OT- Michigan Basketball Team Survives Failed Plane Take-Off En Route To B1G Tournament | The Boneyard

OT- Michigan Basketball Team Survives Failed Plane Take-Off En Route To B1G Tournament

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Witnesses recall Michigan basketball's plane wreck; the pilot 'saved our lives'

Those who were there describe confusion, fear, panic and anger.

Michigan basketball's team plane skid off the runway at Willow Run Airport on Wednesday afternoon, the result of heavy winds and an aborted takeoff.

On Thursday morning, nearly 24 hours after their intended arrival, the Wolverines are wearing practice uniforms for their 12:20 tipoff versus Illinois in the Big Ten Tournament.

According to those who were there, Michigan's team plane never lifted off on Wednesday. Amid heavy winds, the plane sped down the runway before the pilot slammed on the brakes, sending the plane sliding through the end of the runway.

The landing gear collapsed and the plane went through a fence and, as one descriptor said, "the pilot opted to veer to the side instead of going toward buildings."

Jeez. Really scary stuff in here. Glad to see everyone is okay. Crazy they came out and spanked Illinois today too.

Reaction Score
That kid Austin Hatch isn't still on the team, is he? I remember reading he survived I believe it was two plane crashes.

Reaction Score
Michigan played in their practice uniforms. I guess the whole thing didn't effect them negatively since they won by 20.

Reaction Score
Michigan is really peaking at the right time IMO*. They have looked good in many of the games they have played in the past month or so. They could be a very dangerous 10 seed and no 2 seed wants to see them I am sure. If they get the 8/9, I would not want to see them in the second round if I was Gonzaga (though I think the other potential 1s can take care of Michigan).

*8-2 in their last ten with the two losses being to a very solid Nwestern team by 2 and a much improved and talented Minnesota team by 5, both on the road.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That kid Austin Hatch isn't still on the team, is he? I remember reading he survived I believe it was two plane crashes.

No. He was a undergrad student assistant last year but he was not on the plane. This was immediately where my mind went as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom