OT: Missouri Football, Baseball, Softball | The Boneyard

OT: Missouri Football, Baseball, Softball

Reaction Score
Looks like Mizzou is taking it on the nose for academic fraud

NCAA penalizes Missouri in academic fraud case

But I remember from the UNC case that UNC got off all because of one reason: the NCAA does not take liberty to define academic fraud, and essentially relies on schools to operate in good faith to report fraud and accept the NCAA’s ruling. Yet here we have

“The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions found that Kumar violated NCAA ethical conduct, academic misconduct and academic extra benefits rules when she completed academic work for 12 student-athletes.”

So the unethical misconduct is to be policed in some cases and not others when it comes to the NCAA. Water is wet and all, I know, but am I missing something here? There was a similarly involved whistle blower in the UNC case who reported fraud, but that was ignored. In fact, later in the article, the NCAA specifically tried to differentiate the two cases.

Among other differences, UNC stood by the courses and the grades it awarded student-athletes," the report said. "In support of that position, UNC asserted that although courses were created and graded by an office secretary, student-athletes completed their own work. Here, by contrast, Missouri acknowledged that the tutor completed student-athletes' work and, in most instances, this conduct violated its honor code."

Just incredible

Reaction Score
I don’t know why every university doesn’t just lie to the NCAA. They can’t be Subpoenad so there are no consequences, Carolina proved that. The NCAA is a joke.

Reaction Score

>>None of this will ever change unless the schools—which make the NCAA’s rules and set up the NCAA’s disciplinary process—demand a change and then make that change. By their unwillingness to make any meaningful change, we should assume the schools are perfectly happy with a system that feels as if it doles out punishments by throwing darts at a board.

The people at the schools are the only ones who can effect change. And they don’t seem to care until they’re on the business end of a penalty that feels chosen at random.<<

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom