OT: Michael Porter Junior/Senior | The Boneyard

OT: Michael Porter Junior/Senior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
From the looks of it, Missouri hiring pops is going to land them his number one rated son. Who in turn may help them land fellow top ten player Kevin Knox, and all but secured a commitment from top 30 big man Jeremiah Tilmon.

My point being, this is how you land players now. Memphis did it with the Lawsons, Freakin Missouri might get two top 30 players.

If it were up to me, RJ Barretts dad would have a job tomorrow.

pj

Reaction Score
Washington should have done everything to get Markelle Fultz to commit. A potential #1 pick in the NBA draft, he would make their program. Wait - how did that work out?

You can't disrupt your coaching staff to get one player, especially if he's around for only one year. If you do that, you are saying your coaching staff sucks.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why are schools doing this if it doesn't make sense? I think Missouri will be much better next year with Porter Jr, rather than an assistant coach. Memphis would've been nothing without the Lawsons.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hypothetical:

Swap Moore/Killings for Porter Senior, you gain the three players mentioned in the OP, would anyone not do that?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical:

Swap Moore/Killings for Porter Senior, you gain the three players mentioned in the OP, would anyone not do that?
Okay and what would you do when two of those three players are gone after next year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Okay and what would you do when two of those three players are gone after next year?
Recruit new players? Coming off a winning season will make it easier to recruit players, it sets them up for long term success.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Recruit new players? Coming off a winning season will make it easier to recruit players, it sets them up for long term success.

To echo those above me, what kind of long-term success did Memphis or UW get?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical:

This is a measure for a desperate program. We may fall there some day, but not yet. You aren't even assured 1 good season (see LSU an UW). Smart programs will get the parent a job in a position outside of the school, i.e. the Duke way.

Reaction Score
What would Memphis record look like without the Lawsons?
Well, they were 19-15 and 19-13 in the two seasons with them. Record would probably be worse, but it didn't really help them, and now they are all moving on.

No idea if Porter Sr., who just completed his first year coaching in men's basketball, can even coach and/or recruit.

Give me the guy that discovered Markelle Fultz who has a proven track record as an ace recruiter.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
To echo those above me, what kind of long-term success did Memphis or UW get?
Washington had Fultz fall in their lap, different situation, after many years of previous mediocrity. Pastner left Memphis, they were simply unlucky. Missouri starting fresh with Martin sets them up with a new identity, if these players carry them deep into the tournament, that's something he can sell to future recruits. UConn could use a season like this to restore faith in KO, and our NBA presence is slipping.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is a measure for a desperate program. We may fall there some day, but not yet. You aren't even assured 1 good season (see LSU an UW). Smart programs will get the parent a job in a position outside of the school, i.e. the Duke way.
I thought about that as well, makes even more sense. I figured my scenario would make for a better discussion, plus it's really happening at Missouri.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Well, they were 19-15 and 19-13 in the two seasons with them. Record would probably be worse, but it didn't really help them, and now they are all moving on.

No idea if Porter Sr., who just completed his first year coaching in men's basketball, can even coach and/or recruit.

Give me the guy that discovered Markelle Fultz who has a proven track record as an ace recruiter.
They'd be much worse, it'd be like taking Adams off UConn last year, etc. Although we can't be sure, I'm guessing they're moving on because their dad already got his money, and Pastner moved on.

I didn't say Chillious either.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
None of that hiring BS is worth a one and done.
When all 3 players leave after next March and Mizzou doesn't make the tournament - what have they gained?
This is a stop gap effort, a quick fix, by an athletic department that is on skid row

Reaction Score
They'd be much worse, it'd be like taking Adams off UConn last year, etc. Although we can't be sure, I'm guessing they're moving on because their dad already got his money, and Pastner moved on.

I didn't say Chillious either.
Misread that, but honestly, it doesn't change anything for me. Porter, Sr. brings you his two sons, but nothing else really. Similar to Keelon Lawson Sr. who didn't bring in any other recruits aside from his sons.

Tilmon's interest in Missouri has more to do with Cuonzo Martin than it does Porter, Jr.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Misread that, but honestly, it doesn't change anything for me. Porter, Sr. brings you his two sons, but nothing else really. Similar to Keelon Lawson Sr. who didn't bring in any other recruits aside from his sons.

Tilmon's interest in Missouri has more to do with Cuonzo Martin than it does Porter, Jr.
My point is Missouri will be better with Porter, than without him, any other players he helps bring in is gravy. Once he's gone, you hire a real assistant, and try to recruit normally.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I remember Memphis fans telling us a couple of years ago that Lawson was a legit coach, because his high school team (featuring his talented sons), was undefeated.

It only works if the father has any long-term ability to be an asset on your bench after junior takes a hike.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How many recruits does Memphis lose because other players are being featured by influenced from their Dads?
Supposedly the father is a nut job, which must really be appealing to everyone involved. Watch him end up at Georgetown for a landing spot. Pure guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom