OT - Mint.com | The Boneyard

OT - Mint.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
does anyone use this website to see their accounts all in one place... credit card, banking, retirement etc.

tells what you're spending, over-spending, due dates etc.

Im sure there's other software, website and "people" who handle this stuff for some of you guys.

just a interesting website

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I just stick with the individual on-line sites of the various financial folks I have - I figure they all have security breaches at some point, but would like any one that affects me to be as localized as possible. Free services scare the heck out of me.

Reaction Score
does anyone use this website to see their accounts all in one place... credit card, banking, retirement etc.

tells what you're spending, over-spending, due dates etc.

Im sure there's other software, website and "people" who handle this stuff for some of you guys.

just a interesting website
I had set up my stuff on Mint.com, but I have a tried and true budgeting system using spreadsheets and Quicken so really don't use it much.. However, my 22 year old son in Cali uses Mint to track his spending, student loan due dates, car payments, etc. Since the youth of today do not know what it means to balance a checkbook or even WRITE anything in the check register, this site is very useful in keeping track of where his money goes and how much he has in his accounts at any given point in time. He set up a budget through mint.com, and he says it works well for him.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I downloaded a few of them to look at, but I could never talk myself into giving a stranger my logins and passwords.....

Too many places getting hacked these days....

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I downloaded a few of them to look at, but I could never talk myself into giving a stranger my logins and passwords.....

Too many places getting hacked these days....
I understand... I'm a risk taker, if they want it they can get it. I will say that Personal Capital is amazing.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've heard several people getting hacked on mint. The insecurity of the web is a real issue. The most secure version of that type of accumulator and calculators is available from investment advisers, it's called e-money. Other than that I'd be hesitant to give more financial information to the hackers of the world.

imho we're reaching a critical point where security will need to be focused on but for right now, any open network you use or nonencrypted (non- https) site opens the door to losing info. Mr. Robot and Person of Interest provide a simplistic but real view of the info that is collected or collectible on you every day.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I've been on Mint for years, knock on wood... not a problem. Credit Karma, Credit Seaseme and Personal Capital (only for about 2 months) have been helpful to me

Drumguy

Reaction Score
I've been on Mint for years, knock on wood... not a problem. Credit Karma, Credit Seaseme and Personal Capital (only for about 2 months) have been helpful to me
I'm not paranoid enough (except about CR) to believe we all have huge exposure, it's when an individual accepts a spam trojan or virus, all of your info is nicely summarized with passwords attached! Personally I keep one of the credit monitoring services on and hope that having decent passwords is enough! I do use emoney but my adviser pays for it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I like to see the charts, I love how they show me what I bought thru my swipes... they tell me when my bills are due.. Of course I can do all of this by myself but I enjoy the technology. My net worth... my stocks (401k) up, down growth... suggestions on other low interest loans etc.

I think every young adult should use Mint to see their spending or saving habits. Mint is an eye opener if your honest about your accounts.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Money talk isn't discussed enough with college age kids, retirement is the last thing on their mind but we know they should be saving for retirement from the age of 21

Reaction Score
I just stick with the individual on-line sites of the various financial folks I have - I figure they all have security breaches at some point, but would like any one that affects me to be as localized as possible. Free services scare the heck out of me.
As the Romanian, Russian, Surbian, Crimea have said---nothing is safe from hacking. The Pentagon's files, Hillary's server, Corporations, Hospitals---so why use an "online", "cloud", free site to keep track of all your financial accounts?? Once you are bitten, it may be too late!! I use Excel and keep it all on a separate HD. I tried to get an entity to only transfer data at random times and get off the internet otherwise--the ONLY safer (nothing is completely safe) way to do it. The govt like many is locked into the internet (for now).

Last edited:

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Money talk isn't discussed enough with college age kids, retirement is the last thing on their mind but we know they should be saving for retirement from the age of 21
This is so true. I approached the school of business (through their advisory committee) a number of years ago about having a Reality 101 course for all seniors - basic discussion about taxes, insurance, car loans, etc. Nothing ever came of it. We actually do a very poor job of financially educating our children.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is so true. I approached the school of business (through their advisory committee) a number of years ago about having a Reality 101 course for all seniors - basic discussion about taxes, insurance, car loans, etc. Nothing ever came of it. We actually do a very poor job of financially educating our children.
adults don't want to talk about it... due to embarassment of bills backed up, loans in collections, 401k tapped and nothing saved in their regular accts.

the money that we see in a lifetime is amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104