OT: Lonzo Ball

Discussion in 'Off Topic Archive' started by BLUEDOGHOUSE, May 8, 2016.

1. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I was just curious what some of the more in the know college hoops junkies think of this kids prospects next year and beyond. It seems he stayed off the major AAU circuits per his dads advise. Ultimately was National Player of the Year (if not mistaken) in high school last year while leading his team to a #1 national ranking. He has been called by some the best passing point guard ever coming out of high school. I understand his high school team (Chino Hills) played an unconventional style and finished something like 35-0.

Despite all the accolades Ball is nowhere to be seen on the 2017 Mock drafts (DraftXpress) even though he is a 6'5 PG with elite passing skills. ESPN ranks him 4th (or close to it) in the class of 2016.

Is this kid way overhyped or is he going to be the real deal?

2. Huskyforlife

Huskyforlife Best poster

I watched a couple of his high school games, from what i saw he was incredibly overrated. Half his assist come off full court bombs that will never work on higher levels consistently. He would be the best passer on this team, will be a good college player, but his top 5 ESPN ranking seems like a joke just based on the 2 games I saw. I'll be watching his college career closely

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  3. Matrim55

Matrim55 Why is it so hard To make it in America

He's committed to playing 2 years at UCLA, so that he can play as a sophomore with his brother LiAngelo, who's a year behind him. LiAngelo is a high 3-star SG, who'd be a reach for UCLA if it wasn't a package deal.

Lonzo is awesome, but he's no Jared Jordan.

Jerry1714 and BLUEDOGHOUSE like this.
  4. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

The form on his jump shot is very unorthodox. He seems to shoot from the perimeter over his opposite shoulder.

mauconnfan and Huskyforlife like this.
  5. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

Interesting I didn't know that...

I knew of his brother but didn't know they wanted to play together at UCLA.

6. Matrim55

Friend of mine who's well connected at UCLA (he's a graduate & works at FS1) says Ball's commit is one of the 2 big reasons Alford still has a job. If there's no Final 4 (at the very least) in the next 2 years, he's out.

7. Stairmaster

Stairmaster Stainmaster?

Additionally, brother #3 (LaMelo) is committed to play point starting in 2019-20. Never seen tape of him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's another piece of a package deal who wouldn't be going there without Lonzo.

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  8. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

hmmmmmmmmm....interesting.

9. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I saw a little tape of him. Just hard to tell really with LaMelo because he is still so young. I believe he started and played great though on this years team.

10. ConnZag3

ConnZag3 NCAA Hoops Connoisseur

This! His jumper looked HORRIBLE in the McDonald's game. Not surprised he can score 30 ppg with it in HS, but that's never gonna work in college. Especially when you won't be getting a whole lot of coaching at UCLA from Alford...

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  11. CAHUSKY

CAHUSKY UConn Class of 2013

LaMelo is a Lilliputian sized Steph Curry. For a freshman, he is absolutely unreal, just tiny. If he grows he will be fantastic. I saw them play a few times this year and always wondered why Lonzo is viewed by many as the second coming.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
    BLUEDOGHOUSE and mauconnfan like this.
  12. Burnsbros23

Burnsbros23

Their team played a National high school schedule and went undefeated. Lonzo averaged a triple double. To me he's a 6'6 PG who's an elite passer. Shaun Livingston type. Who had no jumper when he was coming. If UCLA runs and puts the ball in his hands he will be great. But with Hamilton Alford Holiday there that's a lot of ball dominant guards.

LiAngelo is a 6'5 lights out shooter. I would take him if he wanted to committ to UConn so does that make him a reach at UCLA?

LaMelo has an ugly shot but it goes in. He has floaters can handle. And judging by his brothers and parents he will end up 6'6 and be a great player.

They avoided some competition because they didn't travel. But they were in Vegas when my team was and played and beat Dennis Smith's Team Loaded.

13. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Jason Kidd-like?

He couldn't shoot worth a lick when he got to college, turned out ok.:oops:

BLUEDOGHOUSE and huskyharry like this.
  14. Worldwide

Worldwide

Chino Hills plays an unorthodox style of basketball. Most of the times only 2 or 3 guys are back on defense. Then the ball is thrown up court quickly on offense for a quick 3. As a result, there system makes it hard to judge talent and how it will translate. His AAU team also played the same way. He is indeed talented but many worry that it is a product of the system they run. Once he hits UCLA the draft expert will have a better opportunity to evaluate them.

fleudslipcon and BLUEDOGHOUSE like this.
  15. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I think it was his dad that commented about the form on his jumper. His reasoning was since he always played up against players 4 years older than him since he was under 10 years old....in order to get his shot off he had to use this type of form. Doesn't make much sense to me but...

16. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

Not sure how S.Alford will bring Alford, Holiday and Ball onto the same page. I am not sure how early L. Ball committed to UCLA but his father in an interview mentioned he wanted his kids to give an early commitment so the staff at UCLA could recruit the right players around them.

Are you referring to Chino Hills in Vegas for a tournament or an AAU team?

17. Burnsbros23

Burnsbros23

It was AAU. Big Ballers XT was their team. UCLA will be interesting to watch next year. Did Isaac Hamilton go Pro? Should graduated and transferred here. Play with lil bro. . They can't play all four of those guards together.

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  18. intlzncster

intlzncster i fart in your general direction

Eh, all that matters is that it goes in. If it works, use it:

[​IMG]

No idea how Ball as a shooter, just saying.

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  19. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

No Isaac is returning to UCLA. Lil bro hired the agent and is headed to the NBA combine. They probably will bring Holiday off the bench. Start Ball, Alford, Hamilton, Leaf and Welsh. I just can't see that team chemistry flowing to well. To many moving parts and not enough unselfishness in all likelihood. Of course if I am wrong LOOK OUT. lol

20. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I agree with you. Last I check Ball was hitting at around 36% from downtown in high school. He just seems to be more of a mystery than most of the other 5 star guys.

21. Matrim55

BLUEDOGHOUSE likes this.
  22. BLUEDOGHOUSE

BLUEDOGHOUSE

I just finished reading this before you posted. Thanks....:)

The quotes from his father as it relates to UCLA next year are interesting.

23. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

It will be good for steve Alford that "he's not giving a him a player he needs to change"

:rolleyes: Good luck with that one Steve, not going to be pretty if you aren't winning dad will be vying for your head and your job.

24. caw

caw

Alford's seat is already a bit hot. Have to say they have a crowded and talented backcourt.

Alford -SR
    Hamilton - SR
    Ali - So
    Holiday - So
    Ball - F

Alford is going to have to play a lot of three guard lineups to keep everyone happy.

Hands and Ball already committed for 2017 also.

mauconnfan likes this.
  25. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

I thought Ali was leaving?