OT: Lawn Mower Parents: Who Knew | The Boneyard

OT: Lawn Mower Parents: Who Knew

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Teachers put up with so much. Coaches are teachers. I saw this and thought of the Tenn dismissal of Anastasia Hayes.

'Lawn mower parents' are the new 'helicopter moms'

"Move over, helicopter parents and tiger moms — a whole new breed of terrifying moms and dads has arrived, just in time for the new school year: the "lawn mower parent."

In recent weeks, the so-called phenomenon of such parents has gone viral on Facebook after an anonymous middle school teacher shared the tale of a supposed run-in with a real-life “lawn mower dad” to educator blog WeAreTeachers."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NYC is such a microcosm of the world. This is no different from what I've been saying for the last 20 years about the poor parenting habits I've been seeing. I've frequently complained that a person needs a license to sell hotdogs on the street, but any idiot with gentiles gets to have a child, and trust me I've seen a lot of idiots. It starts when they're toddlers. I've seen so many bad parents refuse to tell their child no to anything, and they think it's fine to negotiate with a 2 year old. A person needs to learn from their mistakes. As an adult the world tells me no a thousand times a day in a thousand different ways. The seeds of our future successes are planted in the soil of yesterdays failures, and fertilized by every no we've ever heard.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
NYC is such a microcosm of the world. This is no different from what I've been saying for the last 20 years about the poor parenting habits I've been seeing. I've frequently complained that a person needs a license to sell hotdogs on the street, but any idiot with gentiles gets to have a child, and trust me I've seen a lot of idiots. It starts when they're toddlers. I've seen so many bad parents refuse to tell their child no to anything, and they think it's fine to negotiate with a 2 year old. A person needs to learn from their mistakes. As an adult the world tells me no a thousand times a day in a thousand different ways. The seeds of our future successes are planted in the soil of yesterdays failures, and fertilized by every no we've ever heard.

Wow, I'm really impressed by the entire post but the last line is off the charts. Can I buy you a drink, maybe some 30-year-old Scotch? :D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it starts with the How DO I Make Her/HIM Stop Crying syndrome of new parents ...well, is your kid at least as smart as a puppy? Don't pick her/him up! Clean diaper? Check. No fever? Check. Walk away.

giphy.gif

She's part of the problem. meaning: hysterical mom syndrome; who this particular late night quenn is I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not a huge fan of the periodic article saying "hey parents, you are doing it wrong" that seems to reoccurring thing recently. That said, I sort of agree with it.

Failure is viewed all to frequently viewed as a dirty word these days and some parents seem to go out of their way to avoid acknowledging kids failures. Failure is life's great teacher. We all fail. Then we adjust and go on to succeed. It takes some falls riding a bike before you get it right.

I've posted a few times on the BY that Scouting, when done well, can fill this role for kids. Scouting gives kids responsibilities and let's them figure out how to handle them. Over pack for a hike? You will be pretty tired. (The trick here is to expose new backpackers to the process on shorter more manageable hikes, so that the lesson is manageable, not overwhelming.) Can't get your patrol together for meetings? How did you reach out to them, just texts? Okay what else could you try? If you take away the failure you also take away the satisfaction and self-confidence that comes from having the ability to solve problems.

The idea is to allow failure, without stigma. After all the surest way to avoid failure is not to try, right? Innovators fail; creators fail. Failure is just a step on the road to success.

[end old guy sermonizing.]

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nothing new in this article. I spent 33 years in public school education as a band director. Retired a few years ago but I still hear the "horror" stories from one of our daughter-in-laws who teaches kindergarten. Its the same behavior with a different title. The article is correct in that parents are doing the child a very large disservice by "bailing them out" when the make a mistake. Fortunately, I worked in a middle school that nip thia type of behavior in the bud.

I also agree with CL82 about Scouting. I was an adult leader for 30 years. Yup, I stayed on after the boys were out. I was having way too much fun! The Boy Scout program teaches the valuable lessons of self-reliance, teamwork, planning, communications and perseverance. I still remind parents that A Boy Scout troop is a boy run organization. The boys elect their leaders, plan their events, organize their meetings and run their meetings.

The phrase today's parent need to learn is "the only time you fail is when you don't try." Not meeting your goal is not failure. Lessons were learned along the way. Its part of the process. I always taught my Scouts and students to look back and see what happened. Given time and support, they figured out what happened and why things didn't work out. Then you pick them up, dust them off and send them out to go for again.

Reaction Score
Teachers put up with so much. Coaches are teachers. I saw this and thought of the Tenn dismissal of Anastasia Hayes.

'Lawn mower parents' are the new 'helicopter moms'

"Move over, helicopter parents and tiger moms — a whole new breed of terrifying moms and dads has arrived, just in time for the new school year: the "lawn mower parent."

In recent weeks, the so-called phenomenon of such parents has gone viral on Facebook after an anonymous middle school teacher shared the tale of a supposed run-in with a real-life “lawn mower dad” to educator blog WeAreTeachers."
As one who has experienced all 3 sides of the teaching podium. At times we tend to paint parents with a broad brush. I suggest 2 Roosevelts whom if alive today may have been considered "lawn mowers". Certainly FDR's Mom may have laid and rolled the asphalt to smooth his road. The boys went to man pretty well.
3 sides think about it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As one who has experienced all 3 sides of the teaching podium. At times we tend to paint parents with a broad brush. I suggest 2 Roosevelts whom if alive today may have been considered "lawn mowers". Certainly FDR's Mom may have laid and rolled the asphalt to smooth his road. The boys went to man pretty well.
3 sides think about it.

I bet you kill a lot of good rants before they get rolling, killjoy! ;)

Reaction Score
I bet you kill a lot of good rants before they get rolling, killjoy! ;)
Typically I rant with you on this subject and I must remember that with 10,000,000 lawn mowers all I could come up with is 2 very wealthy kids.
I beg your pardon. The third is the kids that sue or bring in an attorney; saw that at UALR once and only once. They believed they were failing and wanted to cut it off at the pass. They shall never believe they would have passed without the attorney.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think it starts with the How DO I Make Her/HIM Stop Crying syndrome of new parents ...well, is your kid at least as smart as a puppy? Don't pick her/him up! Clean diaper? Check. No fever? Check. Walk away.

View attachment 34504

She's part of the problem. meaning: hysterical mom syndrome; who this particular late night quenn is I haven't a clue.
Jennifer Lawrence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom