OT - Jimmer Fredette schadenfreude | The Boneyard

OT - Jimmer Fredette schadenfreude

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

After this video was made, he got a 10-day contract with the NY Knicks, scored 3 points and went back to Westchester (according to his Wikipedia page).

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
He seems like a nice kid. I'm not gonna hope he has a crap career just because he beat Kemba for POY 5 years ago.
I derive no pleasure from seeing Fredette struggle to catch on.

Whatever vindication some posters may feel that it proves Kemba is and was a better player, it just comes across as petulant and childish to carry a grudge against Fredette. Fredette was voted POY by the media; be small and petty towards them.

Reaction Score
Also, the voting occurred before the BET weas finished. After the tournaments the result would likely have been different.

Reaction Score
Also, the voting occurred before the BET weas finished. After the tournaments the result would likely have been different.

Fredette still won the ESPY, which I am irrationally angry about, because it's just the stupid ESPYs. But that's not Fredette's fault. Would rather see him in the league - I know it was hard to watch Thabeet flame out for his sake and I wouldn't wish that sort of downward spiral on anyone (unless they were genuinely unlikable in college).

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
His style doesn't really suit the NBA. He doesn't have a true position-not exactly a ball handling PG, too small to be a SG.
That doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award in 2011. Did we forget how good he was in college? Didn't he average like 3o points?
I don't get why people are pissed off about that, we won the frickin National Championship, who cares what some POY award said about the regular season...

Reaction Score
His style doesn't really suit the NBA. He doesn't have a true position-not exactly a ball handling PG, too small to be a SG.
That doesn't mean he didn't deserve the award in 2011. Did we forget how good he was in college? Didn't he average like 3o points?
I don't get why people are pissed off about that, we won the frickin National Championship, who cares what some POY award said about the regular season...

Plus, Kemba shot less than 40% in Big East play. He was still great, but if it was a regular season award, it made sense to give it to Jimmer.

And I'm pretty sure I said this in another thread, but if Davies doesn't get suspended by BYU for premarital s*x that BYU team had a made path to the championship game.

Reaction Score
Jimmer is a great story. Solid strong high school player (region I'm from) gets a good D1 spot. Rare for his background; and he's not Mormon. He became a college phenomenon. And I'm not bitter at all on Kemba coming in second.

Then look at that video piece ... and he's just not athletic enough. Skilled. But obviously not the caliber of NBA. He made decent money. He will do great in life.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fredette still won the ESPY, which I am irrationally angry about, because it's just the stupid ESPYs. But that's not Fredette's fault. Would rather see him in the league - I know it was hard to watch Thabeet flame out for his sake and I wouldn't wish that sort of downward spiral on anyone (unless they were genuinely unlikable in college).

Totally agree. Never had anything against Fredette (or Jameer Nelson for that matter), it's always been a grudge against the media from my perspective.

I'm not one to play the race card, and in this case I don't think it was malicious or necessarily purposeful at all, but I wondered how much of the voters' opinions were swayed by the fact he was a crack 3pt shooting white kid. All those middle age white sports journalists could identify with that, and might have seen him as their Jimmy Chitwood. Just musing, not accusing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Plus, Kemba shot less than 40% in Big East play. He was still great, but if it was a regular season award, it made sense to give it to Jimmer.

I know that people, especially voters, don't put much overall thought into these awards, but I felt the disparity between the respective leagues they played in should have been taken into account. The Big East had much better players and defenses, and frankly3, the style was way more physical, the primary driver of Kemba's low shooting %.

In addition, I think the voters didn't take into account the complete player. Kemba was far, far better on the defensive end, playing almost exclusively man-to-man. Whereas Jimmer's relative ineffectiveness was hidden in BYU's zone.

Finally, Kemba was the primary cog leading a bunch of freshman and sophomores. He was the absolute focal point, with no other star players for most of the season (until Lamb emerged late). Jimmer had Davies. And more experience on his side.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
POY vs National Champion
Ask Kemba and even Jimmer which one means more

Reaction Score
Jimmer is a great story. Solid strong high school player (region I'm from) gets a good D1 spot. Rare for his background; and he's not Mormon. He became a college phenomenon. And I'm not bitter at all on Kemba coming in second.

Then look at that video piece ... and he's just not athletic enough. Skilled. But obviously not the caliber of NBA. He made decent money. He will do great in life.

I'm from there as well and I wish the kid no ill will, but the media in the capital regional are a bunch of hacks and I get sick of Jimmer highlights with the Westchester whatever's.

Hope the kid catches on somewhere, but good Christ enough with chronicling his every game.

Reaction Score

And I'm pretty sure I said this in another thread, but if Davies doesn't get suspended by BYU for premarital s*x that BYU team had a made path to the championship game.

If both players had switched conferences, do you think Jimmer would have shot better than 40% and put up the same numbers in the BEAST? Me neither.

Reaction Score
If both players had switched conferences, do you think Jimmer would have shot better than 40% and put up the same numbers in the BEAST? Me neither.

lol, Ben Hansbrough was able to shoot 48% from the field the year he won BE POY but its crazy to think Jimmer Fredette would be able to shoot above 40%? Fredette gave an elite defense like San Diego State's 32ppg in 3 matchups in 2011, he would have lit up teams in the Big East. The debate b/w Kemba and Jimmer has long been dead and buried but we can acknowledge that dude was a very good college player and elite shooter/scorer.

Reaction Score
He seems like a nice kid. I'm not gonna hope he has a crap career just because he beat Kemba for POY 5 years ago.

From the little that's come out about his reputation/personality it sounds like the opposite is true. Sounds like he has a rep of not being a team guy. This was from when the Spurs cut him last October...

"Jimmer thinks everybody is stupid," said an NBA assistant who worked with Fredette. "He thinks everybody needs to come and just turn over their offense and let him shoot it anytime he wants. That's not how the league works."

"He won't adjust his game for it," he said. "He'll tell you, 'This is what I did at BYU.' Well, BYU, that's a long time ago."

"In college everything was geared around him," his former coach said. "He's had to learn how to play off other people here, and that's been a struggle for him."

Why Jimmer Fredette has been such a big bust in the NBA

Reaction Score
lol, Ben Hansbrough was able to shoot 48% from the field the year he won BE POY but its crazy to think Jimmer Fredette would be able to shoot above 40%? Fredette gave an elite defense like San Diego State's 32ppg in 3 matchups in 2011, he would have lit up teams in the Big East. The debate b/w Kemba and Jimmer has long been dead and buried but we can acknowledge that dude was a very good college player and elite shooter/scorer.

I never said Jimmr wasn't good, but Kemba played much better comp at a similar position.

Reaction Score
jimmer deserved POY imo. im sure kembas over it, not sure why a lot of fans arent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom