OT? Maybe. re: CT High School QB's | The Boneyard

OT? Maybe. re: CT High School QB's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That article really drives home why P had to go and to a lesser extent why Edsall was getting stale here. Kids want to play in wide open offenses. Your not going to start attracting star HS players at the WR, and QB position if you are a run heavy program. P had an archaic approach to offense which was in direct contrast with what he announced at his hiring day press conference. He talked about explosive plays in the passing game on first and second down, as the way the game is now played, and in year two we got steady doses of run up the middle for little yardage on first down, run up the middle for less yardage on second down, and set up third and long. Then Deleone, talks about "staying ahead of the chains" and you realized P sold Hathaway a bunch of bullshat.

We came out yesterday throwing the ball around and used the pass to set up the run. Its a modern approach to offense. The rules have been changed to allow for this style of play.

also this passage, speaks to why the Ansonia program has run like a well oiled machine through the last two coaches, they were way ahead of the curve on this in CT

Some youth leagues run the same offenses as the high schools in their town, making for an easier transition and more skilled players with advanced football IQs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Couple of things

A: Rutgers was statically the second worst team in the country against the pass coming into the game. It's hardly a revelation to throw against them.

B: It was a day at Rentschler with no wind. That happens once every other year. Had the game been at 3:30 or later the wind would have been a huge factor as it arrived as the sun went down.

C: Maybe someone can win at Rentschler throwing the ball but they better find quarterbacks who can throw in the wind because even in September on nice days it was 15-20 MPH

Reaction Score
How many yards did Orlovsky throw for his last two years? How come opposing teams come here and throw it all over the place irregardless of wind?

If you want to be a run dominant/damn near run exclusive team, your going to have trouble attracting offensive skill players that want to come here. WRs don't want to be primarily used as blockers, and QBs don't want to primarily turn around and hand off.

Yes, you have to run the ball in northeast, but you what it devolved into under P was run, run, incomplete pass or short completion, punt. Under Edsall we ran much better, but that style has limitations in recruiting, and when playing from behind. The rule changes for DBs/pass interference, defenseless receiver hits etc, all point to a more wide open game being the desirable outcome. I hate to go all TDH, but the game has been going this way for a while, and we've been much to slow to try and adapt. MAC teams throw the ball over the place, and I've never been there, but I'm sure its cold and windy in Boise as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
How many yards did Orlovsky throw for his last two years? How come opposing teams come here and throw it all over the place irregardless of wind?

If you want to be a run dominant/damn near run exclusive team, your going to have trouble attracting offensive skill players that want to come here. WRs don't want to be primarily used as blockers, and QBs don't want to primarily turn around and hand off.

Yes, you have to run the ball in northeast, but you what it devolved into under P was run, run, incomplete pass or short completion, punt. Under Edsall we ran much better, but that style has limitations in recruiting, and when playing from behind. The rule changes for DBs/pass interference, defenseless receiver hits etc, all point to a more wide open game being the desirable outcome. I hate to go all TDH, but the game has been going this way for a while, and we've been much to slow to try and adapt. MAC teams throw the ball over the place, and I've never been there, but I'm sure its cold and windy in Boise as well.

Orlovsky's best year was his junior year when he was picking on MAC defenses.

I agree with Weist, they need balance. I don't agree with TDH that they can throw it all over the field like an Oklahoma State.

They need something more aggressive than Edsall but they can't go all Big 12 and throw it everywhere.

Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with Weist, they need balance. I don't agree with TDH that they can throw it all over the field like an Oklahoma State.

They need something more aggressive than Edsall but they can't go all Big 12 and throw it everywhere.
Well I agree, not all Big 12, thinking more like a MAC attack like Pete Lembo or Dave Clawson run.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
How big is he? Looks tailor made for a military academy qb honestly.

Good point he could really help a good option team. He's small but hard to believe what he can do to people. Yeah we're all sick of small guys but wherever he goes you're going to hear about him eventually. Looking for info on where he might be headed.

Reaction Score
Good point he could really help a good option team. He's small but hard to believe what he can do to people. Yeah we're all sick of small guys but wherever he goes you're going to hear about him eventually. Looking for info on where he might be headed.
I hope someone at UCONN is at least following him, saw him play against Brookfield. Shaban is not that big but he's a one man wrecking crew. Barlow lost, but it was close. They also lost a close one to Newtown, who BTW I predict will lose their 1st round game to Ridgefield.

Reaction Score
I hope someone at UCONN is at least following him, saw him play against Brookfield. Shaban is not that big but he's a one man wrecking crew. Barlow lost, but it was close. They also lost a close one to Newtown, who BTW I predict will lose their 1st round game to Ridgefield.

They won tonight but should have a fascinating matchup in the next round. Hope I can get there.

Reaction Score
They won tonight but should have a fascinating matchup in the next round. Hope I can get there.
I'm happy for Barlows win tonight, but think they'll be overmatched playing St Joe's.

Reaction Score
That article really drives home why P had to go and to a lesser extent why Edsall was getting stale here. Kids want to play in wide open offenses. Your not going to start attracting star HS players at the WR, and QB position if you are a run heavy program. P had an archaic approach to offense which was in direct contrast with what he announced at his hiring day press conference. He talked about explosive plays in the passing game on first and second down, as the way the game is now played, and in year two we got steady doses of run up the middle for little yardage on first down, run up the middle for less yardage on second down, and set up third and long. Then Deleone, talks about "staying ahead of the chains" and you realized P sold Hathaway a bunch of bullshat.

We came out yesterday throwing the ball around and used the pass to set up the run. Its a modern approach to offense. The rules have been changed to allow for this style of play.

also this passage, speaks to why the Ansonia program has run like a well oiled machine through the last two coaches, they were way ahead of the curve on this in CT

Some youth leagues run the same offenses as the high schools in their town, making for an easier transition and more skilled players with advanced football IQs.

Wish I had thought to say this. Terrific post. Insightful and I'm guessing it sounds better coming from you. Careful now or I'll be going "all noeynox". Lol

Reaction Score

Yeah because the teams the Big 12 aren't really that good. Plus, they don't attract big crowds to fill their much larger stadiums (than UConn's). And much like fans of MLB abhor games where there's a lot of homeruns and extra base hits, nobody wants to see all that scoring. Better we should dig out tapes of the Green Bay Packers circa the 1960s. Just grind it out, score once in the first quarter and then let the offense sit on the lead while the defense protects that margin.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Yeah because the teams the Big 12 aren't really that good. Plus, they don't attract big crowds to fill their much larger stadiums (than UConn's). And much like fans of MLB abhor games where there's a lot of homeruns and extra base hits, nobody wants to see all that scoring. Better we should dig out tapes of the Green Bay Packers circa the 1960s. Just grind it out, score once in the first quarter and then let the offense sit on the lead while the defense protects that margin.

Willfully obtuse. It won't work at Rentschler Field.

Big 12 schools don't have bigger fanbases because they throw more.

But nice work on building a strawman no one supports.

Reaction Score

Willfully obtuse. It won't work at Rentschler Field.

Big 12 schools don't have bigger fanbases because they throw more.

But nice work on building a strawman no one supports.

"It won't work at Rentschler", huh???? Tell you the truth . . . how would we even know. With Randy its was Donald Brown (or Dixon, Todman, et al) right, DB left, DB up the middle. With PP, if it was first down, every body watching the game knew it would be Lyle McCombs up the middle. So neither of these men, were what you could call, offensive strategist wizards. They both treated going to the forward pass like it was a punting situation (They hated doing it, but had little choice otherwise). So how would you or I or anyone else know that it (throwing like we're all Big 12 and stuff) won't work at Rentschler?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
"It won't work at Rentschler", huh???? Tell you the truth . . . how would we even know. With Randy its was Donald Brown (or Dixon, Todman, et al) right, DB left, DB up the middle. With PP, if it was first down, every body watching the game knew it would be Lyle McCombs up the middle. So neither of these men, were what you could call, offensive strategist wizards. They both treated going to the forward pass like it was a punting situation (They hated doing it, but had little choice otherwise). So how would you or I or anyone else know that it (throwing like we're all Big 12 and stuff) won't work at Rentschler?

You ever notice how dome teams don't play as well outside?

You ever think about why?

The entire world seems to understand that you can throw in the rain but it's harder in the wind.

You ever been at Rentschler Field?

Reaction Score
If I had to pick one thing that is the most important lesson learned in the past 10 years of football at Rentschler Field, it's that we can have a significant home field advantage based on the simple aspects of how the stadium was constructed, and it's location and climate. Edsall took full advantage of it.

We had a record small crowd on Saturday last, and everybody on the tower side, took advantage of it and moved to the other side of the stadium. Make no mistake, that Rutgers bench and sideline was cold, freezing cold, while our players were nice and warm in the sun. The wind? No wind on Saturday, but's ridiculous to think it's not a powerful game changing aspect of playing at Rentschler. One of the windiest games I can recall immediately was the spanking we gave to Syracuse a few years ago. You are not throwing the ball well in games like that. Tony Pike, Zach Collaros. Good QB's from very good passing offenses, that tried to throw in the wind and cold at Rentschler, and lost games at Rentschhler field. The only games that Cincy lost in those 10+ win seasons a few years ago.

Pasqualoni and Deleone were too old and dumb football coaches to recognize what they had, and take advantage of it. They destroyed the home field advantage with their approach to the game. The good news, is that as badly as they did with this program, they couldn't change the structure and orientation of the stadium,and they couldn't change mother nature, and we will continue to have that going forward.

UCONN football, needs to be a grind it out, blocking assignment disciplined, ground based identity on offense. It has to be. That has to be the base fundamental of the offense. A power running game. That's what our home field advantage gives us in a big way, especially with a handful of southern and texas based teams in our conference now, and it's what we can build upon to win on the road. When you exert your will on the offensive line of scrimmage, you can put yourself in position to win nearly any game.

Where Edsall failed, was to build the offense on top of a running game, that could regularly do what was done last week. To line up against a team with a very bad pass offense, and a top 10 nationally run defense, and throw for 300+ yards and multiple TD's against zero Ints to win the game, and do it when the situation arose that dictated that would be the best approach to winning in game planning tactics and strategy.

Reaction Score
Couple of things

A: Rutgers was statically the second worst team in the country against the pass coming into the game. It's hardly a revelation to throw against them.

B: It was a day at Rentschler with no wind. That happens once every other year. Had the game been at 3:30 or later the wind would have been a huge factor as it arrived as the sun went down.

C: Maybe someone can win at Rentschler throwing the ball but they better find quarterbacks who can throw in the wind because even in September on nice days it was 15-20 MPH

Texas Tech used to win throwing the ball, in Lubbock, Texas, only the windiest place on earth. If you want win throwing in the wind, then practice throwing in the wind. It's like any other skill.

Reaction Score

The wind never blows in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Iowa. There is no way teams in those states can have passing based offenses.

Reaction Score
Edsall failed at recruiting and developing QBs after Orlovsky.

If I had to pick one thing that is the most important lesson learned in the past 10 years of football at Rentschler Field, it's that we can have a significant home field advantage based on the simple aspects of how the stadium was constructed, and it's location and climate. Edsall took full advantage of it.

We had a record small crowd on Saturday last, and everybody on the tower side, took advantage of it and moved to the other side of the stadium. Make no mistake, that Rutgers bench and sideline was cold, freezing cold, while our players were nice and warm in the sun. The wind? No wind on Saturday, but's ridiculous to think it's not a powerful game changing aspect of playing at Rentschler. One of the windiest games I can recall immediately was the spanking we gave to Syracuse a few years ago. You are not throwing the ball well in games like that. Tony Pike, Zach Collaros. Good QB's from very good passing offenses, that tried to throw in the wind and cold at Rentschler, and lost games at Rentschhler field. The only games that Cincy lost in those 10+ win seasons a few years ago.

Pasqualoni and Deleone were too old and dumb football coaches to recognize what they had, and take advantage of it. They destroyed the home field advantage with their approach to the game. The good news, is that as badly as they did with this program, they couldn't change the structure and orientation of the stadium,and they couldn't change mother nature, and we will continue to have that going forward.

UCONN football, needs to be a grind it out, blocking assignment disciplined, ground based identity on offense. It has to be. That has to be the base fundamental of the offense. A power running game. That's what our home field advantage gives us in a big way, especially with a handful of southern and texas based teams in our conference now, and it's what we can build upon to win on the road. When you exert your will on the offensive line of scrimmage, you can put yourself in position to win nearly any game.

Where Edsall failed, was to build the offense on top of a running game, that could regularly do what was done last week. To line up against a team with a very bad pass offense, and a top 10 nationally run defense, and throw for 300+ yards and multiple TD's against zero Ints to win the game, and do it when the situation arose that dictated that would be the best approach to winning in game planning tactics and strategy.

Reaction Score
Edsall failed at recruiting and developing QBs after Orlovsky.

I agree. He failed to recruit, to build the offense on top of the running game he developed after Orlovsky. I wasn't specific enough in what I wrote I guess. There is no reason why you can't throw the ball well at Rentschler field against the 124th ranked passing defense in the country, unless your own players aren't really up to the task. It's a wise idea to build a complete offense, such that when you game plan for matchups, you have options to attack at weaknesses. It's also wise idea, to have some kind of bread and butter, fundamental base to your offensive identity. The question is how to do determine what that is?

I think a good way to identify what a good fundamental base to your offensive strategy is going to be, is to look at your home field advantages, of which we have quite a bit. When you do that, it becomes a no brainer, that we should be exactly what Edsall developed as a base offensive identity. A power running game.

There is nothing more demoralizing to an opponent defensively, than lining up against a powerful running attack in the cold, wet, wind and getting knocked back off the line, over and over. We saw it over and over in 7 of the previous 10 years of football at Rentschler.

You absolutely can throw the ball at Rentschler field in the worst of elements and have success, but that is a tactic that should be recruited properly for, developed and by at your disposal. It would be foolish IMO, to try to make the passing game, your bread and butter, at the University of Connecticut.

One more game to go in 2013. I would really like to see our will imposed on Memphis on Saturday, in all three phases. And congrats to Taylor Mack, for making his way back to the field in this season, and playing like a clutch senior. I want to see him, and all the other seniors go out with a good old UCONN stomping. Congrats again to Lyle McCombs for being named captain before the Temple game, and becoming a real leader.

Outta here for today.

Reaction Score
The wind is a factor at the rent. It is undeniable fact. But when play about six home games a year, your probably going to play about three in inclement/windy weather. To me that is not enough to tailor your offensive attack to a style of play that is going to severely hamper your ability to recruit offensive talent at quarterback and wide receiver. I've watched Boise games on TV that look child and windy as hell. It is proof it can be done. Western Michigan came in here and lit us up through the air on our home field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does there exist no middle in this conversation?

I know that TDH thinks it's 90 passes a game or 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but does everyone else not get the concept of balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom