• Ray Allen — picture perfect

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Rashad Anderson — ugly but effective

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Jalen Adams — what me jump?

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Taliek Brown — just ugly

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have no athleticism but I sure know how to post like I do!

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other — I’d like to explain

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I may not have very good form, but I'm not very accurate either. Since the double knee replacement a couple months ago, not able to get off the ground at all. I mean, it kinda looks like a jumper, til you get a good look at the feet. Then again, before that, I probably only had just about enough ups to jump over a newspaper, as long as not the Sunday edition. In summary, jump shot is just like my golf game - bad form, poor results, non-receptive to teaching or coaching, but love to play anyway.

Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't. It's one of the biggest reasons Dirk shoots such rainbows. You can't shoot a flat shot from the form below unless you're intentionally fooling around.

dirk-nowitzki-fadeaway-skitch-2.jpg

Dirk...one of my all-time favorite players....

Reaction Score
I never played organized ball, just play ground stuff, but I had a fade away shot. I liked playing SF, but at 6ft, I wasn't tall enough. I could dunk horsing around, but never did in an actual pick up game.

Reaction Score
No, it wouldn't. It's one of the biggest reasons Dirk shoots such rainbows. You can't shoot a flat shot from the form below unless you're intentionally fooling around.

CV shoots an over the head line drive (not as drastic as Dirk) but doesn't get his palm under the ball nearly as much.

Reaction Score
No poll options apply; mine is a left-handed Dirk. I bring the ball further back above my head than purists teach but it always felt natural, made my jumper significantly harder to block, and was a way to automatically get significantly more arc on my shot; it's nearly impossible to short-arm a shot when you bring it higher/further back.
Sounds like ugly but effective to me...

Reaction Score
About 2 years ago I totally rebuilt my shot. I originally had the one that you grew up with, if you were oblivious to actual basketball without proper coaching, etc. Shot with two hands, and a nasty thumb flick.

Started from the ground up, legs first. Once I got the base of my shot settled I did a ton of form shooting. Would just stand about 3 feet in front of the hoop for hours on end every day building new muscle memory. Did that for a 3-4 months.

Around 2 months into that, I backed up the form shooting to the free throw line and the three point line. I noticed the biggest difference in my shot going in when I started doing that from the 3 point line.

But now as I play mainly with friends in semi-competitive games I find myself drifting back into my old habits.

Rec season is coming up soon so I will probably start doing some drill work again just to get the correct feel for my shot once more. I played a lot over the summer and made 56/100 3's one afternoon just by myself which is good by my standards.

Would be cool to get a Boneyard basketball league going haha.
Forgive me, but I’m curious as to how old you are Yogi.

Reaction Score
Shot with two hands, and a nasty thumb flick.
By high school I shot with relatively good looking form except that thumb flick. And I held onto that thing, like a moron, until I was about 30. It took a long time to eliminate, and, if I haven't played in a while, it reappears behind the arc because I've lost the strength to launch it correctly.

Reaction Score

Yes you can? The picture you showed shows nothing to imply arc is guaranteed.

Arc primarily comes from the starting and ending point of the elbow height relative tl set point for most shooters.

It's not a bad shot for some, especially taller guys, but putting the ball above your head doesn't guarantee arc. It makes it HARDER to get arc. Great shooters like Dirk have obviously mastered the imperfections in his shot. All people do.

Dirk's arc comes from his ability to finish his shot with his arm straight up consistently. He gets exvellent elboe lift still. Most 2-motion shooters (and people in general) still have there arm less-than-vertical enough on point of release, which means the ball ends up flat.

Reaction Score

Me too! That playoff run is legendary. Kids have no idea how good he and Duncan were because they weren't about showboating and attitude.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ahh, the magic that is Dirk.. part A, deep behind release. part B, the very real chance that his knee may end up in the defenders' cajones if he gets too close. sheer genius of style, sheer freakin' genius. there are very few like that. I hate guarding those ballers, especially since I like my voice the way it is.

Reaction Score
ahh, the magic that is Dirk.. part A, deep behind release. part B, the very real chance that his knee may end up in the defenders' cajones if he gets too close. sheer genius of style, sheer freakin' genius. there are very few like that. I hate guarding those ballers, especially since I like my voice the way it is.
LOL!

Reaction Score
Great topic!! I got that Rashad Anderson shot. Ugly as heck but very effective. 30% 3pt shooting in my over 40 league. 8 ppg, 3 rpg, 1 apg, and 0.5 spg. Living my inner Kobe Bryant game.

Reaction Score
the baseline is one of the areas on the court with unique dynamics. for example, no backboard on the shooting. defending the shot brings up the weirdness of most players having a brainfreeze by limiting their effort in not stepping over it, as if a pool of sharks awaited their feet if they dared to. I once played in NJ where the gym walls were a few feet beyond the baselines, and a 'homer' perfected the art of springing off the wall to block shots. obviously illegal, but quite entertaining. I guess that why its called 'home court advantage.'
Yep, my baseline game evolved out of playing noon-time pickup at Westport YMCA, the wall & baseline were < 2" apart so played wall out of bounds. No crazy using the wall, but since it was also a short court in tight games you needed a go-to shot that was tough to contest. So I learned to shoot from 1-2 feet beyond parallel with backboard - seems impossible so defense quits at parallel but if you are accurate its very make-able on a 10-12' pull-up. Bonus is if you miss badly towards OB it hits the side of backboard it often comes right back to you = no need to over-adjust or fear hitting the side even though its ugly when it happens.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I was a center.

Most of my work was post ups and rebounding and some cuts. But in pickup I had more outside work.

I got the T thumbs that someone mentioned. My shoulders have always been a little stiff so I’ve had a hard time easily getting that shooting elbow in.

Reaction Score
I was a center.

Most of my work was post ups and rebounding and some cuts. But in pickup I had more outside work.

I got the T thumbs that someone mentioned. My shoulders have always been a little stiff so I’ve had a hard time easily getting that shooting elbow in.

Idk how old you are.. so might.not be relevant. but focus on your hand under the middle of the ball. A lot of guys who cant get their elbow under is because hand isnt under middle of the ball. Try the index finger ok on your target line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom