OT: Kevin Willard "top target" to replace Buzz Williams at Va Tech | The Boneyard

OT: Kevin Willard "top target" to replace Buzz Williams at Va Tech

Reaction Score
Per Rothstein

I wonder if they'll make a push for Hurley to bring him home if he leaves? Alma mater in a basketball conference, back home in NJ...

(ok, I'm joking about that, just wanted to watch the BY burn but I couldn't do it).

Reaction Score
Hurley's buyout did just drop from $8M to $5M two days ago...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Which is only 3.3x Willard's salary. Seriously though, Seton Hall better throw more money at him. Not a very desirable job.

Hopefully Virginia Tech chooses Willard and not Cronin. It will likely be one of those two.

I actually think Seton Hall is a pretty desirable job. It's a great location for recruiting, they play in a modern and professional quality arena, and the Big East split worked out wonderfully for them to elevate their status/performance in the league.

Virginia Tech is what, the 10th best program in the ACC without much history and a predominantly football school/culture.

Obviously if they offer him $3M/year he's gone, as I don't think The Hall can match that, but I would be hesitant to leave his current situation; money being equal.

Reaction Score
Tech is gonna be a big rebuild too. Lotta seniors and grad transfers gone after this season, and losing best underclassman to the draft most likely

Not much of a b-ball fan base even with some sustained success with buzz there. I actually had to convince several friends that went there that they were good this year because they couldn't believe they were ranked

Reaction Score
I actually think Seton Hall is a pretty desirable job. It's a great location for recruiting, they play in a modern and professional quality arena, and the Big East split worked out wonderfully for them to elevate their status/performance in the league.

Virginia Tech is what, the 10th best program in the ACC without much history and a predominantly football school/culture.

Obviously if they offer him $3M/year he's gone, as I don't think The Hall can match that, but I would be hesitant to leave his current situation; money being equal.
Seton Hall has only had 1 top 25 class since Willard got there. Good players from New Jersey are getting recruited by UConn, Nova, Duke, Maryland, etc. All places who consistently recruit better even if they're a bit further away.

And VTech could just pay him much more.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Seton Hall has only had 1 top 25 class since Willard got there. Good players from New Jersey are getting recruited by UConn, Nova, Duke, Maryland, etc. All places who consistently recruit better even if they're a bit further away.

Agreed, but the question isn't whether Seton Hall is more desirable than UConn, Nova, Duke, Maryland, etc.

Virginia Tech has had a good run under Buzz, but I just think it's a big change of pace going from a metropolitan hoops centric program, to a rural football school.

I think they're both good jobs, don't get me wrong. I just think the Hall was being a little undersold, that's all.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score

I bet a coach like Hurley could keep those kids there

Reaction Score
Agreed, but the question isn't whether Seton Hall is more desirable than UConn, Nova, Duke, Maryland, etc.

Virginia Tech has had a good run under Buzz, but I just think it's a big change of pace going from a metropolitan hoops centric program, to a rural football school.

I think they're both good jobs, don't get me wrong. I just think the Hall was being a little undersold, that's all.
Fair, I know I wouldn't really want to coach at most football first schools. But if they come offering twice his current salary, that has to be tough to pass up.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Fair, I know I wouldn't really want to coach at most football first schools. But if they come offering twice his current salary, that has to be tough to pass up.

Absolutely. If he's their guy too, I wouldn't be shocked if it's $3M+. Obviously Mack was more accomplished than Willard, but he got $4M a year from Louisville as a comp for Big East leaving to ACC.

Reaction Score
There is no chance Hurley leaves for Seton Hall. Seton Hall tried to gauge Hurley's interest before and he was not interested.

Here are the class recruiting rankings for Seton Hall for the past 5 years (based off of 247):

2019 - #75
2018 - #86
2017 - #45
2016 - #60
2015 - #85

Seton Hall doesn't attract top talent. UConn's 2019 class is ranked 18th and thats coming off of 3 straight losing seasons. UConn was also able to recruit top classes even before Hurley. Our 2016 class was ranked 8th in the country.

Hurley himself said that there were only a handful of elite schools he would leave URI for, and Seton Hall is definitely not one of them.

The biggest risk of Hurley leaving UConn does not come from another college, its from the NBA. He has even said as much.

The level of insecurity amongst UConn fans can be so ridiculous...smh

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Holy Lols people actually think Hurley would leave for Seton Hall?
There is no chance Hurley leaves for Seton Hall. Seton Hall tried to gauge Hurley's interest before and he was not interested.
The level of insecurity amongst UConn fans can be so ridiculous...smh

Ya'll miss the joke?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom