OT Kids golf clubs | The Boneyard

OT Kids golf clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My grandson will be six soon and wants to start golfing with me.
I play Cleveland irons and Taylor Made woods.

I'm temped to get a name brand, but if he doesn't enjoy the experience it would be money wasted.
Does anyone have experience with off brands.
If they do ,could that make a recommendation?

Reaction Score
I sent my daughter to golf camp and when registering, I was able to purchase a set of clubs through the camp.

It was a watered down set but enough for her to get started.

The golf clubs were from: http://www.uskidsgolf.com/

Reaction Score
Zen is right. US Kids Golf makes really decent stuff.
You can usually find it on sale....or I have anyways. I got my son individual clubs on sale for $10 per club.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I'm temped to get a name brand, but if he doesn't enjoy the experience it would be money wasted.
I started golfing when I was 5. At that age, the quality of the clubs makes no difference. He isn't going to be getting an extra 15 yards on his drives with a titanium head and graphite shaft. He's also not going to notice the difference between a driver and a 9 iron really. The most important thing is to teach him a good swing and let him knock the ball around some. You could probably find something on craigslist that will be fine. Oh - and if he's a typical kid, those clubs will also be used to fence with, clobber bugs, and hitting baseballs. There's no reason to get quality clubs until he's old enough to appreciate the difference. You will know when that is - he'll tell you.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My son got my fathers old clubs, cut them down and put grips on them. Let my grandson play around on these with plastic balls. My father did same thing for my son, worked with him and bought him his own clubs when he turned 9 - my son is now basically a scratch golfer. My daughter was playing with the cut down clubs at about 10 but was a tremendous soccer player. She returned to using them at 13 and then I bought her some second hand womens clubs. Never played competitive golf but played high school golf her freshman year and won the state open for her class that year!~golf pro said the weight of the cut down clubs helped her develop good mechanics - she never really tackled the game much after- played soccer in college.
me? I am the worlds worse golfer!!!

Reaction Score
ibleedhuskyblue said:
Zen is right. US Kids Golf makes really decent stuff. You can usually find it on sale....or I have anyways. I got my son individual clubs on sale for $10 per club.

This. Fit is all that matters. Go to dicks or wherever and get these. Easiest way.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all your great reply's
Sounds like I pick up a few clubs now.
When and if he is ready I go up to Ping and have my old clubs cut down while I get fitted for my new ones.
I will explain to my wife that I will sacrifice my old clubs for our grandson.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
When and if he is ready I go up to Ping and have my old clubs cut down while I get fitted for my new ones.

We bought a really basic set at Target a few years ago for our son who is now six. At the time they were too big for him but now they are perfect. The typical "basic" set you get for kids will have a wood, a 5/6 iron, a 9/P wedge and a putter. They really don't need any more than that for a while.

The only real thing to balance is the length / size. Too big and it's too difficult to make contact for the kid. Too small and they outgrow them too quickly and you have to buy more too soon.

Reaction Score

http://www.tgw.com/customer/category/product.jsp/SUBCATEGORY_ID/42691/refScid/1040/sattr0/Model/sattrVal0/Ages 9-12

If you think he's going to grow fast buy the 9-12 clubs………or if he's a bit bigger already but Tour Edge is a nice product and 140 bucks isn't bad at all…….you get everything you need for the age group! If you go to "Junior Clubs" @ TGW.com there are Callaway and Nike brands also…….

Reaction Score
Chris Cote's Golf is the only place I shop. Don't waste your time with Dicks or Warehouse.

Reaction Score
Cote's is great, but I think you should contact Ping directly. See what programs are available. I understand that they will sell clubs by the piece and adjust them each year for a nominal charge and will eventually allow you to add clubs to build a set.

Although I play Mizuno now, I had Eye2s that I sent back before giving them to my oldest son. They changed the lies, tumbled the heads and repainted the dots and re-gripped the set for like $60 including shipping. Great company that understands that they have a chance to grow a Ping player.

Reaction Score
Chris Cote's Golf is the only place I shop. Don't waste your time with Dicks or Warehouse.

Played Portland GC yesterday and went to the new store for the first time - Chris and his team are the best.

Reaction Score
Will your wife give you the allowance to do that?

Reaction Score
Played Portland GC yesterday and went to the new store for the first time - Chris and his team are the best.

+1 for Chris and team. Couldn't be happier with their service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom