OT: Live-In Care for seniors | The Boneyard

OT: Live-In Care for seniors

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
This is surely not the most cheerful OT topic, but it's a pretty important one. My wife's grandmother, after a quality 96 years, is visibly nearing the end zone. She still has her pride, deeply loves her home of nearly 70 years, and wants to be as independent as possible. Due to that and some very negative experiences and downright atrocities I've seen in convalescent homes both in professional and casual capacities, putting her in a home is absolutely out of the question.

We pitch in and care for her as much as we can, but being that she's 75 miles away, it's not really possible for us to be there on the basis that we need to be in order for her to be safe and to have the level of care she needs. My wife is an only child so there's not much family on her side to help out, though my sister-in-law who lives with me has been very helpful.

Anyway, to get to the point, what we really need at this point is a live-in caregiver who is professionally trained to do all of the things needed in terms of care and also to be a compassionate and dedicated companion. Does anyone here know of any services they would recommend or any that I should avoid?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
...what we really need at this point is a live-in caregiver who is professionally trained to do all of the things needed in terms of care and also to be a compassionate and dedicated companion. Does anyone here know of any services they would recommend or any that I should avoid?

I will check with my brother as to where we got the ones my mom had. We had two from the same service -- the first one had to leave to go take care of her own parent -- and never had any issue with either of them. Mom like the first one so much she was resistant to the replacement, but warmed to her after a few weeks.

Reaction Score
From what I've been reading its also wise to remove as many valuables (think jewelry, checkbook, coins, etc.) from the house prior to someone coming in. Horror stories abound, even with the most trustworthy looking caretakers.

Not trying to scare you, but just for consideration because certainly the majority of them aren't bad.

My independent, living alone dad is 84 so I to am keeping an eye out for that day to come, as the closest is also about 70 miles away.

Reaction Score
I cannot say enough good things about Companions and Homemakers. Used them with my mother and father-in-law.
They have professional people on a very flexible schedule and it is only in $20 per hour range, or $250 per day for round the clock care. We tried to independently hiring a live-in arrangement room and board plus fee but that did not work out for many reasons.
There are good assisted living facilities and convalescent homes, we found these to be good options for care. PM me if you want more details as I have been through this a couple of times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom