OT: Male-Female Repartee | The Boneyard

OT: Male-Female Repartee

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
With Netflix' delivery, I have been pigging out on CHEERS reruns, which I once watched religiously, but happily can't remember them.
Anyway the show is liveliest when Sam & Diane are cooing and bickering. Writing and delivery are just superb.
It's been a good test that I am warding off depression in my old age, cause I laugh a lot.

How about you folks? Got any such TV show antics that delight.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've tuned into some shows that I liked as a kid, only to find out that they were astonishingly bad. Most notoriously bad one "The Six Million Dollar Man." What I remembered as an action show turned out to be ponderously slow with wooden acting and bad production.

:(

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
With Netflix' delivery, I have been pigging out on CHEERS reruns, which I once watched religiously, but happily can't remember them.
Anyway the show is liveliest when Sam & Diane are cooing and bickering. Writing and delivery are just superb.
It's been a good test that I am warding off depression in my old age, cause I laugh a lot.

How about you folks? Got any such TV show antics that delight.
If you like male/female repartee, may I suggest Moonlighting. (Bruce Willis, Cybill Shepard)

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
One of my all time favorites, Freaks and Geeks is available on Netflix. High school kids in 1980. This from WIKI:

Freaks and Geeks is an American period teen comedy-drama television series, created by Paul Feig, with Judd Apatow as executive producer, that aired on NBC during the 1999–2000 television season. Eighteen episodes were completed, but the series was canceled after only 12 had aired.[1]

A fan-led campaign persuaded NBC to broadcast three more episodes in July 2000;[2] the three remaining unaired episodes, for a total of 18, aired that September on the cable network Fox Family Channel.[3]

The series appeared on Time magazine's 2007 "100 Greatest Shows of All Time" list,[4] and placed third on the magazine's list of greatest television shows of the 2000s (decade).[5] In 2007, Freaks and Geeks ranked #21 on TV Guide's Top Cult Shows Ever.[6] In 2008, Entertainment Weekly ranked it the 13th-best series of the past 25 years.[7] The same year, AOL TV named it the Best School Show of All Time.[8] In 2013 TV Guide included it in its list of The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time,[9] and ranked it #1 on their list of 60 shows that were "Cancelled Too Soon."[10] It launched several of its young actors into successful television and film careers.[11]

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I've tuned into some shows that I liked as a kid, only to find out that they were astonishingly bad. Most notoriously bad one "The Six Million Dollar Man." What I remembered as an action show turned out to be ponderously slow with wooden acting and bad production.

:(

Editing styles have changed a LOT. Instead of showing a someone go out the door, get in their car, pull out of the driveway, and drive away, a more recent show might show someone heading out the door and imply the rest.

Gilmore Girls was a show that had great banter plus was set in the Connecticut. Part of the fun of the show can be trying to figure out where the show's fictional town of Star's Hollow actually is in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
Always enjoyed the subtlety of the exchanges between Jackie Gleason and Audrey Meadows in The Honeymooners. Can't imagine that I wouldn't still.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you like male/female repartee, may I suggest Moonlighting. (Bruce Willis, Cybill Shepard)

I couldn't get into that show because I found the repartee to be a blatant rip-off of The Avengers. The Steed-Emma Peel Avengers, of course. I watched a few recently. Some plots are far-fetched but the banter is still top-notch and the role reversal was ahead of it's time. I remember one episode set in a Scottish castle (the Castle D'Eath). Peel was wearing her catsuit while every man on the show was wearing a skirt, I mean kilt.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Part of the fun of the show can be trying to figure out where the show's fictional town of Star's Hollow actually is in Connecticut.

Wasn't it supposed to be Washington?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
With Netflix' delivery, I have been pigging out on CHEERS reruns, which I once watched religiously, but happily can't remember them. Anyway the show is liveliest when Sam & Diane are cooing and bickering. Writing and delivery are just superb. It's been a good test that I am warding off depression in my old age, cause I laugh a lot. How about you folks? Got any such TV show antics that delight.

Using YouTube I watch episodes of Barney Miller and Taxi. For cooing there is Wojo with any woman and Nardo with any man. Dietrich, Rev Jim, and Louie are favorites.

Reaction Score
I've recently started re-watching HBO hits The Sopranos and The Wire. While they are not that old, they are incredibly well done.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Wasn't it supposed to be Washington?

That's the town the show's creator visited and was inspired by but the information given about the town's location added up to a town that floated in the sky from place to place :) The Wiki has a good write-up.

Wally East

Reaction Score
30 Rock, a show about a Saturday Night Live style sketch show, had a lot of great banter between Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin but unlike Moonlighting or Cheers, it was strictly of the "won't they, won't they" variety.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of my all time favorites, Freaks and Geeks is available on Netflix. High school kids in 1980. This from WIKI:

Freaks and Geeks is an American period teen comedy-drama television series, created by Paul Feig, with Judd Apatow as executive producer, that aired on NBC during the 1999–2000 television season. Eighteen episodes were completed, but the series was canceled after only 12 had aired.[1]

A fan-led campaign persuaded NBC to broadcast three more episodes in July 2000;[2] the three remaining unaired episodes, for a total of 18, aired that September on the cable network Fox Family Channel.[3]

The series appeared on Time magazine's 2007 "100 Greatest Shows of All Time" list,[4] and placed third on the magazine's list of greatest television shows of the 2000s (decade).[5] In 2007, Freaks and Geeks ranked #21 on TV Guide's Top Cult Shows Ever.[6] In 2008, Entertainment Weekly ranked it the 13th-best series of the past 25 years.[7] The same year, AOL TV named it the Best School Show of All Time.[8] In 2013 TV Guide included it in its list of The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time,[9] and ranked it #1 on their list of 60 shows that were "Cancelled Too Soon."[10] It launched several of its young actors into successful television and film careers.[11]
To say the least. John Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segal.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

If it streamed, I'd watch Moonlighting again. But it's lesser repartee than is Sam and Diane, cause Willis is too powerful in that dyad.
Sam's goofy vulnerabilities temper the chauvinism.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
To say the least. John Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segal.
Don't forget Linda Cardellini (Is she a Sue Bird lookalike?):

Linda Edna Cardellini (born June 25, 1975) is an American actress. She is known for her roles as Lindsay Weir on Freaks and Geeks, Samantha Taggart on ER, Velma Dinkley in the live-action Scooby-Doo feature films, Sylvia Rosen, a neighbor of Don Draper's on the AMC drama series Mad Men, Meg Rayburn on the Netflix original series Bloodline, Cassie in Brokeback Mountain, and Laura Barton in Avengers: Age of Ultron. She is also known for voicing roles in animated projects such as CJ in Regular Show, Wendy Corduroy in Gravity Falls, and Megan in Sanjay and Craig.

330px-Linda_Cardellini_Deauville_2011.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I couldn't get into that show because I found the repartee to be a blatant rip-off of The Avengers. The Steed-Emma Peel Avengers, of course. I watched a few recently. Some plots are far-fetched but the banter is still top-notch and the role reversal was ahead of it's time. I remember one episode set in a Scottish castle (the Castle D'Eath). Peel was wearing her catsuit while every man on the show was wearing a skirt, I mean kilt.

In the long-run, yes, but it was an immediate ripoff of Remington Steele. I recently got the complete Steele series on DVD, and while dated and campy, I do still love the interaction between Steele and Laura.

More recently, I loved the interaction between Brennan and Booth (and Angela and Hodgins) on Bones. That's the only show that's gone off in the last 10 years that I can say I'm gonna miss. (Jeopardy, the only other show I watch religiously, but with no witty repartee, will be going next season.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't forget Linda Cardellini

I certainly won't forget her.

The show also had some younger actors that aren't big names but pop up plenty in tv and movies like Martin Starr, Samm Levine and John Francis Dailey. Busy Phillips too.

Wally East

Reaction Score
Also: Arrested Development has a lot of fun with language. Plus: Henry Winkler.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
That was a good show. Especially the first season.

I thought season 2 was still good, but season 3 went way downhill. The creators lost sight of everything that made the show good and took it an entirely different direction.

Reaction Score
currently binge-catching up on Game of Thrones. Lots (in lots of positions!) boy-girl interaction there, to say the least. The show stealer of course is Lena Headey as the incredibly amoral (but fantastic actress) queen mother, Cersei Lannister.

Reaction Score
I've recently started re-watching HBO hits The Sopranos and The Wire. While they are not that old, they are incredibly well done.
What is the wire about?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom