OT: Jazz legend Dave Brubeck has died | The Boneyard

OT: Jazz legend Dave Brubeck has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Dave Brubeck passed away suddenly this morning at the age of 91.

Still active up until the end! A class act.

RIP Dave

Dave-Brubeck-1.jpg

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Can only hope he and Paul Desmond are having a good time catching up....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of my personal favorites ever. If ever there was anyone who deserved a restful break it was Dave, he taught us all to Take Five.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Can only hope he and Paul Desmond are having a good time catching up....

+1

Sadly for jazz, he is now in better company than he was just yesterday, in terms of the talent that has gone before...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I had the distinct pleasure of hearing Dave Brubeck, who lived in nearby Wilton, often over the years. On one special occasion, I sat immediately behind his son, Darius, in the Norwalk Concert Hall as the Norwalk Youth Symphony premiered a piece he wrote for that occasion.

I will never forget Dave's standard comment as he and his quartet were about to take a halftime intermission. He would tell the audience, "When you come back, we'll come back."

It's so sad to know that this great man will not come back for just one more encore.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Growing up in Norwalk, I was fortunate to see him when he played in the area throughout the years. He was a supporter of local organizations and would play outdoors in Westport each year. He was a nice man.

Reaction Score
Age always wins. I will remember Dave for several reasons. It was the DBQ that fostered my life-long interest in jazz back in my Air Force days of the late 1950's.
In fact, I chose the DBQ version of Ellington's "Take the A Train" as the theme for
my nightly Jazz Radio program in college. I've listened to it so often, I can still scat sing Dave's solo on that particular recording.

Dave Brubeck was the last of my youth's living Heroes. Not just for his musical genius, but because Dave was one of the very few jazz musicians who did not fall victim to the drugs of 'creativity.' Dave stood up for many racial encounters in the early days for Gene Wright and others. And Dave was always accessible to his fans and appreciated them for their support.

Gone at 91. But he will live still, as long as there is Jazz.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A young local pastor referred to Dave Brubeck as the All Time Greatest one hit wonder. I chastised him immediately for his ignorance of jazz history and Dave's significance in civil rights in playing in small black jazz clubs across the south in the 50s.

Reaction Score
Dave played Storrs for Winter Weekend in 1962 if I have remembered correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom