OT - "Love that Dirty Water"?... | The Boneyard

OT - "Love that Dirty Water"?...

Reaction Score
I can think of a million reasons why this is a bad idea, but got Rutgers it's just another day to f something up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Now you can transmit herpes and such without all the awkwardness of trying to hook up and gracefully separate next morning.

Reaction Score
I got excited. I thought this was going to be a Red Sox thread.
50 years since 1967. The miracle year. Remember it well.

Have to mention UConn FB or the censor will delete the post. Was it the 1965, 1966, or 1967 UConn Huskies team that first beat Yale? That was a huge breakthrough at the time.

Now back to the 1967 Red Sox. It was all going so well until they ran into Bob Gibson in the series. Oh well.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You have to pull this nonsense to get people to show up and watch your team play a team that has a shot at the national title? Woof

Reaction Score
50 years since 1967. The miracle year. Was it the 1965, 1966, or 1967 UConn Huskies team that first beat Yale?
It's tough for even me to believe but I was at both the 1965 UConn win at Yale --the first ever (UConn's Mike Zito put a crushing hit on Calvin Hill which he later called one of the toughest hits he absorbed). Then to add insult to Yale, Head Coach Carmen Cozza received a telegram from a Yale grad, which read, "There is a train leaving New Haven for New York tonight at 9:15 - be under it."
BTW, Lou Holtz was an asst. coach for the Huskies. That was a great day.

As for the '67 World Series at Fenway, we heard on WHUS about general admission/standing room only tickets going on sale that day and my buddy Denny and I jumped into my car and immediately drove from campus to Boston and stood in a long line to buy 4 tickets each to games 1, 2, 6 and 7. Buying 6 and 7 game tix was a gamble for obvious reasons. We then had a brainstorm and circled back into line and bought 4 more tickets to games 6 and 7-- and did it again-twice. We now had 16 tickets each to games that might never happen. Our plan was to scalp them outside Fenway and get spending money for the year. We were in the stands at Memorial Stadium watching Husky football when the announcer said the Sox had won in St Louis and were coming home for game 6. We were leaping and shouting. We made a bundle before game 6 selling tix for exhorbitant money--until we were grabbed by plain clothes cops who brought us inside the stadium, took our money and remaining 6th game tix but thankfully took some pity on us and didn't say "you're under arrest"! We both would have fainted. But they didn't get our 7th game tix, so we watched game 6 with hope and trepidation as Gary Waslewski threw a great game with Elston Howard cheering him on from his catchers position. Rico P hit homers and we won. What a thrill--we not only had a chance to win the World Series---we had all 32 of our 7th game tix --which we sold carefully the next day on the other side of the stadium. "Lonborg and Champaign" said the headline but the Sox lost as Bob Gibson and Julian Javier were simply too good. The next year we were both in the dorm reading the paper as Detroit played the Cardinals and saw this headline " Students arrested outside Busch Stadium for scalping tickets". We just looked at each other and said Holy XXX--that could have been us!

Reaction Score
Fond memories from a bygone era. I have a coupla friends who played in that Yale game. We are kayaking buddies now. None of our fastballs move like they used to and probably could not even be called fastballs anymore. But we still have the talent for putting away a large pizza with everything on it (including anchovies) and washing it down with a couple pitchers. Some things you never lose.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It's tough for even me to believe but I was at both the 1965 UConn win at Yale --the first ever (UConn's Mike Zito put a crushing hit on Calvin Hill which he later called one of the toughest hits he absorbed). Then to add insult to Yale, Head Coach Carmen Cozza received a telegram from a Yale grad, which read, "There is a train leaving New Haven for New York tonight at 9:15 - be under it."
BTW, Lou Holtz was an asst. coach for the Huskies. That was a great day.

As for the '67 World Series at Fenway, we heard on WHUS about general admission/standing room only tickets going on sale that day and my buddy Denny and I jumped into my car and immediately drove from campus to Boston and stood in a long line to buy 4 tickets each to games 1, 2, 6 and 7. Buying 6 and 7 game tix was a gamble for obvious reasons. We then had a brainstorm and circled back into line and bought 4 more tickets to games 6 and 7-- and did it again-twice. We now had 16 tickets each to games that might never happen. Our plan was to scalp them outside Fenway and get spending money for the year. We were in the stands at Memorial Stadium watching Husky football when the announcer said the Sox had won in St Louis and were coming home for game 6. We were leaping and shouting. We made a bundle before game 6 selling tix for exhorbitant money--until we were grabbed by plain clothes cops who brought us inside the stadium, took our money and remaining 6th game tix but thankfully took some pity on us and didn't say "you're under arrest"! We both would have fainted. But they didn't get our 7th game tix, so we watched game 6 with hope and trepidation as Gary Waslewski threw a great game with Elston Howard cheering him on from his catchers position. Rico P hit homers and we won. What a thrill--we not only had a chance to win the World Series---we had all 32 of our 7th game tix --which we sold carefully the next day on the other side of the stadium. "Lonborg and Champaign" said the headline but the Sox lost as Bob Gibson and Julian Javier were simply too good. The next year we were both in the dorm reading the paper as Detroit played the Cardinals and saw this headline " Students arrested outside Busch Stadium for scalping tickets". We just looked at each other and said Holy XXX--that could have been us!

We were at the 1965 game as well. When Gene Campbell returned the INT for the winning TD I got to hug and kiss a pretty UConn co-ed who was with us, the highlight of my day as a youngster.

It's doubtful that hit you remember on Hill occurred during that game. Hill would have been a freshman that year. Back in those days, freshmen were ineligible to play on the varsity teams. They had freshmen football. Hill played in the infamous 29-29 game at Harvard Stadium in 1968 as a senior, so his first season on the Yale varsity would have been 1966. My dad and I attended all of Yale's home games during those seasons. I doubt we would have beaten Yale in '65 if Hill had played in that game. ;)

Reaction Score
What was his comment about hitting in the NFL? Something about it being really hard but nothing he hadn't already experienced in UConn games?

Reaction Score
50 years since 1967. The miracle year. Remember it well.

Have to mention UConn FB or the censor will delete the post. Was it the 1965, 1966, or 1967 UConn Huskies team that first beat Yale? That was a huge breakthrough at the time.

Now back to the 1967 Red Sox. It was all going so well until they ran into Bob Gibson in the series. Oh well.

Reaction Score
1965. I was there! Gene Campbell ran back an INT to win the game. We tried to hit every bar on the way back to Storrs, but we're afraid of piling up a '55 Chrysler. The campus rocked until daylight. It was "GREAT!!!," with apologies to Flounder in Animal House. Homer Babbige, a Yalie, led the cheers on the President's lawn. He was a great guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom