OT: KFC outdoes Arby's? | The Boneyard

OT: KFC outdoes Arby's?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Slow week with no games and it IS holiday season, so it seem apropos.

I hate to say it. And I cant give them a nod over Arby's on the food front (although the Double Down is delightful top 5 sandwich ever created)...............

but this is straight up killing it on outside the box thinking. I know I will be burning one on XMAS day for a cozy family gift opening experience, at least until Arby's comes up with a Pork belly log.

Fire Log - KFC.com

featured-firelog-2bdce732a193b0510c8c42a6824674f54263e61410e7bdd1f9d60b27ea2ce43d.png

Reaction Score
Love the “disclaimers”:
  • May result in a craving for fried chicken. We know the fire log smells great, but please do not attempt to eat it.
  • May attract bears or neighbors who are hungry.
  • Please don’t put face directly into fire in attempt to smell fried chicken.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Love the “disclaimers”:
  • May result in a craving for fried chicken. We know the fire log smells great, but please do not attempt to eat it.

Lawyers legit made them throw that last one in.

Reaction Score
Just ordered a few to several friends' houses as a joke. Annoying that you can't put a gift message on it.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
  • DO NOT LICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the inevitable brand extensions if the logs are a success...

- "The Colonel" cologne/perfume
- Airwick/Glade/Febreze
- Yankee Candle
- Massengill (possibly sold with a drumstick-shaped dildo).

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
- Airwick/Glade/Febreze
- Yankee Candle
- Kemba Walker

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the inevitable brand extensions if the logs are a success...

Not the worst idea I've ever heard....

Reaction Score
- Airwick/Glade/Febreze
- Yankee Candle
- Kemba Walker

Better than all of those. They come out with these promotions periodically. They had KFC Sunscreen! Imagine smelling that next to you on the beach. It could go either way... it makes a hot person (don't want to pick sides) hotter, or a gross one grosser.

KFC's Extra Crispy Sunscreen

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Better than all of those. They come out with these promotions periodically. They had KFC Sunscreen! Imagine smelling that next to you on the beach. It could go either way... it makes a hot person (don't want to pick sides) hotter, or a gross one grosser.

KFC's Extra Crispy Sunscreen

I'd argue is makes a hot person grosser and a gross person puke-worthy.

And I don't understand the "Kemba Walker" addition. Is that to imply a forthcoming chicken-scented Kemba doll? Does Dove know what an actual "brand extension" is?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If I want to smell deep fryer grease, I can just go to the XL Center.

Not all Fryer grease smells the same.

KFC grease smells way better.

XL doesnt change theirs often enough and doesnt filter it right. and it breaks down. Nasty.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

XL doesnt change theirs often enough and doesnt filter it right. and it breaks down. Nasty.
Actually KFC is a guilty pleasure. I do it rarely, but I do enjoy it it. Popeye's isn't bad either.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Actually KFC is a guilty pleasure. I do it rarely, but I do enjoy it it. Popeye's isn't bad either.

KFC done right by a place that cares and serves it Fresh (I guess like Arbys or really any restaurant for that matter its about the care behind it ) is actually excellent chicken.

Little known Adub fact. I was a cook at a KFC in high school (my first job!) and was made assistant Mgr when I was a senior and then stayed as one when I started College (they transferred me from Avon to Vernon to accommodate my time in Storrs which was very shortlived the first time around though..... :- )

I have NONE around me so I have it very infrequently. But I know they changed some of the techniques used compared to the 80's when I was working there as I accosted the Manager in Middletown out of curiosity a few years ago about how they cook now. The Extra Crispy pretty much same techniques( flour,wash, flour, basket shake) Fry in an Open fryer, but they dont brine on site like we used to. Original recipe is pretty different now with the auto browning pressure fryers. Used to be manual. Whereas Extra Crispy would come out the same every time, on manual pressure Fryers the Original recipe was an art form. It was breaded once, You could screw it up easily if you didnt brown long enough (or too long) before shutting it into Pressure, and when it was done if you manually let off the pressure too fast it would blow the skin off the chicken. All that is automated now. But when old manual way was done right it was at another level than the current method.

We used to take religious care of the oil. Run it through filtering a couple times a day and totally change out very frequently ( only good for X amount of "heads of chicken" a head = 9 pieces)

Might have been my favorite non career job! I actually enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
Inspired by this thread, I had this tonight:

KFC_Chicken_Waffles_Sandwich_1440x810-7288f90e0cf4f358a6792f46b7246d6868602b042732f1d29512080501df4f68.jpg

Gotta say, it was pretty tasty. So far no ill effects @JMick.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Inspired by this thread, I had this tonight:

KFC_Chicken_Waffles_Sandwich_1440x810-7288f90e0cf4f358a6792f46b7246d6868602b042732f1d29512080501df4f68.jpg

Gotta say, it was pretty tasty. So far no ill effects @JMick.

I’m tempted but that’s gotta be at least
1500 calories. Did it come with a Surgeon Generals warning on the wrapper?

Reaction Score
Slow week with no games and it IS holiday season, so it seem apropos.

I hate to say it. And I cant give them a nod over Arby's on the food front (although the Double Down is delightful top 5 sandwich ever created).....

August you should really be listening to the Doughboys podcast if you don't already. Endless hours of a couple of idiot comedians talking earnestly about chain restaurants, many of them fast food

HeadGum // Doughboys

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

As a former DQ fry cook/custodian in HS I can attest. I cleaned the fryer grease several times a shift. You leave all the bits of chicken coating and little pieces of fries and onion rings in there and they burn and stink. If your fries come out brownish, you oil is past the point where it needs to be cleaned.

Reaction Score
Had some KFC the other night for the first time in about two years. Meh on the chicken as it was oily and salty asf! Still enjoyed the mashed potatoes and gravy but my favorite is their Cole slaw. Don't know what it is but its the one Cole slow I really enjoy.

Reaction Score
Had some KFC the other night for the first time in about two years. Meh on the chicken as it was oily and salty asf! Still enjoyed the mashed potatoes and gravy but my favorite is their Cole slaw. Don't know what it is but its the one Cole slow I really enjoy.
We sometimes stop there and just buy the slaw for dinners at home.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Don't they just load it with sugar? Haven't had it in years while but the main thing I remember is the sweetness.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom