OT: Misquamicut Beach area | The Boneyard

OT: Misquamicut Beach area

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I visited last year for an afternoon & the wife plus 6 yr old want to make a few trips this year. Any suggestions for an 1-2 night hotel stay & drive back to CT.

Where do you like to eat in the Westerly/Narrg. area? Friends enjoy the Coast Guard House & we ate at Aunt Carries last year but it was a longer ride than we expected & a little overated. Cakes sandy enough to break a molar.

Reaction Score
I visited last year for an afternoon & the wife plus 6 yr old want to make a few trips this year. Any suggestions for an 1-2 night hotel stay & drive back to CT.

Where do you like to eat in the Westerly/Narrg. area? Friends enjoy the Coast Guard House & we ate at Aunt Carries last year but it was a longer ride than we expected & a little overated. Cakes sandy enough to break a molar.

You need to go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar (East Matunuk)and the Two Ten Oyster Bar in Wakefield.

Reaction Score
You need to go to the Matunuk Oyster Bar (East Matunuk)and the Two Ten Oyster Bar in Wakefield.
Just went to Matunuk Oyster Bar last weekend. Place was packed at about 2:00 in the afternoon even in April. They said there's at least a 2 hour wait during the summer. Food was good and the place was pretty cool. I could see myself hanging out at the bar and outdoor patio for many hours during the summer.

If you like Spanish/Mediterranean food everyone says we need to go to Spain of Narragansett.

Reaction Score
Matunuck’s is a great place, but as mentioned before, you need to get there early because by 3-4 o’clock the place is packed.

As far as the beach, if you dont like crowds, and Misquamicut gets extremely crowded on weekends in the summer, try the Matunuck beach. Its way less crowded and I believe it costs less to park there as well.

Reaction Score
Mews Tavern in Wakefield would be a cool place for your 6 year old Gem. Has a tree in the middle of the restaurant as well as kayaks and other stuff hanging all over. Solid food more of the family style with a little one.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People need to clam up about the RI shore in this area. Matunuck Oyster Bar was great ten years ago when I didn't need to get there at 11:00 a.m. or worry about valet parking and a 45-minute wait under even the best of circumstances. Two Ten was great before everyone found out it, too, and the last few times there's been a wait and service was lacking. Forget about Coast Guard House. Walked out without even ordering last time. The problem remains that Rhode Island has a great shoreline, very good chowder and very little else to commend it. The few places that are shockingly decent get overrun by all the CT and MA vistors who are starved for any semblance of culture.

Best bet imo is putting the money into getting a place on the water where you can bring your own great booze and your own great food and live like a king in your own place with a great setting. At least once during the vacation I get a bunch of oysters and shuck them myself at the place we rent; screw you oyster bars!!!

Reaction Score
Mews Tavern in Wakefield would be a cool place for your 6 year old Gem. Has a tree in the middle of the restaurant as well as kayaks and other stuff hanging all over. Solid food more of the family style with a little one.

and 69 beers available. They say 'no crap on tap'...there's crap, but also quite a few good choices.
People need to clam up about the RI shore in this area. Matunuck Oyster Bar was great ten years ago when I didn't need to get there at 11:00 a.m. or worry about valet parking and a 45-minute wait under even the best of circumstances. Two Ten was great before everyone found out it, too, and the last few times there's been a wait and service was lacking. Forget about Coast Guard House. Walked out without even ordering last time. The problem remains that Rhode Island has a great shoreline, very good chowder and very little else to commend it. The few places that are shockingly decent get overrun by all the CT and MA vistors who are starved for any semblance of culture.

Best bet imo is putting the money into getting a place on the water where you can bring your own great booze and your own great food and live like a king in your own place with a great setting. At least once during the vacation I get a bunch of oysters and shuck them myself at the place we rent; screw you oyster bars!!!

Or...could just live here...

Reaction Score

Where do you rent? Looking for a place to spend a week this summer before heading to VT for a week or two. Thought about the Cape but honestly, I’ve hated it the last couple times. The traffic is awful.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
and 69 beers available. They say 'no crap on tap'...there's crap, but also quite a few good choices.

Or...could just live here...

Mostly crap, but yeah a few good options and a fun place on occasion. Brickley's ice cream is the best thing about Wakefield imo.

Where do you rent? Looking for a place to spend a week this summer before heading to VT for a week or two. Thought about the Cape but honestly, I’ve hated it the last couple times. The traffic is awful.

Did the Cape and mostly the Vineyard for decades but the logistics got so involved that it killed the joy in the trip. We rent in Green Hill Beach.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Mostly crap, but yeah a few good options and a fun place on occasion. Brickley's ice cream is the best thing about Wakefield imo.

Did the Cape and mostly the Vineyard for decades but the logistics got so involved that it killed the joy in the trip. We rent in Green Hill Beach.

Brickley's is great, maybe only a small notch below the UCONN Dairy Bar.

We have a family place on the water in Charlestown Beach. A guy I used to work with back in the very early 70's made the best quote I have ever heard about Cape Cod: "The whole place is a clip joint."

Reaction Score
Also near Matunuck there is Ocean Mist. Westerly there is Ella's, use to have good half priced before 5. The Bridge and Guyatanno's.

Ahh Idaho, The Mist, good call. Not really with a 6 year old but if you want a great view in an old bar with really underrated food then DI is correct. I have a spot in the summer about 200 yards from that and The Pub (the owner of the Mist finally bought this also for a side to side venue, they are redoing the kitchen as we speak and will be ready soon). He also bought the restaurant across the street which several people have tried to make work but failed, and he is opening Matunuck Pizza Pie Company one of which he has on Block Island. Matunuck is a fun little spot no doubt, with Westerly 10-12 minutes south and Naragansett about 5-6 minutes north.

And GEM, you really need to try breakfast at the Ocean Mist when it is much better for the family. Their breakfast is tremendous and get there early and grab a table outside with the surf running below. With a little luck you may even saw mau there with his better half lol

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

Wow. I was on the phone yesterday with the RI Chamber. I didn't realize it is only a stretch of beach. I have a large RV and was wondering where I can go in RI. There is only one place and it is already full for the year. My brother has a pop up so he can go anywhere.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Wow. I was on the phone yesterday with the RI Chamber. I didn't realize it is only a stretch of beach. I have a large RV and was wondering where I can go in RI. There is only one place and it is already full for the year. My brother has a pop up so he can go anywhere.

Hankster is Fisherman's in Narragansett booked?

Fishermen's Memorial State Park

Reaction Score

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also near Matunuck there is Ocean Mist.

Ahh Idaho, The Mist, good call. Not really with a 6 year old but if you want a great view in an old bar with really underrated food then DI is correct.

And GEM, you really need to try breakfast at the Ocean Mist when it is much better for the family. Their breakfast is tremendous and get there early and grab a table outside with the surf running below. With a little luck you may even saw mau there with his better half lol

Or 8893 and his harem. Crab Benny and two spicy Bloodys and I am good for the day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom