OT: Mad Max | The Boneyard

OT: Mad Max

Reaction Score
Nice to hear. Have high hopes myself. Not necessarily my fave genre, but love this movies/setting. Nice to see same director involved.

Reaction Score
Ill be seeing it monday and i absolutely cant wait! Nice to see a movie with testiculos instead of all that pg13 nonsense hollywood forces down our throats every summer. Charlize Theron kicking ass? Yes please!

Reaction Score
Will hopefully see it tonight, big fan of the road warrior

Reaction Score
I know my dad is a big fan of the original movies, but I never ended up seeing any of them. Gotta say, this does look pretty great.

Reaction Score
nice, was hoping the great reviews I was seeing werent industry plants or whatever. Never saw the original, want to see avengers first, but I definitely want to get to IMAX to see this guy. To me, movies are sometimes supposed to be about spectacular visuals and I can tell from what I've seen its got that going.

Reaction Score
Do you need to have watched the original movies to understand what's going on?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I'm sure the answer is no, but you should still watch the original movies!

(The second one, The Road Warrior, is the best. The first (Mad Max) is pretty stripped down, and the third (Beyond Thunderdome) is the opposite. They're all great, though.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tried to be as skeptical as I possibly could and then before I knew it I was sucked in asking for more.
He has some split second flashbacks about his family that curse him, other than that it's about it. The old movies prepare you for the scene, but once it gets going you wouldn't care one way or another because it's so visually intoxicating.

Reaction Score
Just bought my ticket for tonight at the Chestnut Hill SuperLux. I know it's wrong to support any business in BC's neighborhood, but this comes with an oversized, leather reclining seat, unlimited popcorn, food and beverage service, etc. I'll be watching like a king.

Reaction Score
Will see it the holiday weekend, I assume its not a chick flick. Right?

Reaction Score
No. In fact, if you're doped on a respectable dose of Thorazine and you have an IQ above 60 you would be able to follow the plot. Saw it tonight. The Rot.Tomatoes rating on this movie has gone from a 90 to an 80 in the last few days. I figure I'd rate the movie a 65ish.

Positives:
Great visual effects, excellent pace, good peril, excellent acting by Max, Nooks, and Furiosa, great scenery, and overall excellent moviemaking style. Some people didn't like the Max character - I thought it was well done, and appropriate for a "mad" - meaning crazy - guy.

Negatives:
[SPOILERS BELOW HERE]
The movie was 80% chase scenes. So "action," sure, but it got to the point where I was checking my watch. How much chase scene is too much chase scene? 1.5 hours was, as it turns out, past my limit.
The plot was this - woman escapes from desert oasis and population center with several slaves, meets Max along the way, Max convinces her to return to population center. That's it. Everything else in the movie is scene to scene filler and visual effects.
The Plot was a hole. I don't mean it had plot holes. I mean it was a hole. As in, it was goofier and more unrealistic than your average Power Puff girls episode. Here are just 2 of many, many examples of things that didn't use the physics of our world: 1. Lead says that she and a few other women are going to take motorcycles into the salt flats (the unknown) and ride for 160 days. WTF? What about food and water and fuel? They had enough provisions for a day or so. That's it. Were math and common sense both lost in the apocalypse? The bad guys spent 1.5 hours trying every technique imaginable to stop the truck. Why not just shoot out/blow out the tires? One scene they did have spike strips. Just a few. They didn't work. Instead, they had an excavator bucket mounted on a truck, and guys on 30 foot fishing poles dangling in the air off of vehicles driving 70 miles per hour. One last one - truck gets stuck in the mud. They eventually use a winch to get it out. The winch was tethered to a barkless dead tree that was in a muddy area and was about 18" in diameter. The truck probably weighed 60,000 pounds. Not only did the winch not pull the tree out of the ground, but it was only with Max holding the tree to help prevent it from pulling over and with the lead female pushing - yes, pushing - against the truck that they were able to free the truck. Come on. Can't resist - one more. Desert oasis has leader's lair built high up in a butte. He has three giant water pipes that stick out of the side of the butte? Why on why? Why would anybody take the time and energy to make and install giant pipes that simply poke out of the mountain? Because it's a great visual effect! Pointing this crap out only because some people were poking holes in Age of Ultron's plot!! It was a comic book movie! Plot holes are the basis of all comic book characters.
Pointing these things out only to make clear that this is a fast-n-furious type movie where everything is goofy and you have to completely let yourself go in order to enjoy it. Kind of like any comic book movie, dumb and dumber, and so on.
Gave it a 65% because I was mildly entertained. Would not watch a second time.
If you liked the FandF franchise and car chases, you might love this movie. In any event, unless you hate car chases or violence, you should be at least entertained.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Will see it the holiday weekend, I assume its not a chick flick. Right?

A feminist viewer would probably like it, since the female characters are presented well and with depth.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@TasteofUConn ...were you at the 8pm show Saturday night in Branford yelling "Oh come on!!! WTF was that?!?" a few times?

I loved the dudes on the fishing poles. But didn't get "People Eater". The guy with the elephantiasis foot. What was his deal?

Reaction Score
No. In fact, if you're doped on a respectable dose of Thorazine and you have an IQ above 60 you would be able to follow the plot. Saw it tonight. The Rot.Tomatoes rating on this movie has gone from a 90 to an 80 in the last few days. I figure I'd rate the movie a 65ish.

Positives:
Great visual effects, excellent pace, good peril, excellent acting by Max, Nooks, and Furiosa, great scenery, and overall excellent moviemaking style. Some people didn't like the Max character - I thought it was well done, and appropriate for a "mad" - meaning crazy - guy.

It's still 98% on Rotten Tomatoes

Reaction Score
whats all the fuss about? I can't even think of the last good action movie i saw, probably skyfall. maybe i'll check it out this evening

Reaction Score
I don't know whether to love this or be befuddled by it!
I'm talking date night. My Mrs. is not much an action flick fan, especially intense action. Just wondering if she would be able to sit through it and let me enjoy it without pestering me or act like I owe her. I guess I won't be taking her based on the comments.

Amazing how I painfully sit through corny romance movies without pestering her. If someone understands women let me know or write a book, please!

Reaction Score
It's still 98% on Rotten Tomatoes
That appears to be the number for early professional reviews, or something.

I ignore the professional reviewers completely - I go entirely by audience, which is now listed at 90. I swear I saw 80 right before I posted, but obviously I could be wrong. IMDB has it at 88% right now, which surprises me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom