Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Tamara James makes journey from basketball to mayor's office

Tamara James makes journey from basketball to mayor's office

images

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
did Miami ever play UConn... I always get the FSU, Florida and Miami stuff mixed up, conferences and all!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great story. I love the part about developing a thick skin and accepting constructive criticism. The benefits of team sports in a nutshell.
Did any of our girls make there way in politics? Seems like a good question for the collective mind of the BY.:rolleyes:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
did Miami ever play UConn... I always get the FSU, Florida and Miami stuff mixed up, conferences and all!

Back in the old Big East days, quite a lot, DC. I think Fern Labotti (sp?) was the head coach for a long time.

Reaction Score
Back in the old Big East days, quite a lot, DC. I think Fern Labotti (sp?) was the head coach for a long time.
That's true. The coach was Fern Labati. I remember one encounter with Miami, which at the time was considered a decent team. IIRC, they had a player who had been named Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and had a little offensive firepower, too. Anyway, on this night, it was late in the game, with UConn up by a lot. A clueless Miami player was dribbling the ball up the court and just before half court, a UConn player stationed herself in such a way that the Miami player plowed into her. Whistle. Offensive foul. UConn ball.

Labati, who IIRC was not a very large person, promptly went out of her mind. Only for her assistants was she kept from climbing all over the ref. It was a somewhat amusing ending to a relatively easy game.

Reaction Score
That's true. The coach was Fern Labati. I remember one encounter with Miami, which at the time was considered a decent team. IIRC, they had a player who had been named Big East Defensive Player of the Year, and had a little offensive firepower, too. Anyway, on this night, it was late in the game, with UConn up by a lot. A clueless Miami player was dribbling the ball up the court and just before half court, a UConn player stationed herself in such a way that the Miami player plowed into her. Whistle. Offensive foul. UConn ball.

Labati, who IIRC was not a very large person, promptly went out of her mind. Only for her assistants was she kept from climbing all over the ref. It was a somewhat amusing ending to a relatively easy game.

Was that the night Fern got TWO technicals? I always liked her, but one night, at the Civic Center (that's how long ago it was), she got Td up twice. The crowd went wild, just-- I think-- to rile her up.

Reaction Score
I believe that was it. The game was definitely at the Civic Center and might have been during the Big East tournament, though I would not swear to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom