son’s automatically going to play.’ That’s not the game. That’s not why he went to Nebraska. He went there to work his tail off. To have an opportunity to be successful. But when you don’t do that — and you squander that — what are you going to do?”
Good Stuff, sounds like some Parcells rubbed off on Keyshawn!

intlzncster

The father clearly has some influence with his kid. My guess is Sr. had no authority to do so if his son is at least 18.

Good for Sr.

Yeah, he's a good dad. Annoying as all hell shut the frack up you blowhard lavar ball. But he's not a bad dude.

I agree that all the Ball kids appear to be really good students and do not get in trouble, etc. but can't help to think that the mother may be behind much of this. They were interviewing Ball Sr the other night during a game in Las Vegas and man, the guy is a complete arse.
He's a promoter and he loves his kids. He doesn't need their money. A lot of people I know would have loved to have had a father that involved in their lives growing up.

intlzncster

Good for Sr.

Yeah, the kid enrolled early in Spring Practice. So he easily could have been 17 at the time.