OT: lebron scoring | The Boneyard

OT: lebron scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Anyone have any info on average player scoring "depreciation" or anything?

I'm trying to do some math to see if lebron stands a chance of becoming all time leading scorer (he just hit #10 yesterday).

I don't particularly like the guy but good god is he a player. He looks like he's barely trying this time of year and he comes out with 25/10/10. Only top ten player in scoring to also be top 20 in assists.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who's Lebron?
Is UConn on his list? Does UConn have a chance?
Has he set a visit?
Any film?
Is he a 5*?

Reaction Score
Someone in an ESPN comment said that if he plays four more years i.e. until he is 38, while assuming he plays at least 75 games a year, he needs to average something like 21ppg those years to pass Kareem

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Someone in an ESPN comment said that if he plays four more years i.e. until he is 38, while assuming he plays at least 75 games a year, he needs to average something like 21ppg those years to pass Kareem
So 4 more years or until he's 38? Dude turns 32 next month.

Reaction Score
I think it probably depends on how much he wants the top spot. He's going to continue to slow down and if he so chooses, he could use his twilight years to transition to a dominant PF IMO. Does he want to play until he's 38-40 years old to have a shot? Who knows...

Reaction Score
I don’t think he catches Kareem. I think his decline (whenever it starts) will be gradial at first, the BOOM...i think he falls off cliff. He is entering uncharted territory in minutes played by a wing player.

That said i think he will be third on the all-time scoring list, just behind Malone, when he retires. Of course, he will also be top 10 in assists and maybe number 1 in playoff scoring when he hangs them up. Dude is a beast!

Reaction Score
I don’t think he catches Kareem. I think his decline (whenever it starts) will be gradial at first, the BOOM...i think he falls off cliff. He is entering uncharted territory in minutes played by a wing player.

That said i think he will be third on the all-time scoring list, just behind Malone, when he retires. Of course, he will also be top 10 in assists and maybe number 1 in playoff scoring when he hangs them up. Dude is a beast!

I think Lebron will play lesser minutes and games as his career goes on, he's at a point in his career where he will sacrifice his stats (which are still MVP caliber) in order to win, he can afford to do that more playing with Kyrie. It sure helped that Kareem played with Magic from age 32 on. I could see Lebron leading the league in assists one year. Kareem's record won't ever be broken. Take a guess what the most impossible career record to catch in sports.

Reaction Score
I think Lebron will play lesser minutes and games as his career goes on, he's at a point in his career where he will sacrifice his stats (which are still MVP caliber) in order to win, he can afford to do that more playing with Kyrie. It sure helped that Kareem played with Magic from age 32 on. I could see Lebron leading the league in assists one year. Kareem's record won't ever be broken. Take a guess what the most impossible career record to catch in sports.

Agreed, but i can see him wantimg a 5th MVP which would tie him with Jordan and put him just one behind Kareem. If ao, he won't be able to conserve energy.

Cy Young's win total is the most unbreakable (least likely to be broken) record in major sports. Kareem's record isn't far behind. The most legitimate threat is KD, but i doubt he lasts long enough.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but i can see him wantimg a 5th MVP which would tie him with Jordan and put him just one behind Kareem. If ao, he won't be able to conserve energy.

Cy Young's win total is the most unbreakable (least likely to be broken) record in major sports. Kareem's record isn't far behind. The most legitimate threat is KD, but i doubt he lasts long enough.

Yep Cy Youngs 511 career wins its not likely anyone will get to 300 wins anymore.

Reaction Score
Let's say LeBron averages 25PPG this year in 70 remaining games. Then he plays 70 games per year going forward and his scoring average drops by 1ppg/year. IF he plays 8 more years (including this one) he tops Kareem in that 8th year. Do-able, maybe lower than 50% odds simply due to injury but doable.

Reaction Score
If his name was Kobe or Melo he would have a shot. But Lebron is too unselfish, plus he tends to surround himself with top teammates who themselves can score. I know Jabbar also had the cream of the crop teammates but he was fouled a lot, but tended to score a lot on putbacks (being around the basketball). In his prime his skyhook was simply unstoppable but I'm not certain of his percentage of use. He was hard to defend due to size and a lack of competition.

Just saying Lebron is 'too' team oriented to break an individual scoring record. I would love to see him go off in a game and get 70+ points, which he is capable of. Watching him play though that is unlikely because his first quarters appear to be attempting to get his team involved and not scoring focused.

Reaction Score
If his name was Kobe or Melo he would have a shot. But Lebron is too unselfish, plus he tends to surround himself with top teammates who themselves can score. I know Jabbar also had the cream of the crop teammates but he was fouled a lot, but tended to score a lot on putbacks (being around the basketball). In his prime his skyhook was simply unstoppable but I'm not certain of his percentage of use. He was hard to defend due to size and a lack of competition.

Just saying Lebron is 'too' team oriented to break an individual scoring record. I would love to see him go off in a game and get 70+ points, which he is capable of. Watching him play though that is unlikely because his first quarters appear to be attempting to get his team involved and not scoring focused.

He has a higher career scoring ave and career FG% than both Kobe and Melo. He is a better scorer than both of them. I just don't think he can last long enough. He isn't too unselfish. He just prefers making the smart basketball play over "hero ball".

Reaction Score
He has a higher career scoring ave and career FG% than both Kobe and Melo. He is a better scorer than both of them. I just don't think he can last long enough. He isn't too unselfish. He just prefers making the smart basketball play over "hero ball".
I think that's more correct. And though many of us suspect LeBron might not last long, to this point he's been an unbelievable iron horse AND his habits, training, diet etc.. are vastly superior to anyone that has come before him. So I honestly think if he wants to play another 8-10yrs ala say Tom Brady he can. And on the back end of that as he transitions into more of a point-power-forward versus primary ballhandler/distributor LeBron's scoring might actually increase. I.e. if Paul Pierce became a serviceable 12-15 ppg PF with the Nets and Wiz, LeBron can certainly put in 18-ish PPG when he is 38+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom