OT-Lost my best friend.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by Hankster, May 31, 2016.

1. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

After deep thought, I had my best friend, an 11 year old West Highland Terrier put to sleep yesterday. Memorial Day. He was diabetic for some years. Receiving insulin twice a day, and eating bland special food for diabetic dogs. Starting a little over 3 weeks ago, he was experiencing a drop in sugar and rushed him to the vet. The blood work showed problems with the Pancreas. After pushing sugar down him, probably Karo he looked fine. The days went on, his appetite went way down, just wanted to lay down. Not interested in his treat or a piece of steak. I knew this was it. I watch TV in the family room in a recliner, he is always laying in the next recliner. It was 10 pm, I picked him and said "lets go buddy, outside and then to bed. He looked confused, took a couple of steps outside and fell down. I gave him the Karo, he regained and carried him up to bed. Next morning he went straight to my office and laid in his hammock. I didn't want him to suffer anymore.
    I called the Vet and he said to bring him in. On a holiday even. The procedure was calm. He treated my best friend with dignity. Giving me all the time I needed and he stayed. I do not wish to explain my reactions and feelings. I am having him cremated. I made sure he will be alone and looked at the vet in the eye explaining to him how I will feel if I find out otherwise.

I never lost anyone who I truly loved. Until yesterday.

Horatio, donyell34, David 76 and 28 others like this.
  2. 80shusky

80shusky

I am so very sorry to hear this story. I hope your memories will keep him with you.

3. minidarren

minidarren #freeHFD

I dread the day. My condolences.

boog204, McHuski, Hankster and 8 others like this.
  4. david

david

You'll never be able to replace him, but I hope you take some solace in the fact that he led a very happy life and loved you back

CL82, Hankster, Huskies4ever and 3 others like this.
  5. DogBoy

DogBoy

Hi Hank, your post made me cry. They are as much a part of the family as children. Had a similar experience recently with my 14 year old female pointer. She had cushings really bad and we did the best we could with what we called the "baby girl". We finally came to the conclusion that she would likely be happier on the other side of the rainbow bridge. We still have her 10 year old son but it definitely sucks to lose one. Con-soul yourself that you did the right thing here. Your difficult decision was correct for both of you.

I"m sure it is too soon but. . . . . did I mention puppies rock ! Just Sayin. . . . . . . Kind thoughts go out to you and your former pal.

6. jibsey

jibsey

Thoughts are with you Hank, been through it myself and it's really difficult. As time goes on I hope your pain is eased.

7. joober jones

joober jones Finally Non-Fat Guy

I'm very, very sorry to hear this and my thoughts are with you. Pets are family members too and their loss is a huge one.

8. uconnell

uconnell

Have lost so many dogs, it breaks my heart. I have 2 that were my special females and I still cry and miss them every day, after many years. We have taken in pound dogs over the years. Great dogs, the one we have now is an American Staffordshire Terrier and she loves everyone, except other dogs.

So sorry for your loss, it does leave a hole in your heart.

9. UC313

UC313

Never easy to lose a 4 legged friend but you did what was best. You were there for your dog when he needed you the most just like he did for you all those years. Ill admit to sobbing uncontrollably when i had to take our lab to the vet the last time but i smile every time i smell dog piss in the back of my jeep. That was gracie's last memory she left me with on that unfortunate day. It was very very her.

10. fatlucy

fatlucy

I'm so sorry you lost your loved one. It's so hard to make that decision and suffer through the pain. I had to do the same thing two years ago and I had a really hard time. If it helps at all, sometime not too long from now, the pain of your loss will become happy memories and you'll be able to feel the good side of his love again. Peace.

11. DogBoy

DogBoy

Ill admit to sobbing uncontrollably when i had to take our lab to the vet the last time but i smile every time i smell dog piss in the back of my jeep.

Well . . . ah . . . . Yes. . . . . same here. . . . . . . ..

BLUEDOGHOUSE, Hankster and mauconnfan like this.
  12. scotty0330

scotty0330

Put my lab down last summer and it was excruciating. Like you I was able to be there with him for his last moments and it was peaceful but that did not make it any easier. Losing a friend like a dog is hard any true dog lover can attest to that....those that can't never will. Time does help but even when I think back it is not an easy feeling. Just take comfort in you're not alone having to have made this wise but painful decision.

13. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Sad story. Condolences my friend.

Hankster and BLUEDOGHOUSE like this.
  14. nomar

nomar

I have a 10-month old puppy and I feel really sorry for myself in (hopefully) 15+ years.

15. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

My thoughts are with you. Felt the same way when I lost Sherman who I adopted from Bida-Wee in NYC many years ago.

Your thoughts are heartfelt. I feel your pain.

Best Always,
    BDH

16. SallyH

SallyH

Our pets steal then break our hearts. My siberian husky, Gypsy, was special indeed. We bought her in the tropics, Venezuela. Then we moved her to Panama (on the beach). Trust me when I say, Siberians are not bred to deal with crabs. She was enchanted. She would chase those crabs. Anyone who has had a Husky, will tell you they are great diggers. She'd chase a crab until it buried itself, pounce on the spot where it disappeared and dig like crazy; until, of course, if popped up two yards away; whereupon the chase was on again. Rinse, repeat all day long.

She also developed diabetes and finally needed so much insulin that it was toxic to the rest of her body. Time to say goodbye. But I was a mess for quite a while. The best you can give your pet (mammal) is love.

17. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

We've been here on the BY before and I hate this and feel SOOO much sadness for you Hankster. I hope you can just know that you were the best thing that happened to each other and his life was terrific because you were his best friend, it really was, you made him happy and he did the same for you.

As mandarin said, I dread the day, I really do.

Thoughts to you and I hope the heartache eventually becomes bearable soon.

Have my 13 year old black lab and the best friend I ever had next to me reading this, crying with the thought. she's showing age in our walks when it swarm, it scares the crap out of me to start to show things like that. Damn they're so wonderful!

18. Dove

Dove Vance comin'

Sad to read Hankster. My dawg weeps for you...
    [​IMG]

CL82, BLUEDOGHOUSE, nomar and 5 others like this.
  19. Dogbreath2U

Dogbreath2U

Losing your dog is no small thing. Take care of yourself.

20. OkaForPrez

OkaForPrez Really Popular Poster

Dogs don't outlive us because as hard as it is to lose them, it'd be harder on them to lose us. Perfect creatures. Hope you find some peace.

champs99and04, CL82, MOMO74 and 7 others like this.
  21. storrsroars

storrsroars Exiled in Pittsburgh

Sorry for your loss. There's never a "good" time to say goodbye, but be thankful for the time your shared and that you had the opportunity to put your pup to sleep peacefully.

We lost one at home three years ago. We knew we'd have to put him down soon due to blood cancer, but he wasn't waiting on us. He went south in a hurry one Sunday night and it was not something I wish to relive. Death throes can go on for an awfully long time.

Our Aussie Shepherd just turned 14-3/4 - the same age as on the bone-shaped cake in that Subaru ad with the dog bucket list. Poor guy is mostly blind and deaf, takes 20 pills a day, including 8 painkillers. But still wants to go out on walks and is excited to get in the car. As long as he's still eating and pooping, he'll be around. Just hope we don't wait too long this time.

22. fleudslipcon

fleudslipcon We are still UConn!!

Really really sorry for your loss Hankster! I know it hurts and nothing we can say will fill the void you now have. That's the downside of loving something so much! Came here four years ago broken hearted with the same bad news. Hurt so bad that for two years just thinking about her caused me to struggle breathing. As it happens we visited some friends in our old neighborhood yesterday and as we drove by the street we use to go for walks ten years prior a rush of emotions, both happy and sad, hit me once again.

We had 15 years of wonderful memories together but I still wish she could be with me. I know you and all the others who've lost their best friends feel the same way.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  23. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Thank you everyone. Your comments were wonderful.

BLUEDOGHOUSE and mauconnfan like this.
  24. Hans Sprungfeld

Hans Sprungfeld Ignoring *is* bliss

Deepest sympathies for your loss, and great thanks for your sharing it with us. Just as our beloved dogs do, you've touched our humanity.

25. Bliss

Bliss

I'm a dog lover and lost my first little guy, Bo, when he was 14 nearly 30 years ago. He was cremated separately and is still with me. My current little guy, Poncho, is now 14, blind, and has no teeth. The vet said that he might have a good year or two left. He will also be cremated and will sit next to Bo. This will be the last dog because I cannot go through the loss a third time. I find solace in the following and perhaps you will too.

A DOG’S PRAYER

Treat me kindly, my beloved friends, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, my friends, when I am very old and no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I shall leave this earth knowing that with the last breath that I draw, that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown

26. J-dog

J-dog

Sorry to hear such sad news, Hankster. Dogs are such amazing companions that as much as it hurts to lose them, the joy they bring make it it all worth it. They make us better.

Godspeed to Rainbow Bridge for your sweet prince.

Hankster likes this.
  27. Cheddie

Cheddie

I had a dog that lived nearly 18 years, and suffered two strokes at the end of his life. When it was time, it was one of the worst days of my life. I thought I'd never get another pet. And then we got a cat. A cat! But he was incredibly friendly, and I grew very attached to him as well. He developed bone cancer at age 16 that we discovered when one of his legs fractured. The leg needed to be amputated, but he was a fighter. He survived nearly 18 months on 3 legs, while undergoing chemo and even a transfusion. Again, it was terribly difficult to lose him. But now we have two cats.

I would offer this to you. It seems clear from your post that you have a special place in your heart for animals. And I can assure you that when you are ready there is another pet eager to become your good friend. It will never replace the pet you just lost, but it will bond just as strongly with you, recognizing your love, and give you many, many years of companionship and its own love.

28. Hankster

Hankster What do I know.

Wow. Thank you.

29. Dogdeacon

Dogdeacon

I lost my first yellow lab more than 20 years ago now. The hardest, saddest part is when the vet sent me the ashes and I first walked across the house carrying my dog in a box. For months after that I'd see her in my dreams, it was wonderful to feel her there or as a part of me. Hope your dog spirit stays with you always.

mauconnfan and uconnell like this.
  30. CL82

CL82 It's going to be ok - calm down and enjoy the ride

Hank, my heart goes out to you. I agree 100% with posters who talk about the owner dog bond. Dogs are unconditional love and abject loyalty wrapped in fur. There's a reason why they touch us the way they do.