OT: link to U.S. Women's scoreboard....starts Thursday | The Boneyard

OT: link to U.S. Women's scoreboard....starts Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
http://www.golfchannel.com/tours/usga/2013/us-womens-open/

Should be interesting....at Sebonack on Long Island....relatively new course...looks fabulous!

9 majors in a row won by Asian players.....only one American in the top 10 in rankings [Stacy Lewis at #2]. Inbee Park at #1....has won the first two majors of the year.

Put the USGA poobahs on lie detectors and they would say they want Michelle Wie to win...imo......for the sizzle factor. She has had a couple of good outings of late but overall is in a 30 month slump. Second choice would be some young American...Lexi Thompson?

Reaction Score
Hi Blakeon...
I would love to see Lexi in it on the final day, but those Korean girls are like machines. From tee to green we can compete, but the way they roll it, especially Inbee, is just outa this world.

I would love to see Michelle Wie finish in contention also, but I don't think her putting will let her.

Anyway, I would just love for an American to win our National Championship !

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
If the link is correct, Wie just took a quadruple-bogey on her first hole..un-freakin' believable..

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Lydia Ko [amateur] is off to a nice start.....one under. I think she is 15....and already has won a pro event on the LPGA tour...in Canada last summer.....she appears to be the real deal... granted it is Dixville Notch time in her career. Michelle is 7 over after 6 holes and is about to shoot herself out of the tourney on the first day. Inbee 2 under....her swing ain't pretty but she hits it straight.

Reaction Score
Lydia Ko IS the real deal. She broke Lexi's record as the youngest to ever win a tournament. I think she makes her home in Australia now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it's a Doak and Nicklaus collaboration, which I'm still trying to understand, since they are so different. It's very close to Shinnecock. The Hamptons' scenery is amazing. There's at least one other outstanding course in the same neighborhood. I'm looking forward to Shinnecock in 2018. I think it's my favorite East Coast venue.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
On a side topic, Mechelle Voepel is taking a break from BBall to cover the tourney. :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
It is next to National Golf Links, one of the most exclusive clubs in the country.

Reaction Score
Yes
I think it's a Doak and Nicklaus collaboration, which I'm still trying to understand, since they are so different.

Basically they hired Doak to do the design and Nicklaus for his name. Ironically Doak has never liked Nicklaus' designs - most of which are quite mediocre. Doak's are anything but mediocre.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Inbee up by 2 after 36 holes....closest Americans are 5 back at T4.
Park has won the first two majors...is in good shape to make it 3. The British Open next up...then the [new] 5th major on that tour....The Evian.

This could wind up being the finest individual year for any LPGA player ever.
A way to go still.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I've added Sebonack to the long list of great courses I'll never get to play. I walked the course on Thursday and my first impression was that it didn't look US Open tough. Lots of wide fairways with very generous landing areas. Then I noticed the bunkering, and the smallish, contoured greens that were playing very fast. I revised my opinion, especially on Friday when the USGA decided to toughen up pin placement.

The USGA handout for the tournament has an article discussing the collaboration between Nicklaus and Doaks. According to the author "time was Sebonack's friend as Nicklaus' style may be said to have mellowed a bit with age." The article attributes the routing and greens to Doaks and the shot shaping and tee options to Nicklaus.

I have to say that the USGA course layout was the most gallery unfriendly of any pro tournament I've ever attended. Lots of "you can't get there from here." We found it very difficult to follow groups and there were many holes where the gallery was kept far away from fairway landing areas, probably to protect the grasses. There are no cart paths, just a few dirt tracks (like walking in soft sand at the beach) that were not oriented to the holes. Concession stands were scarce, it was difficult to find a place to buy a bottle of water without walking 500 yds, uphill both ways.. This was my first Women's US Open and I was a bit surprised that the USGA didn't do a better job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom