OT: Masters scoreboard....and what did I hear??? | The Boneyard

OT: Masters scoreboard....and what did I hear???

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Leader Board - 2018 Masters Tournament

The link is to the Masters scoreboard.
8:15 is the time of the honorary tee shots by Jack and Gary.

We do have a de facto Boneyarder there with his son on Wednesday and Thursday.
His joy at this bucket-list event was almost frantic leading up to Wednesday but if he passes on some worthwhile wisdom I may post it here.

Triple Yikes! They announced that starting next year they will be hosting
the Augusta National Women's Amateur....54 holes....Thursday thru Saturday the week before the Masters.
Last 18 holes at Augusta National...the first two at a nearby course. I think it will have 72 players competing.

Very cool!

A side benefit for fans: many golf fans simply can't get tickets to the Masters...many of those folks obviously want to see the players but many are just happy to have the chance to walk the course....just be there in person.
With this new event I would bet that fans not able to get Masters tickets will be only too happy
to go to walk the course and see upcoming pros on the women's side.

BTW: the Sunday before the Masters.....the Drive/Chip/Putt event for girls and boys aged 7-15 is also cool.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I was at Augusta on Monday with my son. Haven't been there for more than 25 years. Wow! The changes were dramatic. Holes are longer. The club must have bought 10-15 acres for parking after making what used to be a parking lot off Washington Road into a practice area. Turns out I'm too old to walk 2 miles just to get there. But once you get in, it all comes back. Lots of new buildings and accommodations for the patrons. (Can't just call us 'fans.' ) This is the most beautiful property you'll ever see. You'll never be able to understand the elevations and undulations unless you've been there. The fairways there are better than most greens I've ever putted. For my son (who I've been threatening to take to the Masters for 20 years) it was one of the high points of his life. Really thrilled. For me, it was magical to be there with him and to see it again. If you've never been, either pony up a few hundred and go. It's worth the money. Or put your name in the lottery for tickets. You'll eventually win.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Years ago....after the UConn men won the championship in 1999 I read that Jim Calhoun had gotten to play at Augusta...he an avid, AVID golfer.
I ran into him at a convenience store in Storrs....I was down there to see...what else...a women's practice.
Anyway I congratulated him on the title and he gave a quick/practiced response...."thanks"....not exactly a lasting moment to remember.
I then asked him some question about his round at Augusta...don't remember what the question was....maybe about how fast the greens appeared to him.

Boom! Payday! We chatted for 10-15 minutes about the course....how he played etc. I'm a life-long golfer/golf fan and knew all the holes just from annual watching on TV.
He was SO enthusiastic.....being Jim Calhoun he talked super fast....not always with impeccable elucidation....great Boston accent....he clearly remembered every blessed shot
he hit. It was great fun listening to him. Title #1 mention....OK. Playing at Augusta National....now THAT was worth a conversation.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was there in 2003 (the year of the protests), when the women played in Atlanta. It was a wet Tuesday and just slightly muddy. I totally agree about the elevations—it’s a tough course to walk. The grass is beyond belief—no rough, no weeds, no bare spots. The fairways are truly like greens. Immaculate! When the azaleas and dogwoods are in bloom, it’s stunning. In terms of scenery, I prefer the coastal courses. Pebble Beach and Cypress Point top my list. BTW, I’ll be at Shinnecock for the U.S. Open in June.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yesterday’s par-3 contest had some interesting moments. Jack Nicklaus’s grandson G.T. scored an ace on the 9th hole. Jack had told him 3 days earlier that he would make a hole-in-one. As the ball was in the air and drew back on the green, Jack’s playing partner Gary Player called it all the way. Jack’s other playing partner, 68-year-old Tom Watson, won the 9-hole event with a score of 21. Yikes!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Woods at +4 with the projected cut at +5. But Woods just plopped the ball in the drink on 12. Will he make the cut? Mickelson limping into the weekend at +5 with a +7 today. Unless Speith can get on top, ratings will be way down. As I am writing, Woods recovers well on the penalty, only lose 1 shot to +5. No room for error now.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Woods at +4 with the projected cut at +5. But Woods just plopped the ball in the drink on 12. Will he make the cut? Mickelson limping into the weekend at +5 with a +7 today. Unless Speith can get on top, ratings will be way down. As I am writing, Woods recovers well on the penalty, only lose 1 shot to +5. No room for error now.

McIlroy and Spieth 3 off the lead as I write this. That should help. But yes, Tiger and Phil being out of it is a huge blow.

Spieth was 5 over in the 3-hole stretch between 18 yesterday and 2 today. I know 18 and 1 are difficult but they are not that difficult.

Patrick Reed has a two-shot lead now with 13 and 15 still on the horizon. He's never really been in contention on the weekend in major that I can recall. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it going.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think there are 8 major winners in the top 14, so names like Johnson, Thomas, Spieth, Rose, and McIlroy should draw viewers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom