OT: Key West............................ | The Boneyard

OT: Key West............................

ABachelor6CR

Time Traveler
Reaction Score
The wife and I are going to Key West and would like to know where to stay. We want to stay close a beach, doesn't have ON the beach, just close to one. I know hotel prices are high but something between 200 to 350 (cheaper in better, lol) Any suggestions??

Reaction Score
The Coconut Beach Resort. Small sandy beach, swimming pool, Jacuzzi and not far from to the Southernmost Point of the Continent. But a bit of a walk to town. Nice rooms. Many with great views. Shared, common balcony. Do not remember the exact rate, but believe it was $300 and change for a one bedroom suite with kitchen. Price likely varies greatly based on time of year.

Reaction Score
Wife and I stayed at the Hyatt which was nice, but not overly so...bad news is that Key West really isn't famous for beaches, Smathers Beach might be the best, though I can't say we saw all of them, and frankly Smathers isn't that great if you're really into the beach. Good news is that the island is so small you're never that far from a beach, but traffic and especially parking can be a nightmare, so give some thought to a scooter/moped rental. We went for a wedding and another couple stayed at a really charming little B&B that included private bungalows around a small pool. Not sure if I have the right name, but I think it might have been Heron House. There are a lot of similar types of B&B and they are worth checking out. One thing that we did that you might want to consider is taking a sunset cruise off Sunset Key. And be sure to check out Mallory Square in the evening.

Reaction Score
Key West beaches are generally lousy. If you are in Key West for a few days, spend one of them driving maybe a half hour back toward the mainland (just try driving in the other direction LOL) and go to Bahia Honda beach, my favorite in the whole world. Unspoiled and a very special place. Be sure to get there early enough because parking is somewhat limited. Anyway, a place where I've never stayed but admired was the Banyan Inn. It's near Truman Annex, not on the water, but just a beautiful looking place. I've also heard fine things about the Coconut Beach. For something less expensive but kind of unusual, there is the Angelina Guest House, which used to be the town's whorehouse. It's a trip.

Another place we liked (though it's gotten awfully pricey) is the Eden House, which is a hotel. Nice facilities. Tough parking situation. I think Frodo has the right idea. If you'd like to stay in a b and b, go online to places that have access to many of them and see what they offer. Plenty of them available for your price range, and many are really, really nice.

If you like Cuban food, there's a touristy and expensive place at Mallory Square. We much prefer El Siboney, which is in a neighborhood and not fancy, but the food is wonderful. If you have any specific questions, I can try to answer. We've been to KW maybe 8 or 9 times and got married there. Not experts, but we know the town at least a little.

Reaction Score
We stayed a couple nights at the Casa Marina Resort one time. Very plush, luxurious room, great private beach (artificial, I'm sure), really nice pools, poolside bars. $350-400/ night, and worth it. Almost too perfect though. It's fairly close walking distance to downtown, but when you're in the compound you might as well be on any generic island or whatever - no "Key West" feel to it. While we were in Key West we found that we wanted to be downtown, out in the streets, doing stuff. We even commented that we wished we had stayed at this nice looking Best Western right downtown. Basically Key West is a party town. And there a few good museums - Hemmingway, treasure hunting, military. But you can't do any of that stuff holed up in an out-of-the-way luxury hotel with a private beach. Just my $.02

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
IMO the only decent beach in Key West is Patio Beach adjacent to Fort Zachary Taylor. A one time military only beach serving the Truman Annex housing area it has lots of sand and decent snorkeling. It's also walking distance to Duval St and Mallory Square.

Sadly, Key West just isn't what it used to be.

Reaction Score
Have you checked AirBnB.com ?

I'm a believer but, YMMV

The wife and I are going to Key West and would like to know where to stay. We want to stay close a beach, doesn't have ON the beach, just close to one. I know hotel prices are high but something between 200 to 350 (cheaper in better, lol) Any suggestions??

Reaction Score
I miss Key West's Hog's Breath Saloon. Where friends in Connecticut once watched me having a few too many on their computers via an outdoor bar cam. "Hog's Breath is better than no breath at all!" Good music.

1ac3642680eabb296e927b9df0338e26.jpg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
If you like tapas, try Santiago's Bodega on Petronia. Great place for sharing plates.

Reaction Score
IMO the only decent beach in Key West is Patio Beach adjacent to Fort Zachary Taylor. A one time military only beach serving the Truman Annex housing area it has lots of sand and decent snorkeling. It's also walking distance to Duval St and Mallory Square.

Sadly, Key West just isn't what it used to be.
You're right. We had gone to Fort Zachary Taylor's beach a long time ago and enjoyed it. The last time we went (admittedly several years ago) I guess a storm had pushed in all sorts of rocks and coral. You could hardly get in the water. Didn't know about Patio Beach, but Smathers Beach is mediocre at best. The other problem is that without exception, all the hotels are overpriced. To stay in a dump it costs $100, in a tiny B&B room at least $120, and this is NOT in season. I like the place, but I find myself less and less inclined to do it. I could spend maybe two terrific days and nights there. Beyond that, I'm ready to move on.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My favorite restaurant in Key West is Kelly's Caribbean Bar, Grill & Brewery - good beer, good food, relaxed atmosphere with a nice garden dining area that is fenced off from the street. It is a couple of short blocks from the major downtown area, on a quiet street. It is in the wood frame building where Pan American Airways got its start and it was owned (is?) by Kelly McGillis (Witness/Top Gun.)

Agree that I have never found a good beach there.

And agree that unless you are into drinking, Key West can become pretty boring, pretty quickly - a few days is great, and then you find yourself repeating the same things.

Reaction Score
And when the same thing is drinking, you may forget that you did it. Not necessarily a great idea, long-term.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Key West can become pretty boring, pretty quickly - a few days is great, and then you find yourself repeating the same things."

Agree if you are there as a tourist. Our last visit was in the mid 90s and we were so disappointed we decided to never return. I think the highway improvements and the cruisers have ruined it. I lived there in the early 70's and it was anything but boring. IMO the best fishing and diving in the US.

As for beaches - other than Patio Beach there is Bahia Honda just a few bridges up A1A. I'm assuming it still exists.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
"Key West can become pretty boring, pretty quickly - a few days is great, and then you find yourself repeating the same things."

Agree if you are there as a tourist. Our last visit was in the mid 90s and we were so disappointed we decided to never return. I think the highway improvements and the cruisers have ruined it. I lived there in the early 70's and it was anything but boring. IMO the best fishing and diving in the US.

As for beaches - other than Patio Beach there is Bahia Honda just a few bridges up A1A. I'm assuming it still exists.
Yes - I think living there changes everything (as with most places) as what you do becomes connected with all the people you know. But it is an island and a very small one at that so the variety of activity on land is quite limited.
And agree about the easier access changing the place - it used to be a sort of end of the earth destination, now people sometimes drive down and back in a day from Miami.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My favorite restaurant in Key West is Kelly's Caribbean Bar, Grill & Brewery - good beer, good food, relaxed atmosphere with a nice garden dining area that is fenced off from the street. It is a couple of short blocks from the major downtown area, on a quiet street. It is in the wood frame building where Pan American Airways got its start and it was owned (is?) by Kelly McGillis (Witness/Top Gun.)
At at Kelly's while we were there a couple years ago. Very good. A little pricey, but the garden area in back was very nice.

Like a place called Caroline's Cafe better. Right on Duval. Sat out in their patio watching people going up and down Duval. The best Key Lime pie we had anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom