OT: McGregor vs. Diaz Tonight | The Boneyard

OT: McGregor vs. Diaz Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
History has said fighters moving up classes get pounded, even if the fighter moving up is more skilled.

McGregor going from 145 to 170 in only a few months is ridiculous. Granted his walking around weight is probably close to 160-165, but it's not the weight, it's the strength and agility you can keep while shredding pounds.

The fighters weighed in at 168 and 169 lbs. Given another 2-3 weeks they could have cut down to the proposed 160lbs catch weight.

Regardless, I expect it to be an exciting fight. Neither one is preparing a strategy of how to conserve energy for five rounds.

I'll go with the underdog, Diaz on this one.

Reaction Score
The most important part of this analysis is Nate's cardio/preparedness. He took the fight on 2 weeks notice. I don't care who he is, that makes him the underdog.
If Nate tries to showboat and swing with Connor, he's probably going to lose.
If Nate takes him to the ground and keeps him there, he should be able to use his mass and BJJ to threaten a sub, which he is more than qualified to pull off.

Money's on Connor, because I'm not sure Nate is smart enough to do the thing that gives him the best odds of winning.

Reaction Score
History has said fighters moving up classes get pounded, even if the fighter moving up is more skilled.

McGregor going from 145 to 170 in only a few months is ridiculous. Granted his walking around weight is probably close to 160-165, but it's not the weight, it's the strength and agility you can keep while shredding pounds.

The fighters weighed in at 168 and 169 lbs. Given another 2-3 weeks they could have cut down to the proposed 160lbs catch weight.

Regardless, I expect it to be an exciting fight. Neither one is preparing a strategy of how to conserve energy for five rounds.

I'll go with the underdog, Diaz on this one.
We need to get our bigs on whatever peds McGregor is taking.

Reaction Score
Enoch has a NBA body. Brimah who knows. The excuse last year was be was hurt so couldn't lift or go to big man camps. Not sure the excuse this year, his finger, but he wasn't exactly doing much before that. He needs to get stronger if he ever wants to play professionally anywhere. He is projected as a 2nd round pick next year but Ajou Ajou Deng and AO were also 2nd round picks and will never sniff the league.

I know very little about UFC. I do know McGregor is a total ah*le, but maybe that is part of the act. No idea on the other guy.

We need to get our bigs on whatever peds McGregor is taking.

Reaction Score
I like McGregor and think he's pretty funny but it's annoying when he talks that he could have beat up this guy and MMA fanboys eat it up. Guy could snapped him like a twig.

Reaction Score
There is a reason McGregor wanted Diaz as a late replacement. Nate is neither a physically strong fighter or a wrestler. Mendes gave McGregor fits on 2 weeks notice because of his wrestling and strength but didn't have the cardio and gassed out. Nate and his brother do triathlons and stuff between fights and also smoke a lot of weed. I don't expect Nate to gas, and I suspect it will be a head kick that does him in this one. Would love to be wrong. Nate is known for stepping up and pulling off upsets. Cowboy Cerrone, and Michael Johnson come to mind.

Reaction Score
Sad for Holly she should of just waited for that rematch with Ronda. This fight wasn't even mandatory big mistake she just didn't lose the belt she lost that big pay day.
Miesha doesn't have the tools beat Ronda, and I don't think she wants to see Cat Zingano again other wise she would have called for a rematch long time ago.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I learned a valuable lesson when Penn went up in weight tonight GSP.

McGregor never fought someone as strong as Diaz or someone who could take a hit lime Diaz.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is a reason McGregor wanted Diaz as a late replacement. Nate is neither a physically strong fighter or a wrestler. Mendes gave McGregor fits on 2 weeks notice because of his wrestling and strength but didn't have the cardio and gassed out. Nate and his brother do triathlons and stuff between fights and also smoke a lot of weed. I don't expect Nate to gas, and I suspect it will be a head kick that does him in this one. Would love to be wrong. Nate is known for stepping up and pulling off upsets. Cowboy Cerrone, and Michael Johnson come to mind.

As an FYI Diaz was in great cardio.

He was actively training for a triathlon and was ready for 25 min of action.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sad for Holly she should of just waited for that rematch with Ronda. This fight wasn't even mandatory big mistake she just didn't lose the belt she lost that big pay day.
Miesha doesn't have the tools beat Ronda, and I don't think she wants to see Cat Zingano again other wise she would have called for a rematch long time ago.

True but Meisha has a nice rack and that's always a good thing.

Reaction Score
I thought Conor won the first round. But then Diaz got one shot to Conor's chin in the second and that was it. He wasn't the same after taking that shot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought Conor won the first round. But then Diaz got one shot to Conor's chin in the second and that was it. He wasn't the same after taking that shot.

When Diaz hurt McGregor and got on his back it was very obvious McGregor wasn't used to defending himself against someone as big as Diaz.

Reaction Score
I don't really follow the sport but there seems to be a pattern. Dana White picks who he likes, they create a persona with way too much hype and talking, McGregor was becoming the male version of Rousey. He has a way better personality than her but it's still kind of nice to see him lose and brought down to earth.

Reaction Score
When Diaz hurt McGregor and got on his back it was very obvious McGregor wasn't used to defending himself against someone as big as Diaz.

Exactly. It was a big mistake for him to go from 145 to 170. But at least he took it like a man after the fight.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Exactly. It was a big mistake for him to go from 145 to 170. But at least he took it like a man after the fight.

Nice thing about UFC is that this loss will have zero impact on McGregor going forward. He'll destroy 155 weight class like he did 145.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't really follow the sport but there seems to be a pattern. Dana White picks who he likes, they create a persona with way too much hype and talking, McGregor was becoming the male version of Rousey. He has a way better personality than her but it's still kind of nice to see him lose and brought down to earth.

Huge difference is that McGregor had obliterated the 145 weight class. This fight was supposed to be at 155 but McGregor's opponent got hurt.

McGregor will go back down to 155 and kill the Lightweight division. But he's not a welterweight.

No one in competitive sports which are categorized by weight classes goes up two divisions in 3 months and does well. Not wrestling, boxing, weight lifting or MMA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The other side of the fight was that punches that McGregor threw against Diaz have huge impacts as 145 but don't do anything at 170. McGregor connected and busted Diaz open but Diaz quickly learned that McGregor's punches didn't need respect. Diaz knew he could close in on McGregor and initiate the pain.

Reaction Score
Huge difference is that McGregor had obliterated the 145 weight class. This fight was supposed to be at 155 but McGregor's opponent got hurt.

McGregor will go back down to 155 and kill the Lightweight division. But he's not a welterweight.

No one in competitive sports which are categorized by weight classes goes up two divisions in 3 months and does well. Not wrestling, boxing, weight lifting or MMA.
Agreed. It seems really stupid that he thought he could jump up that much and win. The one who really seems to get screwed is Holly Holm. So does that nag Rousey get to fight Tate now and Holm gets kicked to the curb?

Reaction Score
The other side of the fight was that punches that McGregor threw against Diaz have huge impacts as 145 but don't do anything at 170. McGregor connected and busted Diaz open but Diaz quickly learned that McGregor's punches didn't need respect. Diaz knew he could close in on McGregor and initiate the pain.
Again, I'll point to the video I posted earlier. McGregor talked after that play fight like he really thought he could take that guy, sometimes the hype seems to make some of these fighters lose all concept of reality.

Reaction Score
I don't think McGregor would do at 155 what he did t 145.
That division is loaded with strikers like Pettis, Henderson
Melendez, Cerrone, Diaz that scary dude Khabib ect. not to
mention RDA.
McGregor won't have that reach advantage he's used to having
fighting the little guys.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score

Kill the Lightweight division????How you think he loses to Nate Diaz and he will kill the likes of Rafael Dos Anjos. You may or may not recall but Rafael destroyed Nate. Conner would have no chance he is better off sticking to 145

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think McGregor would do at 155 what he did t 145.
That division is loaded with strikers like Pettis, Henderson
Melendez, Cerrone, Diaz that scary dude Khabib ect. not to
mention RDA.
McGregor won't have that reach advantage he's used to having
fighting the little guys.

I agree 155 is much more stacked for fighters. But I'd rather see McGregor there than at 145.

Reaction Score
Nice thing about UFC is that this loss will have zero impact on McGregor going forward. He'll destroy 155 weight class like he did 145.
I don't know about that. Dos Anjos manhandled Nate Diaz not too long ago. At 155lbs, McGregor won't always be the bigger guy like he was at 145lbs.

Reaction Score
I can't believe McGregor was taking a page from the Spider's book with the hands-down, goofing style of defense. He looked like he was hanging with Nate just fine until he showboated and got tagged. As he kept walking in with his hands down and his chin out, I was thinking, "this guy doesn't think he can be KOed," and the stupid part of that is that he's been in trouble in fights before after getting hit - he doesn't have an iron chin.
Hands up, chin back, start using better form.
Fight was over when McGregor took the fight to the ground because he was hurt. Nate overwhelmed him quickly. I was surprised Nate didn't take it to the ground sooner. I think he would have handled McGregor on the ground no problem.
Interested in seeing how McGregor responds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom