OT Mike Golic Questions the Breakup of Mike and Mike | The Boneyard

OT Mike Golic Questions the Breakup of Mike and Mike

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mike Golic: ESPN ending 'Mike and Mike' like 'splitting face cards at a blackjack table'

I wonder if Mike Greenberg will be successful hosting a Sports/Pop Culture show on ESPN in the morning. My initial opinion is it won't be. At the same time I question if a Mike Golic, His Son and Trey Wingo will be as successful as Mike and Mike was.

I don't work, so usually, I watch, Mike and Mike at 6 AM, depending on the flow of the show, might turn over to Fox's First take with Chris Carter at 6:30 AM. During NFL season, will usually turn over to watch Pro Football Talk at 7 AM. Used to also flip channels to watch Morning Joe depending on what has happened in the News.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mike Golic: ESPN ending 'Mike and Mike' like 'splitting face cards at a blackjack table'

I wonder if Mike Greenberg will be successful hosting a Sports/Pop Culture show on ESPN in the morning. My initial opinion is it won't be. At the same time I question if a Mike Golic, His Son and Trey Wingo will be as successful as Mike and Mike was.

I don't work, so usually, I watch, Mike and Mike at 6 AM, depending on the flow of the show, might turn over to Fox's First take with Chris Carter at 6:30 AM. During NFL season, will usually turn over to watch Pro Football Talk at 7 AM. Used to also flip channels to watch Morning Joe depending on what has happened in the News.

My understanding is that Goldberg initiated the breakup because he wanted to live in the city and do other stuff.

I did like the general "jock - fan" chemistry of Mike and Mike . Trey Wingo drives me nuts. Cannot stand him so I will not go there and the Fox show is completely charmless and humorless. I now gravitate more to the CBSSN Boomer Esiason show which at least focuses much more on local sports which I like and has some humor without the over the top stuff that Carton did.

I think the new Greenberg show will be good not because of Greenberg who I think is generally overrated but the new co-hosts Michelle Beadle, and Jalen Rose. I am big fans of both of them. They have a good sense of humor which I like and I like any push towards basketball.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Used to also flip channels to watch Morning Joe depending on what has happened in the News.

So you were the one watching..........:rolleyes:

Interesting article. 12 surgeries? Now there`s an argument for not playing football.

Also I did not know that ending the show came as a shock to Golic. Also odd how it went down, that Greenie didn`t speak to him first.

18 years is a long time. I think Mike and the Mad Dog lasted 19 years before parting ways.

The jock/nerd dynamic worked for a long, long time, but probably had run its course. Also had the impression that Greenie prepared pretty hard for the show, but Golic not so much.

I used to watch and listen to ESPN all the time, not so much any more though. Part of it, I think, is simply being oversaturated and probably less interested in sports generally, especially professional sports. Happy to say much more interested in UConn WCBB, though! Another part - pretty clear ESPN`s target audience is a whole lot younger and cooler than I am, and the ESPN giants of my generation have largely moved on.

Reaction Score
I dont watch ESPN much anymore except when a Uconn game is on. I have been a Raiders fan since the Ken Stabler days. I stayed away from there shows because of who they would hire. The worse decision they made, IMO, was hiring Ray Lewis! Just like OJ who killed his wife and her friend. Ray Lewis was involved with killing those 2 people in Atlanta. Where is your white suit with the blood all over it Ray? He says he turned his life over god and he stopped doing all that crap he was doing when that happened. He is full of it! I happen to live across the street from ESPN and visit some of the restaurants and bars that the personallities frequent and he hasnt stopped! I have been living here over 20 years! I dont want a double murderer in my city! Baseball wont put Pete Rose, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds in the HOF for what they did! The football HOF should not let Ray Lewis in because he was active at the time of those murders. If he is elected to the HOF! They will lose this fan of 45 years forever!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
My understanding is that Goldberg initiated the breakup because he wanted to live in the city and do other stuff.

Greenberg has said the decision was entirely that of the network's.

Reaction Score
my worst days at work sound a lot better than watching any of those shows you mention. thanks for putting that in perspective.

Reaction Score
Doofus sports nerd paired with very intelligent jock.....Golic made the show work IMO. Greenie was the perfect foil. Golic will do fine but can't see Greenberg carrying a show. Be interesting to see how he works with Beadle.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I was a regular listener [radio] to the show on early morning walks. The new show imo will not be near as good given
the bits and pieces of Wingo I have heard. I thought Greenie drove the bus on the olde one in terms of issues and flow.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Doofus sports nerd paired with very intelligent jock.....Golic made the show work IMO. Greenie was the perfect foil. Golic will do fine but can't see Greenberg carrying a show. Be interesting to see how he works with Beadle.

If they are smart, they will really give Beadle and Jalen Rose as much input and exposure as Greenberg. He is fine in limited doses but should not dominate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom