• Ray Allen — picture perfect

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Rashad Anderson — ugly but effective

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Jalen Adams — what me jump?

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Taliek Brown — just ugly

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • I have no athleticism but I sure know how to post like I do!

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other — I’d like to explain

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I know we have a mix of former athletes, recreational basketball users and people who study the game but don’t necessarily have it in them to play, so where do you fit in?

FYI - Jalen = set shot

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good thread.

My shot's a dual-edged sword: I still use an awkward two hands behind the ball shot that I developed when I was 8 and get most of my points off mid-range bank shots off the top-corner glass. I can comfortably bank shots from up to 15 feet. If I have to shoot a three, I try to use proper form, but I just hate using it.

What's the problem with this? I coach 5th/6th grade boys' basketball at the school where I teach middle school math. My natural form is not what you should teach, but I try to shoot "properly" when demonstrating to the kids. Since coaching for six years now, my form has gotten better, but I love going back to my bad old habits when I play pickup.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never was much of a jump shooter. I preferred offense rebounding and put backs.

At a young age I realized jump shooting requires hours of repetition, regardless of form, to be consistent and good. Rebounding and put backs just took hustle and effort. Plus, offensive rebounds have a way of deflating a defense.

Another benefit of my strategy was I was easy for pick up games because anyone who knew me knew I didn't need to shoot or touch the ball much on offense to still play hard. Gunners loved picking me up on their team. I loved having gunners for teammates because you always knew they were going to shoot.

It was a perfect parasite/host match.

Reaction Score
Good thread.

My shot's a dual-edged sword: I still use an awkward two hands behind the ball shot that I developed when I was 8 and get most of my points off mid-range bank shots off the top-corner glass. I can comfortably bank shots from up to 15 feet. If I have to shoot a three, I try to use proper form, but I just hate using it.

What's the problem with this? I coach 5th/6th grade boys' basketball at the school where I teach middle school math. My natural form is not what you should teach, but I try to shoot "properly" when demonstrating to the kids. Since coaching for six years now, my form has gotten better, but I love going back to my bad old habits when I play pickup.
Do me a favor and do not allow kids that age shoot 3 pointers. Too weak and they develop terrible form.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
In my mind, my form was always somewhere less than perfect, but close enough for government work. Think Scotty Burrell.
Then I saw a video of my shooting. This wasn't me in my prime, so I will always claim that my form deteriorated with age, but you know that Taliek Brown motion you have in the poll? Add Bazz's random leg kicks to that. Yeah, it ain't pretty.
Not all that effective, either, now that I think about it.
SIGH.

Reaction Score
I've developed, over time (and like Hey Adrien!, coaching) I've developed very good form. The accuracy, though, is less than ideal because my depth perception is always bad. I need to take a million reps when the season comes around again before I'm hitting at an above average rate.

Reaction Score
Good thread.

Please: play man D,
(NOT A ZONE), positionless motion-ish offense, and teach kids fundamentals. The game is being ruined at that level.

Reaction Score
Being a lefty, I've always admired Chris Mullins' shot with not much lift. I've always focused on keeping my elbows in and making the T with my thumbs. (not sure if anyone else was taught that way)

Reaction Score
Some of you are lying liars, not me tho, my shot is wet. @RichZ you win the thread if you can produce that video.

Reaction Score
Please: play man D,
(NOT A ZONE), positionless motion-ish offense, and teach kids fundamentals. The game is being ruined at that level.
Don’t worry guys. Only do man D but keep a foot in the lane get kids familiar and more opportunistic with help D. I swear I’m the only team in the league that has man D.

I have no tolerance for 3 point shooting and I only allow kids who can hit 3 out of 10 in a tryout to even attempt them in a game or practice.

Reaction Score
Don’t worry guys. Only do man D but keep a foot in the lane get kids familiar and more opportunistic with help D. I swear I’m the only team in the league that has man D.

I have no tolerance for 3 point shooting and I only allow kids who can hit 3 out of 10 in a tryout to even attempt them in a game or practice.

I like you! The travel league in our town sees MAYBE 1 man D all year. It is absurd.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if you consistently make the baseline j, then you are a good shooter. i'm so-so on that, but I score plenty since I still can rise and dunk on your mug (tomahawk days in rear view mirror, lol). there are shooters, scorers, and whatever Sir Step Back, Knight of the Broken Ankles Order Kemba is. Cookies!

Reaction Score
if you consistently make the baseline j, then you are a good shooter. i'm so-so on that, but I score plenty since I still can rise and dunk on your mug (tomahawk days in rear view mirror, lol). there are shooters, scorers, and whatever Sir Step Back, Knight of the Broken Ankles Order Kemba is. Cookies!
Baseline J is my bread & butter, especially right side. I've got too much left hand in my shot and as a result historically shot well 18' and in, but massive dropoff at 20'/3pters.
Over last 3yrs since I've been coaching I'm converting to a one-handed shot and can now shoot 3's at a respectable rate on nights other shots are falling.

Reaction Score
Confessions of a BB junkie :
What really claissifies as a jump shop
When my older grand kids were playing basketball I still played with them even though I was in my sixties.. I was 50-60 lbs heavier than but I used to tell them they had the only grandpa who could still shoot the jumper.
I decided a jump shot was any shot where your feet left the ground , using a business card lining flat as your benchmark.
Although I’m almost 76 I could actually elevate an inch or two at 6’0 178 lbs but my lack of upper body strength only allows for very short shots.
In my playing days my favorite shot was a 20 ft one handed. I once made 8 in a row in a JV game *. The head of the key (15ft) was the limit it on my J.
I really hated our high school coach and quit my senior year after scoring 20 points in an inter squad scrimmage ,something I still regret even though The coach was a moron. I had learned the game from my gym teacher and our former coach and I probably knew as much (or thought I did ) basketball as the political hack who succeeded him.
I also once won the FT shooting contest at my local Y . I made 18 in a row
I was a terrific half court player ( or horse as I had a bunch of trick shots ) especially for money ,but as a big sturdy guy I never liked running up and down a court. I suppose I was your classic gym rat.
Even today If kids are shooting hoops on one of my walks I can’t resist calling for the ball. They usually oblige . The other day an older kid was shooting alone as I walked by ,I asked for the ball. He passed it to me then stood stunned as I spun it on one finger than threw up a layup with so much spin it literally climbed the board and spun through touching only twine. His only words were “ gram-pa’s got game “I silently continued on my way. smiling in self-satisfaction.
I never did show him my behind the back layup .
If only I devoted as much time to studies as I did to the game I might have a Nobel prize who knows.

Reaction Score
I changed a lot growing up. I’ve always been the big tall kid so naturally I was a center and didn’t develop any type of jump shot. I didn’t play for any college but I played in a lot of leagues in college with many former D2 players. I’ve developed a pretty smooth J over the years. I’d compare it more to a Giffey (in the beginning of games) mixed with a Jalen( once I get tired).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Baseline J is my bread & butter, especially right side. I've got too much left hand in my shot and as a result historically shot well 18' and in, but massive dropoff at 20'/3pters.
Over last 3yrs since I've been coaching I'm converting to a one-handed shot and can now shoot 3's at a respectable rate on nights other shots are falling.
the baseline is one of the areas on the court with unique dynamics. for example, no backboard on the shooting. defending the shot brings up the weirdness of most players having a brainfreeze by limiting their effort in not stepping over it, as if a pool of sharks awaited their feet if they dared to. I once played in NJ where the gym walls were a few feet beyond the baselines, and a 'homer' perfected the art of springing off the wall to block shots. obviously illegal, but quite entertaining. I guess that why its called 'home court advantage.'

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
My illusion is that Ray's form might best apply. My reality is that with decades of declining jump and insufficient arm strength causing an over-reliance on wrist action, the ball can easily fall 1-2 feet short of the basket. I'm probably set up for a women's game ball and an 8-9 foot hoop. Sometimes I can get into a zone in a 4-foot swimming pool.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Some of you are lying liars, not me tho, my shot is wet. @RichZ you win the thread if you can produce that video.

If it still exists, it's on one of about 100 unlabeled micro cassettes my wife has with no working device to play them on.

Reaction Score
No poll options apply; mine is a left-handed Dirk. I bring the ball further back above my head than purists teach but it always felt natural, made my jumper significantly harder to block, and was a way to automatically get significantly more arc on my shot; it's nearly impossible to short-arm a shot when you bring it higher/further back.

Reaction Score
No poll options apply; mine is a left-handed Dirk. I bring the ball further back above my head than purists teach but it always felt natural, made my jumper significantly harder to block, and was a way to automatically get significantly more arc on my shot; it's nearly impossible to short-arm a shot when you bring it higher/further back.

That would negatively affect your arc. Tru its harder to block though

Reaction Score
About 2 years ago I totally rebuilt my shot. I originally had the one that you grew up with, if you were oblivious to actual basketball without proper coaching, etc. Shot with two hands, and a nasty thumb flick.

Started from the ground up, legs first. Once I got the base of my shot settled I did a ton of form shooting. Would just stand about 3 feet in front of the hoop for hours on end every day building new muscle memory. Did that for a 3-4 months.

Around 2 months into that, I backed up the form shooting to the free throw line and the three point line. I noticed the biggest difference in my shot going in when I started doing that from the 3 point line.

But now as I play mainly with friends in semi-competitive games I find myself drifting back into my old habits.

Rec season is coming up soon so I will probably start doing some drill work again just to get the correct feel for my shot once more. I played a lot over the summer and made 56/100 3's one afternoon just by myself which is good by my standards.

Would be cool to get a Boneyard basketball league going haha.

Reaction Score
That would negatively affect your arc.

No, it wouldn't. It's one of the biggest reasons Dirk shoots such rainbows. You can't shoot a flat shot from the form below unless you're intentionally fooling around.

dirk-nowitzki-fadeaway-skitch-2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom