OT: local high school....Katie DaCosta...fired from Weaver | The Boneyard

OT: local high school....Katie DaCosta...fired from Weaver

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
From the article - "Weaver, which is 6-7, is currently being coached by interim coach Mudarris Jihad."

An unfortunate surname?

Jim

Reaction Score
I hadn't been following this story, but after reading the article it seems to me that there are two conflicting issues at play: The fired coach, in order to have a successful team, was trying to instill discipline and personal responsibilty in her players. The school administrators clearly have a different objective. With an inner-city school, it's possible they are concerned that if the player is not reinstated (and has an additional reason to come to school), the kid could drop out of the system entirely. I know I am just speculating (although the article does mention the kid had academic issues), but without more info it is hard to understand why the administration wouldn't back the coach.

Reaction Score
I hadn't been following this story, but after reading the article it seems to me that there are two conflicting issues at play: The fired coach, in order to have a successful team, was trying to instill discipline and personal responsibilty in her players. The school administrators clearly have a different objective. With an inner-city school, it's possible they are concerned that if the player is not reinstated (and has an additional reason to come to school), the kid could drop out of the system entirely. I know I am just speculating (although the article does mention the kid had academic issues), but without more info it is hard to understand why the administration wouldn't back the coach.

Typical administration BS. The coach is right, part of coaching is teaching life lessons and personal responsibility is probably number one.

Reaction Score
Admin apparently sees sports as a diversion rather than a chance to instill some discipline and build personal responsibility. Don't blame the coach for opting out.

Reaction Score
I would have put her back on and she would have been a 20/20/20 player at best.

Reaction Score
It seems obvious that someone brought pressure on the administration and they caved in. This is not that unusual in public schools.

Reaction Score
Again without being intimately involved in all the behaviors of the player and the reaction and decision making by the coach it's impossible to know what truly went on here.
There are two very valid sides to this complex debate. Coaches and teachers need to have high standards and hold their students accountable for their behaviors. Also there are some kids, and this can be from inner city public schools or some kids whose parents have a lot more financially and give their kids a sense of entitlement. I've had a lot of recent experience with foster kids in NYC who some describe as "throwaways". Every child, teenager and young adult needs a support system and sense of being cared for in order to first survive and then hopefully to excel in sports and life.
All I am saying is there might be an argument for each side here and yes there also needs to be a point when enough is enough. Again, it's impossible to know in this or any situation what was done and what else could or should have been done. I am not a bleeding heart liberal just someone who knows we have to put ourselves in someone else's shoes to try and do what's best for that specific student as well as all the other students.
Bronx23

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Katie (the Coach) is a local talent and is very dedicated and stern in her ways. I'm sure she knows the kid and the behavior/talent. I'll trust her judgement on this one. AAU circuit, CT Northstars which her father is/was the President/CEO

Bulkeyley High

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom