OT: Luka Doncic | The Boneyard

OT: Luka Doncic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No idea what his ceiling is as an NBA player, but..................

He's a teen from Europe more than holding his own as an NBA rookie.

Fun to watch too. Huge skill set. Step back 3 tonight against Houston to cap off an 11-0 run by himself was impressive.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No idea what his ceiling is as an NBA player, but...

He's a teen from Europe more than holding his own as an NBA rookie.

Fun to watch too. Huge skill set. Step back 3 tonight against Houston to cap off an 11-0 run by himself was impressive.

This was insane. Highlights are sweet. He might be a teen, but kid was MVP of the EuroLeague last year. He's a full on stud. I was surprised at some of the pre draft negatives that were getting thrown his way.

ESPN embed not working so here's a link

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I’m surprised the suns hired his coach and didn’t take him

Reaction Score
This was insane. Highlights are sweet. He might be a teen, but kid was MVP of the EuroLeague last year. He's a full on stud. I was surprised at some of the pre draft negatives that were getting thrown his way.

ESPN embed not working so here's a link

A guy like Hezonja busts and then all white Euro wings get that stigma/fear. It's pretty dumb because he was much more accomplished. What a fun kid and now, by extension, team to watch. If DSJ can become less turnover prone and keep improving his TS%, they could make for quite a combo in a few years.

Reaction Score
A bunch of my friends didnt think he would be very good in the NBA. I thought he should’ve been the first pick.

Also, was discussing with a few friends whether Real Madrid would beat the best teams in College Bball. I thought they would but they disagreed.

Reaction Score
A bunch of my friends didnt think he would be very good in the NBA. I thought he should’ve been the first pick.

Also, was discussing with a few friends whether Real Madrid would beat the best teams in College Bball. I thought they would but they disagreed.
Those are grown men in the second best league. Your friends don’t know what they’re talking about (no offense).

the Q

Reaction Score
A guy like Hezonja busts and then all white Euro wings get that stigma/fear. It's pretty dumb because he was much more accomplished. What a fun kid and now, by extension, team to watch. If DSJ can become less turnover prone and keep improving his TS%, they could make for quite a combo in a few years.

Don’t forget Skita back in 2002.

Reaction Score
Those are grown men in the second best league. Your friends don’t know what they’re talking about (no offense).
The basis of their argument was that a lot of those guys are NBA flameouts while some of the College BBall players are the next stars pf the league. I understand where they’re coming from in a sense, but I agree that it wouldn’t be very close.

pj

Reaction Score

It would depend on whether they were playing soccer or basketball.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I love Doncic, and in my admittedly lacking expertise in the area he intrigued me most in the draft.

These dudes always have a chance to bust but what I saw he played a game that translates and has a chance to be special. He was more intriguing than most other prospects to me.

Reaction Score
Why are people assuming that because someone plays soccer professionally, they can also play basketball at a professional level?

Especially when the average height of a soccer player is about 6'.

Crushed? Based on what, their ability to put a ball in the upper 90 off a full volley?

;)

Reaction Score
That seems a bit high...

per google:

Their average height was 5 feet, 11 1/2 inches tall. Germany's pros average 6 feet at the tallest end of the spectrum, and Spain's are the shortest at 5 feet, 10-3/4 inches. Goalies average 6 feet, 2 inches, midfielders, 5 feet, 10-3/4 inches, and forwards and defenders are right around 5 feet, 11-1/2 inches.Mar 23, 2011

Edit: I didn't add the emphasis - google did.

Reaction Score
I thought he should have gone #1, it's amazing there is still a Euro bias when the league if full of great Euro players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
per google:

Their average height was 5 feet, 11 1/2 inches tall. Germany's pros average 6 feet at the tallest end of the spectrum, and Spain's are the shortest at 5 feet, 10-3/4 inches. Goalies average 6 feet, 2 inches, midfielders, 5 feet, 10-3/4 inches, and forwards and defenders are right around 5 feet, 11-1/2 inches.Mar 23, 2011

Edit: I didn't add the emphasis - google did.

Surprised about that. Would have guessed 5'10 max in most mixed Euro leagues, outside of the Scandi-German-Dutch leagues.

the Q

Reaction Score
Why the heck did Atlanta trade him? Because they have demographics in mind?

Trae Young was like a lot by analytics, and Dallas was supposed to be awful.

That was trying to get a little greedy.

But the fact that Dallas would’ve rather given up a top 10 pick than Harrison Barnes is laughably bad GMing.

Reaction Score
Trae Young was like a lot by analytics, and Dallas was supposed to be awful.

That was trying to get a little greedy.

But the fact that Dallas would’ve rather given up a top 10 pick than Harrison Barnes is laughably bad GMing.
Trae Young still has plenty of time, his 3 is off but he should be a good shooter long term. Plus, Atlanta is going to be able to get one of Duke’s wings, Nassir Little, or Rui for sure this year. Taking any one of those guys + Young instead of Doncic at the time of the 2018 draft was a fair decision IMO.

the Q

Reaction Score
Trae Young still has plenty of time, his 3 is off but he should be a good shooter long term. Plus, Atlanta is going to be able to get one of Duke’s wings, Nassir Little, or Rui for sure this year. Taking any one of those guys + Young instead of Doncic at the time of the 2018 draft was a fair decision IMO.

I think it was a reasonable decision. But the pick was too 5 protected. So the chances of getting most of those guys with the Dallas pick was low at best from day 1.

Reaction Score
Luka is a stud. He has the "it factor" and has already transformed the Mavs chemistry and locker room. He was the one player in the draft who'd change an entire franchise. I was adamant about this kid being the #1 pick all of last season. It was plain as day to me; not a complicated decision. I hope the Suns, Kings, and Hawks FOs are already sick to their stomachs.

You can have one of...

1) A traditional big man who's terrible defensively and doesn't make teammates better.
2) A big man whose offensive game doesn't fit the modern NBA, is a terrible defender, has sub-par length, and doesn't make teammates better.
3) A 6'8" playmaker with a well-rounded game, is a great passer, won MVP of the second-best league in the world at 19, and excels at making teammates better. A perfect fit for today's NBA.
4) A homeless man's Steph Curry who was terrible in conference play against good competition and struggles with the athleticism of the pro game.

So many folks were acting like Doncic had already hit his ceiling simply because he'd been playing pro ball for years. I think there was a bit of Luka fatigue. He's probably the best prospect since Anthony Davis. Silly he wasn't the no-brainer top pick.

Ayton's ceiling is Boogie, which wins you nothing in today's NBA. I also don't care for his IQ/feel for the game. A big man has to be an Anthony Davis-type in today's NBA for me to take him first overall.

Bagley had no business being the #2 pick but SAC was in a tough spot since no other top prospects agreed to work out for them. He belonged at the back end of the run of bigs; after Jackson, Bamba, and Carter. Hell, he might end up with a worse career than someone like Mitchell Robinson too.

Trae Young will eventually find his shot but I'm not sure he'll ever be a great finisher inside the arc and he'll always be a massive defensive liability. Time will tell if the extra 1st rounder from Dallas will matter but based on the Mavs already turning things around that pick is already looking worse.

Reaction Score
Luka is a stud. He has the "it factor" and has already transformed the Mavs chemistry and locker room. He was the one player in the draft who'd change an entire franchise. I was adamant about this kid being the #1 pick all of last season. It was plain as day to me; not a complicated decision. I hope the Suns, Kings, and Hawks FOs are already sick to their stomachs.

You can have one of...

1) A traditional big man who's terrible defensively and doesn't make teammates better.
2) A big man whose offensive game doesn't fit the modern NBA, is a terrible defender, has sub-par length, and doesn't make teammates better.
3) A 6'8" playmaker with a well-rounded game, is a great passer, won MVP of the second-best league in the world at 19, and excels at making teammates better. A perfect fit for today's NBA.
4) A homeless man's Steph Curry who was terrible in conference play against good competition and struggles with the athleticism of the pro game.

So many folks were acting like Doncic had already hit his ceiling simply because he'd been playing pro ball for years. I think there was a bit of Luka fatigue. He's probably the best prospect since Anthony Davis. Silly he wasn't the no-brainer top pick.

Ayton's ceiling is Boogie, which wins you nothing in today's NBA. I also don't care for his IQ/feel for the game. A big man has to be an Anthony Davis-type in today's NBA for me to take him first overall.

Bagley had no business being the #2 pick but SAC was in a tough spot since no other top prospects agreed to work out for them. He belonged at the back end of the run of bigs; after Jackson, Bamba, and Carter. Hell, he might end up with a worse career than someone like Mitchell Robinson too.

Trae Young will eventually find his shot but I'm not sure he'll ever be a great finisher inside the arc and he'll always be a massive defensive liability. Time will tell if the extra 1st rounder from Dallas will matter but based on the Mavs already turning things around that pick is already looking worse.

I agree with most of this. But overall this rookie class is excellent. After Luka my favorite so far is Jaron Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom