The Virginian
Reaction Score
End of an era. A great American -

LINK

jg2.jpg

Reaction Score
End of an era. A great American -
LINK

What a pioneer. What a patriot. Like Alan Shepard, when he went up there was no certainty that he would come back down. And if he did, there was no certainty he would be alive. Monkeys were their test pilots. Thank you, John Glenn. Goodspeed, John Glenn. RIP John Glenn.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
A great and good man. I met John Glenn during my years teaching at his Alma Mater, Muskingum College. It was my privilege to do a local TV interview with Senator Glenn back in 1979. He was as honest and clear in his communication as you could ever ask anyone to be. He had a somewhat dry sense of humor; he made those of us around him feel like old friends. I never heard a negative word spoken about him.

His service in Marine Aviation, flying F4U Corsairs, led him to become a test pilot and later, an astronaut. He was justifiably proud of his service, but never boastful or self-aggrandizing. He never lost this quality, even amid the morass of politics, for which I respect him greatly.

John Glenn gave a keynote speech at the Democratic convention in 1976. It is memorable only in that it was his misfortune to follow the speech of the late Barbara Jordan. Jordan gave such a "stem-winder" that everything that followed it appeared extremely flat or anti-climactic. That twist of fate almost certainly cost Glenn the vice-presidency.

Coincidentally, in 1975 I had come to own a large frame house on Montgomery Boulevard in New Concord that was his dorm/apartment for a brief time during his college years. About the same time (1976), my wife was a member of a local ladies' club with Senator Glenn's mother. She was as much known and respected locally as was her son.

It's a small world, indeed. Godspeed, John Glenn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A great and good man. I met John Glenn during my years teaching at his Alma Mater, Muskingum College. It was my privilege to do a local TV interview with Senator Glenn back in 1979. He was as honest and clear in his communication as you could ever ask anyone to be. He had a somewhat dry sense of humor; he made those of us around him feel like old friends. I never heard a negative word spoken about him.

His service in Marine Aviation, flying F4U Corsairs, led him to become a test pilot and later, an astronaut. He was justifiably proud of his service, but never boastful or self-aggrandizing. He never lost this quality, even amid the morass of politics, for which I respect him greatly.

John Glenn gave a keynote speech at the Democratic convention in 1976. It is memorable only in that it was his misfortune to follow the speech of the late Barbara Jordan. Jordan gave such a "stem-winder" that everything that followed it appeared extremely flat or anti-climactic. That twist of fate almost certainly cost Glenn the vice-presidency.

Coincidentally, in 1975 I had come to own a large frame house on Montgomery Boulevard in New Concord that was his dorm/apartment for a brief time during his college years. About the same time (1976), my wife was a member of a local ladies' club with Senator Glenn's mother. She was as much known and respected locally as was her son.

It's a small world, indeed. Godspeed, John Glenn.
John wasn't an exciting guy, but he was as solid as they come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom