OT - Jets at Bills to be moved | The Boneyard

OT - Jets at Bills to be moved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As a tried and true Patriot loyalist, it would be my duty to go and root for Buffalo.

Reaction Score
As a tried and true Patriot loyalist, it would be my duty to go and root for Buffalo.

jets.gif

PatsSuck.gif

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a wiseass, but why not play the game the Carrier Dome or at PSU?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Hasn't the Carrier Dome been subject to enough bad football this season?

Reaction Score
Carrier Dome is hosting a hockey event his weekend. Odd. AHL, too. It's 2 1/2 hours from Buffalo.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/11/19/carrier-dome-host-pro-hockey-ahl

I am actually surprised that the game is not going to be moved to the Rogers Center in Toronto. The Bills have played home games there before and its the closed major stadium (2 hours) to Buffalo, assuming that that the Bills fan can get our of their homes by Monday. Both Pittsburgh and Cleveland are 3 hours away and would be a neutral site unlike Toronto. Moving it to Washington will make it a Jets home game for all intent as its 6 1/2 hours to DC from Buffalo and 4 from MetLife. That's just wrong to penalize a team for getting slammed with a the average annual snowfall in Buffalo in 3 days in November.

Reaction Score
Rent is too small. But if they were smart they would play in CT and probably pick up some new fans and rekindle old fan interest. It would sell out.

Reaction Score
And the winner is, Detroit. So Bills fans will have the drove 4 hours, via Ontario and this driving with 30 minutes of Rodgers Center, to a city where no one cares about the Bills or the Jets on a Monday night. Genius! That the spread on attendence being less than 20K?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11911190/new-york-jets-buffalo-bills-game-moved-monday-detroit

Did I mention the Red Wings are home, too? Parking Monday night in Detroit should be fun, at least the two (Joe Louis and Ford Field) are about 2 miles apart. The Red Wings will have more fans though.

The Bills are screwed here because they can't even practice right now due to the road and that their practice facility is literally buried (its next door to the stadium) and their fans will likely still be stuck in Buffalo. Heck, there are concerns about the Bills next home game on November 30th as it was reported that it takes 3 days to clear 1 foot of snow from the stadium and parking areas and they got 5 already with 3 more later in the week (5+3 = 8 x 3 = 24 days).

On a much more serious note, best wishes to everyone up in that area as many are falling to heart attacks trying to dig out and with rain forecasted for the weekend, a lot of structures will fail due to the weight of 8 feet of snow plus rain.

Reaction Score
Rent is too small. But if they were smart they would play in CT and probably pick up some new fans and rekindle old fan interest. It would sell out.

Cue up the - "Hey what about the Yale Bowl" crowd.;)

Reaction Score
I really thought the Carrier Dome was the right place - how hard can it be to tear down an AHL venue and get it ready for football?

The Bills were flirting with Toronto a few years ago - why not play there?

We're sending 2 teams from NY to MI to play a game in front of 5K - perhaps they should call it the Motor City Bowl :confused:

Reaction Score
Toronto? Maybe because Buffalo doesn't want to provide more reasons for people to think of moving to a bigger city with more TV eyes, income, etc. As much of a failed city as Detroit has become, at least they have a team so the Bills have no reason to worry versus Toronto.

Reaction Score
I really thought the Carrier Dome was the right place - how hard can it be to tear down an AHL venue and get it ready for football?

The Bills were flirting with Toronto a few years ago - why not play there?

We're sending 2 teams from NY to MI to play a game in front of 5K - perhaps they should call it the Motor City Bowl :confused:

I happened to be listening to TSN radio in Toronto yesterday and they mentioned that the Rodgers Center is "unavailable" Not sure why as there is nothing listed on the event calendar but apparently it wasn't an option.

Reaction Score
So does this now mean that the Michigan Wolverines are New York's team?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I really hope you aren't serious...but if you are, I can't let this opportunity to be snarky go by the wayside.

It's easy, of course, because AHL quality rinks don't even approach NHL surfaces.

All they have to do is melt the ice, soak up over 30,000 gallons of paint and water (Carrier Dome most likely does not have the proper drainage), disassemble the stands, disassemble the protective netting, disassemble the glass, Disassemble the dashers, penalty boxes and benches, remove the base (multiple layers of wood and interlocking heavy rubber panels) and then put up goal posts, rewire the electronics and communications, and vacuum the carpet for football.

It took 5 days to set up hockey. Considering these are probably union jobs, you may want to add on another 36 hours. Oh and pay for all the labor and reimburse the promoters, owners, and universities scheduled to play. Yeah, it shouldn't take too long and it's probably pretty cheap.

Reaction Score
I really hope you aren't serious...but if you are, I can't let this opportunity to be snarky go by the wayside.

It's easy, of course, because AHL quality rinks don't even approach NHL surfaces.

All they have to do is melt the ice, soak up over 30,000 gallons of paint and water (Carrier Dome most likely does not have the proper drainage), disassemble the stands, disassemble the protective netting, disassemble the glass, Disassemble the dashers, penalty boxes and benches, remove the base (multiple layers of wood and interlocking heavy rubber panels) and then put up goal posts, rewire the electronics and communications, and vacuum the carpet for football.

It took 5 days to set up hockey. Considering these are probably union jobs, you may want to add on another 36 hours. Oh and pay for all the labor and reimburse the promoters, owners, and universities scheduled to play. Yeah, it shouldn't take too long and it's probably pretty cheap.

Plus, the Fruit have a home basketball game on Tuesday. No way they can convert from hockey (Sunday, tickets already sold, can't cancel), to football (Monday), and then to basketball (Tuesday) in a 36 hour period. That said, as it's a home game for the Bills, Toronto, if the Rogers Center is available, would have made more sense.

Reaction Score
Not a Pats fan, but you must be 1 of the 3 Jets fans in existence. How painful is it to care about the Jets?

Reaction Score
1. The snow is located in 3 southern suburbs, including OP where the Bills are. We had sunshine in the city and less than half an inch when the 7 feet fell on OP

2. The Bills were bought by Terry Pegula who is keeping them in Buffalo. Peg uls beat out the Jim Rogers group with Bon Jovi, and there was a lot of bad press for the Rogerses in Buffalo, so there's bad blood.

3. Only about 200k of the 1.3m in the Buffalo area were impacted by the snow. Of course the Bills also draw 24% of season ticket holders from 1.2m in Rochester, and 15% from Ontario. Some. will make the much easier drive to Detrit as opposed to Pitt (highway is still closed). Also nice that you can sit in the warm indoors for the game.

Reaction Score
So, upstater's 2 clarifies one more good reason why Toronto was not an option. Those lake-effect storms are bizarre, and cause to question why the Bills stadium was built in the snow-target rich location of Orchard Park. Good to hear upstater's not directly impacted. 7-8 feet of melting snow is bad in some areas now, but imagine the mess come springtime. They better hope for a gradual thaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom