OT: Kitchen Cabinets 15 minute thread | The Boneyard

OT: Kitchen Cabinets 15 minute thread

Reaction Score
Kitchen remodel, Custom vs RTA

Anyone have a good experience with RTA.? Not planning on staying longer than 4 to 5 years.

Reaction Score
Ready to assemble or PreAssembled?

There are not a lot of stock built cabinets that I'm aware of. I would prefer preassembled, but I'm afraid of particle board

Basic shaker door style

People have suggested Ikea, they're made of mdf board, not plywood

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
1590361757792.png

Buy this.

Reaction Score
There are not a lot of stock built cabinets that I'm aware of. I would prefer preassembled, but I'm afraid of particle board

Basic shaker door style

People have suggested Ikea, they're made of mdf board, not plywood

most cabinets are mdf even outside of IKEA. And after having an IKEA kitchen for 3 years I can say that the only difference between them and name brand is about $5,000-8,000 for a full kitchen remodel. Our IKEA quote was still 5,000 less than any quote we received and the IKEA quote was with ALL appliances (double oven, nice French door fridge, cook top, hood exhaust, dishwasher, etc).

the cabinet companies of the world like to sell you that the material is cheap MDF crap, but in reality so is 90% of what they sell. Except at a considerable markup.

An owners 2 cents.

Reaction Score
most cabinets are mdf even outside of IKEA. And after having an IKEA kitchen for 3 years I can say that the only difference between them and name brand is about $5,000-8,000 for a full kitchen remodel. Our IKEA quote was still 5,000 less than any quote we received and the IKEA quote was with ALL appliances (double oven, nice French door fridge, cook top, hood exhaust, dishwasher, etc).

the cabinet companies of the world like to sell you that the material is cheap MDF crap, but in reality so is 90% of what they sell. Except at a considerable markup.

An owners 2 cents.

Very good stuff, all this info is going a long way to helpi me make a good choice, thanks again

Reaction Score
Very good stuff, all this info is going a long way to helpi me make a good choice, thanks again

No Problem. And if you do decide to do IKEA, keep an eye out.. they have seasonal sales where you get 15% off. So keep an eye out for those, and pending on your proximity to an IKEA store delivery for everything is typically $19-$79. No idea how they came up with those prices, but our delivery charge was $19 and it took some convincing and a few 20's for them to bring it inside because the total pallet weight was something ridiculous like 2 tons (appliances and all).

They also have a tool to design and price things out that is helpful: Interactive Kitchen Planner

Reaction Score
I personally would be VERY hesitant to buy mdf cabinet boxes, unless cost is your only driver Im not a pro but have installed several kitchens. Kitchens involve water which is not a friend to mdf. U can pay a small up charge for 100% plywood cabinets at most big box stores or cabinet shops. I believe there was a thread here a while back and some folks said they got custom for same price or less than big box. Worth a quick look

Even if u r only planning to stay for a few years it could negatively impact resale price IMO

Good luck

Reaction Score
Shop around and go to kitchen/ bath show rooms. Find something that fits your budget and what your looking for. Whether its kraftmaid or a less expensive all wood cabinet like fabuwood/new fortune. IKEA isn't bad but obviously lower end. You start to see how drawers close and doors hang after a few years

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Avoid Express Kitchens like the plague. Kings of the bait and switch including appliances w/ rebates via ReEnergize CT, which should be examined by the state...

Reaction Score
Absolutely do not buy MDF for any thing that can get wet or near moisture.... its cardboard soaked in resin for strength and will swell instantly when exposed to moisture. And then the screws or nail or glue or what reverse is holding it together will fail. Most furniture is mdf covered in veneer, laminate or vinyl which is fine for rooms other than the kitchen and bathroom.

MrP

Reaction Score
When we did built-ins beside our fireplace we used www.cabinets.com - pretty decent plywood cabinets, and easy to assemble. Pretty sure they have a range of quality options as well as door styles, colors, finishes, etc.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Redid my kitchen of the house I sold last year with plywood bases and maple doors. I used Chung Hua Stone Kitchen and the quality was very good and assembly was not too bad.

The price we got was beyond amazing from the person we ordered through, but he disappeared after the job and left me with a ton of extra cabinets, that I have since sold or left behind to the homeowner that purchased the house. I get the feeling my cabinets "fell off a truck" because even with the extras we had the pricing was well below any other quote we got.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this thread at all. Is its primary purpose to cause my wife to be interested in what people are discussing when she sees I'm on the Boneyard?

Reaction Score
I don't understand this thread at all. Is its primary purpose to cause my wife to be interested in what people are discussing when she sees I'm on the Boneyard?

Yes. Does she have an opinion on plywood vs MDF cabinets?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom