OT: Living Well and Brain Health | The Boneyard

OT: Living Well and Brain Health

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
My attention has been focused on the relationship between living well and brain health for the past few years. This article provides one of the best overviews I've seen on this. Very off topic, but I hope some of my BY friends might benefit from reading this.

8 Things We're Doing Wrong for Our Mental Health

Live Well.
Kirk Sinclair
Norfolk, CT (the Icebox of CT, where it's snowing right now)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My attention has been focused on the relationship between living well and brain health for the past few years. This article provides one of the best overviews I've seen on this. Very off topic, but I hope some of my BY friends might benefit from reading this.

8 Things We're Doing Wrong for Our Mental Health

Live Well.
Kirk Sinclair
Norfolk, CT (the Icebox of CT, where it's snowing right now)
#9). Do not visit The Boneyard after a loss.

Reaction Score
Smoking a cigar. I'm often alone. Not on my cell phone staring into the sky, watching the birds play, the trees swaying to their own rhythms, people driving by in a hurry running errands, the breeze of the cool wind pushing pollen within a breaths reach. Smoke and pollen dancing up my nasal passage tickling my throat enough to invoke the occasional cough. Ahhh the good life, good for the brain and sorta good for the health too?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Scotch, Bourbon and good sipping rums have really helped my brain health. As Home Simpson said, it's survival of the fittest up there. You've got to kill off the weaker brain cells periodically or they bring down your average.

The article is fine, but "meditation" and "being alone with your thoughts" are pretty much the same thing. Being "out in nature" can be the same too, and "Spirituality". It all simply equates to not worrying about and relaxing and thinking about stuff. I have an overactive imagination, so I'm ok there. I'm trying to read more, get more exercise, and eat better.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Scotch, Bourbon and good sipping rums have really helped my brain health. As Home Simpson said, it's survival of the fittest up there. You've got to kill off the weaker brain cells periodically or they bring down your average.

The article is fine, but "meditation" and "being alone with your thoughts" are pretty much the same thing. Being "out in nature" can be the same too, and "Spirituality". It all simply equates to not worrying about and relaxing and thinking about stuff. I have an overactive imagination, so I'm ok there. I'm trying to read more, get more exercise, and eat better.

You make a good observation in regards to "double dipping," which these overviews often do. I like the article because "double dipping" with strategies is a good idea. Research done at Northwestern teased out what appeared to be the four most salient characteristics of super agers (people whose mental health remains vibrant through old age). These are: exercise, being positive, being social and being active. Each of these involve some different hormones/metabolic activity so are not really "double dipping," though I suspect that being social and being positive tend to reinforce each other. Diet and totally refraining from bad habits were not as important as these (which gets at UNVA's comment). The rum and the cigar likely are effective stress elimination mechanisms for him, though there are better ones. If you are getting sufficient exercise and smoke only occasionally you are probably OK. However, meditation or a walk in nature would be better because of no restriction to blood flow (in fact, the walk in nature would facilitate blood flow in addition to being meditative). Also, red wine would be better than rum because of the antioxidants involved (though too much alcohol, like too much smoke, is bad for brain health).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You make a good observation in regards to "double dipping," which these overviews often do. I like the article because "double dipping" with strategies is a good idea. Research done at Northwestern teased out what appeared to be the four most salient characteristics of super agers (people whose mental health remains vibrant through old age). These are: exercise, being positive, being social and being active. Each of these involve some different hormones/metabolic activity so are not really "double dipping," though I suspect that being social and being positive tend to reinforce each other. Diet and totally refraining from bad habits were not as important as these (which gets at UNVA's comment). The rum and the cigar likely are effective stress elimination mechanisms for him, though there are better ones. If you are getting sufficient exercise and smoke only occasionally you are probably OK. However, meditation or a walk in nature would be better because of no restriction to blood flow (in fact, the walk in nature would facilitate blood flow in addition to being meditative). Also, red wine would be better than rum because of the antioxidants involved (though too much alcohol, like too much smoke, is bad for brain health).

I'm good with red wine too! I'm an equal opportunity alcohol user. Cutting back on beer though, as it seems to impact weight negatively. And I'm a non-smoker. Trying to walk more, with the nature part being a bit constrained (certainly by a winter that would not end). Golf should count towards that, and it's social. I'll be up walking around the neighborhood at 6:00 AM tomorrow, as I begin a step challenge competition at work.

Reaction Score
I've tried meditation; it's pretty cool and the benefits were surprising. Anyone who leads a stressful life (so all of us) should try it. I'm sure it won't benefit everyone but it's worth a shot IMO. Even if it's just ten minutes. There are some good free apps out there. I think it's becoming more popular but still fighting an uphill battle against the meathead "me so tough, I don't need that monk BS" American attitude.

Same thing with weed. The notion that everyone who smokes is a stoner who abuses the stuff will slowly disappear over the years. Puffing the equivalent of "a glass or two of red wine" can do wonders for stress. In 100 years people will look back at how cannabis was viewed (and the fact that it was illegal) and scratch their heads. I've also learned in my mid-30s that way, way more people smoke than you realize, especially "normal" people.

For me, nothing tops exercise though. I feel off if I don't exercise 4-6 days a week. I feel fantastic afterward, mentally and physically. Everyone's brain is different, of course, but I don't know how people survive with zero exercise in their life.

Reaction Score
This article provides one of the best overviews I've seen on this.
I heard an interesting point the other day. Guy said something to the effect that, in movies, they do the whole go-back-in-time and change a small thing and you have dramatic consequences for the future. Think of the Butterfly Effect or Back to the Future. And it all seems very believable.
But in real life, people don't think that making small changes will do much to the trajectory of their lives.
Thanks for posting this - been meaning to make some changes in my life. This may end up being the starting point.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I heard an interesting point the other day. Guy said something to the effect that, in movies, they do the whole go-back-in-time and change a small thing and you have dramatic consequences for the future. Think of the Butterfly Effect or Back to the Future. And it all seems very believable.
But in real life, people don't think that making small changes will do much to the trajectory of their lives.
Thanks for posting this - been meaning to make some changes in my life. This may end up being the starting point.

You are welcome! I'm glad to hear this may have a positive impact.

Reaction Score
I've tried meditation; it's pretty cool and the benefits were surprising. Anyone who leads a stressful life (so all of us) should try it. I'm sure it won't benefit everyone but it's worth a shot IMO. Even if it's just ten minutes. There are some good free apps out there. I think it's becoming more popular but still fighting an uphill battle against the meathead "me so tough, I don't need that monk BS" American attitude.

Same thing with weed. The notion that everyone who smokes is a stoner who abuses the stuff will slowly disappear over the years. Puffing the equivalent of "a glass or two of red wine" can do wonders for stress. In 100 years people will look back at how cannabis was viewed (and the fact that it was illegal) and scratch their heads. I've also learned in my mid-30s that way, way more people smoke than you realize, especially "normal" people.

For me, nothing tops exercise though. I feel off if I don't exercise 4-6 days a week. I feel fantastic afterward, mentally and physically. Everyone's brain is different, of course, but I don't know how people survive with zero exercise in their life.
"Micro dosing" weed seems to be the best stress reliever I've found. Going on a hike with a little buzz on makes it much more interesting and relaxing too.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Exercise is my particular interest in this topic. I'm in direct contact with people involved in this research, one of whom lamented to me "exercise isn't patentable." I've read a couple times in the literature that if the benefits of exercise could be provided in a pill it would be by far the most prescribed pill ever. Our medicated society is in reality compensating for being a sedentary society.

On the basis of what I've researched if I had to pick one exercise activity that is the best it would be high energy dancing. This combines cardiovascular, foot falls, balance and social benefits. For example, contra dancing 4-5 times a week should really keep your brain humming. Unfortunately, this is not practical for many, at least not at that frequency. It's not practical for me.

What I think might be the second best would be trail running. This combines cardiovascular, foot falls, balance (negotiating trail obstacles) and meditative benefits. Activities that involve the foot striking the ground increase blood flow. Running, hiking and dancing are superior to biking, swimming or skiing in this regards. The drawback is that foot fall activities increase the chance of joint pain, though a wise approach and plenty of antioxidants in your diet can mitigate this.

Reaction Score
Exercise is my particular interest in this topic. I'm in direct contact with people involved in this research, one of whom lamented to me "exercise isn't patentable." I've read a couple times in the literature that if the benefits of exercise could be provided in a pill it would be by far the most prescribed pill ever. Our medicated society is in reality compensating for being a sedentary society.

On the basis of what I've researched if I had to pick one exercise activity that is the best it would be high energy dancing. This combines cardiovascular, foot falls, balance and social benefits. For example, contra dancing 4-5 times a week should really keep your brain humming. Unfortunately, this is not practical for many, at least not at that frequency. It's not practical for me.

What I think might be the second best would be trail running. This combines cardiovascular, foot falls, balance (negotiating trail obstacles) and meditative benefits. Activities that involve the foot striking the ground increase blood flow. Running, hiking and dancing are superior to biking, swimming or skiing in this regards. The drawback is that foot fall activities increase the chance of joint pain, though a wise approach and plenty of antioxidants in your diet can mitigate this.
Have they done anything with music? I didn't read the link so sorry if that's covered. Music clearly has benefits though otherwise it wouldn't be so ingrained throughout humanity

Reaction Score

You seem to have an obsession with feet.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

High impact isn't great for overweight guys with bad knees. The worst part of exercise for me is that it feels like work. I don't mind exercise when I don't notice it happening. Getting 25,000 steps walking around Disney and Epcot was fine. Walking 25,000 steps....with no place to go, just so I am walking....is something I'll never do. Playing a sport...great. Going to the gym...ugh, hard to motivate myself to do it. Even when I feel better when I do, I still don't want to.

Reaction Score
On the basis of what I've researched if I had to pick one exercise activity that is the best it would be high energy dancing. This combines cardiovascular, foot falls, balance and social benefits. For example, contra dancing 4-5 times a week should really keep your brain humming. Unfortunately, this is not practical for many, at least not at that frequency. It's not practical for me
Or Salsa

Anything that gets you surrounded by Latinas has to be good for health

Unless you’re @August_West

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Have they done anything with music? I didn't read the link so sorry if that's covered. Music clearly has benefits though otherwise it wouldn't be so ingrained throughout humanity

Yes, though I'm not sure how music works at the cellular/metabolic level. They have found that music is retained throughout dementia when other memories are lost and that music helps to retain memories. Music can be like a language depending on your level of involvement and language is one of the best tools for brain enhancement. Also, finger dexterity is great for brain enhancement, as intricate movement of your fingers requires the most neural involvement of any brain activity. Playing a musical instrument provides a bunch of brain health benefits.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
You seem to have an obsession with feet.

Um, have you noticed your icon?

When I hiked the PCT in 1977 with three other guys it wasn't a finished trail and we often the only ones out there. We identified each other's footprints to know who was ahead, behind or lost. I had the same size feet and boots as one of the other hikers, but I tend to bounce when I walk, digging into the dirt as I walk, hence, diggerfoot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Micro dosing" weed seems to be the best stress reliever I've found. Going on a hike with a little buzz on makes it much more interesting and relaxing too.
Me too. An occasional bong hit is relaxing and puts your brain in a nice place. That some people still have a 1930's reefer madness mentality is strange considering all the info out there. It's just a plant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom