Maine suggestions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maine suggestions?

Reaction Score
If you venture north of Portland, stop in Damaiscotta and go to the Damariscotta River Grill. I know the chef and he is incredible. You MUST try his cheescake. It is the best I have ever had. Boothbay Harbor is nice too as is Pemaquid Point.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Becky's Diner for breakfast in Portland.

arch

Reaction Score
The best and most scenic lobster shack in IMHO is "Five Islands...Home of the Big Boys" at the end of the neck at Bath. Picnic tables on the pier with 5 actual island all in view with the lobster traps all in front of you...awesome!!!! BYOB and a table cloth can make it really nice. Ice Cream and the such. The best I've found but I don't claim to have seen them all. A native Mainer told me once "you can tell if someone is a true Mainer...we eat lobster rolls...whole lobster is too much work!!!

Great place for lobster. You choose the size and they do the rest. Terrific fried food. My favorite place in the world. We'll be there tomorrow.
If family is involved Reed State park is pretty neat for kids. Beach is OK but rocks and river make it an adventure for kids. It's right on the way.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
After a meal in the Old Port take a hike or short drive up to the East Prom for a great view of the harbor.

Reaction Score
You should try to see the Penobscot Bay Area... Blue Hills, Camden, and Castine are all unbelievably beautiful. Once you've gone a little further to Acadia, you can't miss. Thunder Cove, the Bee Hive, Cadillac Mountain, and Lost Lake - it's another world.

Thunderhole @ Acadia is awesome. Waves splashing in cove just right sound like thunder. Great @ night. Bee hive and Cadillac are sweets hikes, but the precipice hike is the best @ Acadia. Chance to see some Peregrine falcons since they nest up there.

SW harbor just outside of bar harbor is where I stayed as a kid, but anywhere on those islands is a good time.

arch

Reaction Score
Great place for lobster. You choose the size and they do the rest. Terrific fried food. My favorite place in the world. We'll be there tomorrow.
If family is involved Reed State park is pretty neat for kids. Beach is OK but rocks and river make it an adventure for kids. It's right on the way.

Just saw that kids aren't involved. Sorry.
If you stop in Freeport you might try Azures restaurant. Terrific place for chowder and just about anything else on the menu. However if lobster rolls are the goal for the day there are a couple of better choices across the street. (Park in the lot of the Catholic Church across and down the street a little)

Reaction Score
In Kenebunkport, Mable's Lobster. If you want to drop a BUNDLE (note caps) - the White Barn, a 5-star -plus. Bring a coat - they wouldn't let Pres Bush in w/o one. HB Provisions for breakfast and coffee - another Bush favorite. Check his house on the island. Cape Arundel Inn is nice for the ocean view, but food wasn't the best.

On the way to Boothbay Harbor, Red's Eats in Wicasset, on Rt 1 at the bridge to BBH. Line is 1/4 mile long for lobster (rolls), etc. No exaggeration.

Will be sailing into Bar Harbor late in month - KB if plans change. See you there?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
F it SJ, get on the boat in Portland and go to Nova Scotia instead. Or drive it. Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail will change your life.

Reaction Score
F it SJ, get on the boat in Portland and go to Nova Scotia instead. Or drive it. Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail will change your life.

Hit Oak Island just S of Halifax while you're there.

Reaction Score
I agree, for what you're looking for, Bar Harbor and Acadia would be perfect. Acadia has tremendous views and awesome bike trails. Bar Harbor has great places to eat and drink.
Didn't realize Bar Harbor/Acadia is basically just another hour away from Rockport. Hmmm.

Reaction Score
I would but I don't think my compatriots are as adventurous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Didn't realize Bar Harbor/Acadia is basically just another hour away from Rockport. Hmmm.
PS: I was just kidding about Nova Scotia. It's awesome, but it's a haul. Need a week minimum.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
PSS: I had my bike at Acadia, but iirc you could also rent decent ones in the area. The trails are crushed granite and a dream to ride on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you want a beach I'd suggest Kennebunkport or Ogunquit. Very good food in those areas as well.
It's been 20 years since I was there, but Sand Beach in Acadia NP is the most beautiful beach I ever saw, and I've been all over the world.

Reaction Score
It's been 20 years since I was there, but Sand Beach in Acadia NP is the most beautiful beach I ever saw, and I've been all over the world.
Never been to Bar Harbor but I've heard good things. Only drawback is that it is wayyyyy up there

arch

Reaction Score
In Kenebunkport, Mable's Lobster. If you want to drop a BUNDLE (note caps) - the White Barn, a 5-star -plus. Bring a coat - they wouldn't let Pres Bush in w/o one. HB Provisions for breakfast and coffee - another Bush favorite. Check his house on the island. Cape Arundel Inn is nice for the ocean view, but food wasn't the best.

On the way to Boothbay Harbor, Red's Eats in Wicasset, on Rt 1 at the bridge to BBH. Line is 1/4 mile long for lobster (rolls), etc. No exaggeration.

Will be sailing into Bar Harbor late in month - KB if plans change. See you there?
And if the line at Red's is back to the corner it's a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait. They are in no big hurry to feed you. They don't have to be. This does mean that you could drive out to 5 Islands have a 2 pounder, drive back and be just in time to get in line for a Red's lobster roll ( or a hot dog).

Reaction Score
And if the line at Red's is back to the corner it's a 1 to 1 1/2 hour wait. They are in no big hurry to feed you. They don't have to be. This does mean that you could drive out to 5 Islands have a 2 pounder, drive back and be just in time to get in line for a Red's lobster roll ( or a hot dog).
I find lobster rolls to be one of the most overrated things on the planet and at $26.50 for a Red's lobster roll there is zero chance I wait even 5 minutes to be ripped off.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@superjohn

Just got back from Maine. When in Portland we loved the whole bellys at Gilbert's Chowder House on Commercial Street (near Dry Dock). The libations kicked ass at Liquid Riot Bottling Company farther west on Commercial Street. Brewery and distillery. Great beer. Further inland is Rising Tide Brewery. I think they close at 7pm, tho.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you're up to it, take the ferry to Peaks Island and rent a bike.
We heard there are reggae festivals every Sunday on Peak's Island. Reggae means ganja.

Reaction Score
@superjohn

Just got back from Maine. When in Portland we loved the whole bellys at Gilbert's Chowder House on Commercial Street (near Dry Dock). The libations kicked ass at Liquid Riot Bottling Company farther west on Commercial Street. Brewery and distillery. Great beer. Further inland is Rising Tide Brewery. I think they close at 7pm, tho.
I love whole bellys.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@superjohn...if you slow down in the Freeport area right off there is a BBQ place right off I295 called Buck's Naked BBQ. Amazing.

And we did Rockland...Hill's Seafood Co. was a great lunch (lobster mac and cheese, cod reuben). And if there then you must trek up to Camden. Maybe get a schooner ride?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom