OT - Lance Kiffin to Bama as OC | The Boneyard

OT - Lance Kiffin to Bama as OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No schit...

AlabamaFTBL5:38pm via Web
Alabama football has hired Lane Kiffin to be its next offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. #RollTide

finebaum5:18pm via Web
Alabama at Tennessee Oct. 25 should be interesting. Wonder what security will be like at Neyland Stadium.

wildcatnews5:27pm via Web
If you had bet $100 year ago today Strong would be Texas HC, Petrino would be UL HC & Kiffin would be Bama OC today, how rich would you be?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lance Kiffin? Is he half as big a d^ck as Lane Kiffin?

Dammit - that's two dumb mistakes today.:oops:

fail2.jpg

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
He'll be successful there, he's a great OC.

Prove it. The guy is a joke. His good offenses were thanks to Sarkisian. His offenses were terrible in Oakland, nothing special at Tennesseee, and he ruined Matt Barkley in his second go at USC. Why is he a great OC?

As an LSU fan, I love, and LOL at this hire. He is also still dirty as sh%t as a recruiter.

Reaction Score
Prove it. The guy is a joke. His good offenses were thanks to Sarkisian. His offenses were terrible in Oakland, nothing special at Tennesseee, and he ruined Matt Barkley in his second go at USC. Why is he a great OC?

As an LSU fan, I love, and LOL at this hire. He is also still dirty as sh%t as a recruiter.

Prove it? Lol He maybe was a okay HC, but he was most definitely a great position coach and coordinator. Men lie, numbers don't.

"For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving."

"In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl."

"Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator, an 88% win percentage; however, in June 2010 the NCAA retroactively declared Reggie Bushineligible for the entire 2005 season, and forced USC to vacate all of its 2005 wins. Litigation from former coach Todd McNair to overturn those vacancies is still ongoing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Again, he was a great position coach and coordinator. And to be honest, I don't think he was that bad of a HC. Look at the raiders for example, they haven't been a great team since 2001 when Callahan took the team to the playoffs. Since then the Raiders hired "5" different coaches and Lane Kiffin was one of those 5 coaches. That goes to show that the Raiders is a tough place to win at. Also, Lane Kiffin was only 31 years old when he was hired as the Raiders HC. The youngest HC in NFL history, and that was his first HCing job, so I wasn't surprised that he wasn't successful there. At Tennessee Kiffin's team went 7-6 after phillip fulmers team went 5-7 the year before. "Kiffin led the Vols to a 7–6 record in 2009, an improvement from their 5–7 record in 2008. The Vols increased their offensive output by more than 60 percent in 2009 with Kiffin calling the offensive plays.[23] Highlights included wins over South Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky. However the season was marred by losses to UCLA, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss, as well as a 23 point blow-out loss to Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. After one season as coach, Kiffin left the Vols during the 2010 recruiting season to accept the head coaching job at the University of Southern California."

Kiffins 2011 team went 8-5 and the 2012 team went 12-2 in a league that host Oregon, Stanford, and Washington.

So to say he's a joke is ridiculous, but I guess you're entitled to your own opinion. Once again, numbers don't lie. You can say all you want but he is a great coach. He may not be a perfect human being as you may think you are, but he is a great coach.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Prove it? Lol He maybe was a okay HC, but he was most definitely a great position coach and coordinator. Men lie, numbers don't.

"For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving."

"In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 passer rating, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl."

"Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator, an 88% win percentage; however, in June 2010 the NCAA retroactively declared Reggie Bushineligible for the entire 2005 season, and forced USC to vacate all of its 2005 wins. Litigation from former coach Todd McNair to overturn those vacancies is still ongoing."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Again, he was a great position coach and coordinator. And to be honest, I don't think he was that bad of a HC. Look at the raiders for example, they haven't been a great team since 2001 when Callahan took the team to the playoffs. Since then the Raiders hired "5" different coaches and Lane Kiffin was one of those 5 coaches. That goes to show that the Raiders is a tough place to win at. Also, Lane Kiffin was only 31 years old when he was hired as the Raiders HC. The youngest HC in NFL history, and that was his first HCing job, so I wasn't surprised that he wasn't successful there. At Tennessee Kiffin's team went 7-6 after phillip fulmers team went 5-7 the year before. "Kiffin led the Vols to a 7–6 record in 2009, an improvement from their 5–7 record in 2008. The Vols increased their offensive output by more than 60 percent in 2009 with Kiffin calling the offensive plays.[23] Highlights included wins over South Carolina, Georgia and Kentucky. However the season was marred by losses to UCLA, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Ole Miss, as well as a 23 point blow-out loss to Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-A Bowl. After one season as coach, Kiffin left the Vols during the 2010 recruiting season to accept the head coaching job at the University of Southern California."

Kiffins 2011 team went 8-5 and the 2012 team went 12-2 in a league that host Oregon, Stanford, and Washington.

So to say he's a joke is ridiculous, but I guess you're entitled to your own opinion. Once again, numbers don't lie. You can say all you want but he is a great coach. He may not be a perfect human being as you may think you are, but he is a great coach.

WtF? Are you related to the guy or something? Nice personal attack to a countering opinion. That was a pretty jerky comment. Again, The only good offensive stats you are showing are for the USC team that featured numerous first round picks and just flat outclassed people talent-wise. You say he is a "great coach". You are the only person I have ever seen that had that opinion (other than Lane himself).

I didn't say anything about him as a recruiting coordinator, but I'll add that he has had sanctions hit every school he has been at. Probably not too hard to recruit when you cheat your arse off.

Reaction Score
WtF? Are you related to the guy or something? Nice personal attack to a countering opinion. That was a pretty jerky comment. Again, The only good offensive stats you are showing are for the USC team that featured numerous first round picks and just flat outclassed people talent-wise. You say he is a "great coach". You are the only person I have ever seen that had that opinion (other than Lane himself).

I didn't say anything about him as a recruiting coordinator, but I'll add that he has had sanctions hit every school he has been at. Probably not too hard to recruit when you cheat your arse off.

He played a pivotal role in putting those featured numerous first round picks in the right places for them to succeed. He was there coach and coached them up he did. He is a great coach. He might of made some dumb decisions in his coaching career, but who doesn't? we all do. When it comes to recruiting in the NCAA, little team plays fair.

Reaction Score
Kiffin was a good OC for Pete Carroll. What this hire means is that Saban wants to get a little aggressive and modern offensively. Plus Nussmeier left him at a time of the year where pickings are slim.

Reaction Score
Kiffin will excel at Bama. He is a terrific OC and Pete Carroll has said as much in the past.

He is not the guy to run a program or team, however.

And you in no way can take what went on in Oakland and say it was Kiffin. Yes he had his hand in things but that franchise was a trainwreck before he got there and they are still not in the greatest position.

Al Davis was a cancer in his old age. He destroyed that franchise.

Reaction Score
Kiffin will excel at Bama. He is a terrific OC and Pete Carroll has said as much in the past.

He is not the guy to run a program or team, however.

And you in no way can take what went on in Oakland and say it was Kiffin. Yes he had his hand in things but that franchise was a trainwreck before he got there and they are still not in the greatest position.

Al Davis was a cancer in his old age. He destroyed that franchise.

Lane Kiffin is the poster child for nepotism within the good ole boys coaching ranks. He did ok (not great) as a coordinator/position coach when he had top flight talent.

He became well known because of his gery at every stop he made. He became the flashy name. The "big splash" hire.

Anyone who thinks this guy is some great coach or offensive genius......see USC, 2013. Ed Orgeron, who can't even get a HC job, was able to turn around that train wreck left by Kiffin in mid season.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This hire is a mystery to me. Kiffin seems like he isn't a good person...and he doesn't have the great success like Petrino has to overcome his personality and ethical flaws. Yet..he still keeps getting high profile jobs. I am not sure what I am missing.

But....Saban is no idiot. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
It is Saban's show. Should work out fine if LK is kept in his box.

Reaction Score
GreggDoyelCBS6:54am via TweetDeck
Saban on Lane Kiffin: "All his issues come from something we're not asking him to do." -cbsprt.co/KfCFGu

>>“I've known him for a long time,” Saban said after speaking to approximately 4,000 coaches during an hour-long session. “I always thought he was a really good coach. All his issues come from something we're not asking him to do.”<<

Another comment within: >>The coaches chuckled when Saban told them, “I don't know if you've been to LSU but you can smell the bourbon on the 50-yard line.”<< Ha!

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
GreggDoyelCBS6:54am via TweetDeck
Saban on Lane Kiffin: "All his issues come from something we're not asking him to do." -cbsprt.co/KfCFGu

>>“I've known him for a long time,” Saban said after speaking to approximately 4,000 coaches during an hour-long session. “I always thought he was a really good coach. All his issues come from something we're not asking him to do.”<<

Another comment within: >>The coaches chuckled when Saban told them, “I don't know if you've been to LSU but you can smell the bourbon on the 50-yard line.”<< Ha!

That part is bullspit. Saban didn't say anything like that. Mike Archer (former LSU coach in the 80s) made the quote, "The difference between a day game and a night game in Tiger Stadium is that, at night, you can smell the bourbon on the field". Shows you the integrity of that reporter to try and credit that to Saban. I cannot imagine Saban would even comment on something about LSU's stadium as he HATEs that kind of stuff (or noise).

Reaction Score
That part is bullspit. Saban didn't say anything like that. Mike Archer (former LSU coach in the 80s) made the quote, "The difference between a day game and a night game in Tiger Stadium is that, at night, you can smell the bourbon on the field". Shows you the integrity of that reporter to try and credit that to Saban. I cannot imagine Saban would even comment on something about LSU's stadium as he HATEs that kind of stuff (or noise).

If you say so... I wasn't there:

Saturday Down South ‏@SDS13 Jan
Nick Saban at coaches' convention: "If you've ever been to Tiger Stadium on a Saturday night you can smell the Bourbon at the 50 yard line."

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/01/nick_saban_speech_to_coaches_t.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom