OT -- Michel Legrand, Pianist and Film Composer, Dies at 86 | The Boneyard

OT -- Michel Legrand, Pianist and Film Composer, Dies at 86

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Somehow betwenn 1957 and 1959 Michel Legrand was able to bring together in NYC some of the seminal jazz figures of the time including Miles Davis , John Coltrane , Bill Evans , Ben Webster and Donald Byrd, Paul Chambers, Herbie Mann, Phil Wood, Hank Jones, Milt Hinton and many more to create "Legrand Jazz". It was the last session Miles performed as a sideman. It wasn't great jazz, but it was truly an incredible, once in a lifetime gathering. It's also a terrific sounding record, and yes, I have three of them. RIP to a great musical visionary, and someone who clearly had the gift of gab.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As noted above, he was already an accomplished jazz pianist prior to the mid-60's, but he achieved a 2nd life, and became something of a composing rival to Henry Mancini, when he scored such popular movies as The Thomas Crown Affair ("Windmills of Your Mind"), The Go-Between, Summer of '42, and Brian's Song. All the main theme songs from these films became Top 100 hits. Another movie score from the same period, The Happy Ending, included the beautiful "What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life?" I can still hear my mother humming that tune. Rest in peace.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom