OT: Khalid El-Amin Gotcha | The Boneyard

OT: Khalid El-Amin Gotcha

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1551820593432.png

An ironic (?) thing happened on the way from the celebration. You may recall our hero, and it was heroic, got busted in Hartford for something street crime related the following summer after our Huskies shocked the world. That's about the time I said out of here for the men's team.

"Former UConn basketball player Khalid El-Amin spent Sunday night and much of Monday at the Hartford Correctional Facility after he was taken into custody for failure to pay child support, the Hartford Courant reported.

El-Amin, who lives in the Minneapolis area, owed about $126,000 in delinquent child support to a Hartford area woman whom he had a child with 18 years ago. He was released Monday afternoon after paying $10,000 and promising to follow a payment schedule of $780 per month, the Courant reported.

He was taken into custody after failing to appear at two court dates.
The 39-year-old El-Amin was in the area for the 20th anniversary celebration of UConn’s 1999 national title. El-Amin was the face of the team that won the Huskies’ first NCAA title that season, an immensely popular player and the leader of the team."

Former UConn star Khalid El-Amin released from custody after agreeing to pay child support to Hartford area woman

Reaction Score
View attachment 40549

An ironic (?) thing happened on the way from the celebration. You may recall our hero, and it was heroic, got busted in Hartford for something street crime related the following summer after our Huskies shocked the world. That's about the time I said out of here for the men's team.

"Former UConn basketball player Khalid El-Amin spent Sunday night and much of Monday at the Hartford Correctional Facility after he was taken into custody for failure to pay child support, the Hartford Courant reported.

El-Amin, who lives in the Minneapolis area, owed about $126,000 in delinquent child support to a Hartford area woman whom he had a child with 18 years ago. He was released Monday afternoon after paying $10,000 and promising to follow a payment schedule of $780 per month, the Courant reported.

He was taken into custody after failing to appear at two court dates.
The 39-year-old El-Amin was in the area for the 20th anniversary celebration of UConn’s 1999 national title. El-Amin was the face of the team that won the Huskies’ first NCAA title that season, an immensely popular player and the leader of the team."

Former UConn star Khalid El-Amin released from custody after agreeing to pay child support to Hartford area woman

He has had other problems; HIS MOST FAMOUS AND LOUDEST STATEMENT FROM A-TOP OF THE SCORERS TABLE-----WE SHOCKED THE WORLD . No truer words were ever spoken, He, Rip, Moore, did what the MBB world thought impossible. BEAT DUKE.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I started out as an avid fan of UConn men's basketball. A couple of years later I started watching the women play. El Amin was one of the reasons I gave up on the men.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I started out as an avid fan of UConn men's basketball. A couple of years later I started watching the women play. El Amin was one of the reasons I gave up on the men.
Really? Why?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
How is this ironic? Coincidental it is. Ironic it is not.

Ironic

1. using words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning; containing or exemplifying irony: an ironic novel; an ironic remark.

2.of, relating to, or tending to use irony or mockery; ironical.

3. coincidental; unexpected: It was ironic that I was seated next to my ex-husband at the dinner.

Get an award or recognition. Go to jail. coincidental and certainly unexpected.

I'll stick to my word. Often wrong @tomcat, but never in doubt. Def. #2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. If you go to a dictionary of common usage, like Dictionary.com, which you did, the two are considered interchangeable., Interestingly enough, I checked that source and found that one of their definitions of "disinterested" is "uninterested." Which is absolutely not the definition of disinterested.

When I went to Merriam Webster.com I found neither of these secondary definitions.

What that tells me is that dictionary.com is willing to let common (though incorrect) definitions slide into the language. As if somehow, by saying something often enough, we've changed its definition.

Sorry, but we'll have to disagree on this one.

Reaction Score
I loved watching El Amin play.

But I agree that men's college BB is pretty much unwatchable anymore. The best players are one-and-done, so there's no year-to-year continuity on the teams that land the top players. Good coaches leave schools almost as quickly as one-and-done players do, trying to jump up the salary ladder. Coaches' salaries have risen to almost unmaintainable levels. Offenses have degenerated into creators and shooters only. Assists are increasingly rare. Refereeing is inconsistent and poorly monitored.

While WCBB is on the rise, MCBB isn't.

Reaction Score
Man Khalid was the fuel to the fire for this group. He brought the energy back in those days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom