OT: "Living Up To The Hype" | The Boneyard

OT: "Living Up To The Hype"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Among the more dysfunctional language bits must surely be the sportscasters' favorite, "living up to the hype." If one can live up to it (and realize some goal or objective), then whatever was said or forecast of the victor cannot be called hype at all. I think of hype as an exaggeration, brag, or excessive promotion, and selfish or self-centered aggrandizement.

Some said that the Huskies (or more often Breanna) "lived up to the hype." What hype? What was proposed and sought was clearly defined. The acheivements were quite real. The achievement was the attainment of the goal.

There. ;-)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
hype is what the media says about the "player"... the player doesn't do anything, its the media that calls the players "The Next Great..."

We are creating this "hype" for MKW... but she is doing a lil teasing with pics of her visits/visitors.

I don't think these kids make those "mix tapes"... Sam B

A lot of the "hyped" are overall bust in my opinon.

King James was the most hyped Ive seen in a long time and he lived up to it in my opinion.

Mercedes Russell was hyped and Im disappointed... A'ja Wilson was hyped and is doing ok. I'll be looking at KLS this year to see what she's all about

most impressed hyped UConn player for me was KML... loved her at UConn, she lived up to it

Reaction Score
Among the more dysfunctional language bits must surely be the sportscasters' favorite, "living up to the hype." If one can live up to it (and realize some goal or objective), then whatever was said or forecast of the victor cannot be called hype at all. I think of hype as an exaggeration, brag, or excessive promotion, and selfish or self-centered aggrandizement.

Some said that the Huskies (or more often Breanna) "lived up to the hype." What hype? What was proposed and sought was clearly defined. The acheivements were quite real. The achievement was the attainment of the goal.

There. ;-)
Hype,to me, pretty much as you write--can be true and exaggerated (which most income frosh get) --self promotion has always turned me off--even if you are exceptional in what you do--Some from other Former BE teams brought that to an art form. I cannot remember one Uconn player that spoke even once of how great she was--usually if they are great the team will speak it for them..
If you want to speak of a HYPED player ---DT was it--so much so I felt sorry for her--in her Junior and Senior years (she was great as a frosh/soph) she more than lived up to it--she carried them in some big games. She made (nearly) every big shot that was needed.
Brianna for most of her UC career was accompanied by 2,3,4 people who would be hyped as the star on other teams. That's not to say she isn't truly exceptional--her career, so far , in the WNBA only proves how great she is and has been..

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Someone once said, "If you can do what you claim, then it's not bragging." This I believe, at least sometimes.

Similarly, "If you can live up to the hype, it was never hype in the first place."

It's not a major point of philosophy me, just an objection to a bit of careless wordsmithing by the talking heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom