Ot- joy in others pain is bad karma..but this is funny | The Boneyard

Ot- joy in others pain is bad karma..but this is funny

Reaction Score
I've been thinking, as tenuous as our deal is right now, I think I'd hate to be a Kentucky fan. They literally have no lasting connection with most of their players. Every year, 5 new guys come in, you pin your hopes on them, and then they are gone. Fox is a damn good player and I thought the emotion he illustrated following the UNC game was pretty genuine. If I was a UK fan I'd love to root for him for a few years. But he'll be gone in the next couple of weeks. Say what you will about our seniors, but we experienced some great highs and lows with them and it was a worthwhile fan/player detached relationship. At Kentucky you hardly ever get that. It has to be a pretty hollow fandom.

Reaction Score
They're not a college program. They're an extended combine or Mini-D league for the pros. They don't get the benefit of the 3 and 4 year guys on the court, in the program or staying involved after they leave.

I know... Hence my original point that it must suck to be a Kentucky fan. If you were a long-time fan, and I know they have tons, it must be a downer to root for new guys every year. Guys like Derek Willis and Hawkins are an absolute rarity there nowadays and that is why, in spite of their lesser talent, they are beloved.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They're not a college program. They're an extended combine or Mini-D league for the pros. They don't get the benefit of the 3 and 4 year guys on the court, in the program or staying involved after they leave.
Dominque Hawkins and Derek Willis disagree with you. Guys like briscoe, Gabriel, humphries, and Jones will be around for at least 3 years, unless they transfer.

However the only name mentioned above who is a major contributor is briscoe, but I'm sure it makes the 1 and dones better practicing against other above average talent.

Reaction Score
They actually had 2 or 3 seniors who played meaningful minutes this year so they'll have more turnover than usual. Briscoe is probably the only contributor who will return

Reaction Score
When will these very talented but not 1 and done status guys stop going to Kentucky? They could succeed massively and go pro quicker if they were the star of a lesser team, and still do damage in March. I don't question the monster talents not worrying about playing time heading there, but the guys who are one step down confuse me. I'm sure Cal just Donald Trump's the heck out of them and they start the year thinking they'll be a lottery pick

Reaction Score
They are essentially a post-grad AAU team. That's how Calipari treats his players, they've got almost nothing to do with UK unless plan A fails and they have to come back for sophomore year. And then its unlikely to go well as they recruit over. If they weren't Kentucky there's ZER0 chance their academics would keep them tourney eligible.
Agree too bad about Fox as he's likely a much better college player than pro

Reaction Score
I know those are probably mostly college kids, but I'll never understand people that want to go to a bar to watch a sporting event.

Reaction Score
But we wouldn't take Fox and Monk for 1 year?
In a heartbeat, I get both sides of that conundrum, but I'd have been ecstatic if we had even gotten Diallo, and he might not even play a single college game.

Reaction Score
But we wouldn't take Fox and Monk for 1 year?

I would if it got us a final four (or beyond) berth. But I cannot imagine doing that every year. They will probably lose at least three of their freshmen this year and Briscoe considered leaving last year. Diallo may not ever play as well. I know we root for the University, but it's gotta suck having so little lasting connection to the players. Drummond was here for one year and it was a crappy year overall (team wise) and I remember next to nothing of it. So, my lasting memory of one of our true NBA stars is him being on the team that was blitzed in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I know those are probably mostly college kids, but I'll never understand people that want to go to a bar to watch a sporting event.
Really depends on the game. A normal game? Yeah, I'll take my couch and not pay exorbitant amounts for beer. For the late rounds of the UConn championship runs at a UConn bar where the whole place erupts after every basket? Very much worth it.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Ot- joy in others pain is bad karma..but this is funny

But not in the unreality of sports fandom. It's one of the best parts of being a fan!
Ahh! Kentucky!!! 4.4 million people. 6 last names.
That's not even the worst of it! They had to walk out of that bar afterwards and be in Kentucky....

Reaction Score

Accepting that offering a rational thought about Kentucky makes you a Calipari lover, this post - while it embodies the Boneyard talking point - just isn't remotely true. First of all, most of those one and done kids people love to gnash their teeth about do stay involved in the program after they leave, just as much as ex-players do anywhere else. I'm not sure how much evidence of that you have to see to believe it. And Kentucky had freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors in the rotation this year.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind the occasional one and done but to build your team on them year after year would disappointing? anticlimactic? I'm not sure what word I'm looking for here...

Reaction Score
Accepting that offering a rational thought about Kentucky makes you a Calipari lover, this post - while it embodies the Boneyard talking point - just isn't remotely true. First of all, most of those one and done kids people love to gnash their teeth about do stay involved in the program after they leave, just as much as ex-players do anywhere else. I'm not sure how much evidence of that you have to see to believe it. And Kentucky had freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors in the rotation this year.

Calipari Lover!!!!

Reaction Score
Kentucky fans have taken over John higgins Facebook page for his roofing company. They are now attacking his business and personal well being over a basketball game.

Apparently someone started answering the phone at his company with " Federal Bureau of Investigation" do to all the harassing calls. Pathetic by Kentucky fans makes them losing that much better

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom