OT: Jay Bilas vs. the NCAA | The Boneyard

OT: Jay Bilas vs. the NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did anyone see what Bilas was doing today? Pretty much taking the NCAA to task. He found that at the online NCAA store, you can enter a popular player's name and their jersey would show up. The NCAA eventually tried fixing it, didn't work, and then just removed the search feature altogether.

Jay Bilas@JayBilas
Go to ShopNCAAsports.com, type in "Manziel" in upper right search box, hit enter. This comes up. pic.twitter.com/N7KNvXIu24

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...as-did-to-the-shopncaasportscom-search-engine

Reaction Score
Jay is hilarious on twitter. If you aren't following him you need to do that now. He always has great things to say about the NCAA and he just destroys them. Every morning he tweets some Jeezy lyrics followed by "I gotta go to work." He's a boss. He's also following 0 people which makes him that much cooler than everyone else on twitter.

K

Kemballin'

What's so bad about this? It's a store that sells jersey's among other things, wouldn't they want to make buying jerseys as easy as possible?

K

Kemballin'

Jay is hilarious on twitter. If you aren't following him you need to do that now. He always has great things to say about the NCAA and he just destroys them. Every morning he tweets some Jeezy lyrics followed by "I gotta go to work." He's a boss. He's also following 0 people which makes him that much cooler than everyone else on twitter.

Agreed, I own his book on toughness and just started it. It's a great read so far I recommend it.

Reaction Score
What's so bad about this? It's a store that sells jersey's among other things, wouldn't they want to make buying jerseys as easy as possible?
It's not just any store. It's the official NCAA store that is linked from the NCAA website. When they say they are not profiting off of NCAA athletes or their likeness, and then allowing consumers to search for jerseys on their own store by searching by athlete name, it just reeks of hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
Jay is awesome, he really knows he game and is a smart and funny guy. We need to let him know what's going on with Facey.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

The NCAA argument is that it's the name on the front that sells and the fact the few numbers available match the best players is a happy coincidence.

Reaction Score
Who knew a Dukie could be so likeable? I've always liked Jay, he just says what's on his mind but with plenty of decorum. I can't believe I wasn't following him, considering how many schmucks I do follow.

Reaction Score
Bilas 4 NCAA Prez!!!

Jay's a guy who has extensive knowledge. He's definitely not Pro Anyone. He's a straight shooter. He calls it as he sees it. He's commentary is refreshing & pure. While I don't approve of Puke favoritism, many of their players are level headed in the real world.... Though I still HATE Christian Fake'ner!

Reaction Score
The NCAA argument is that it's the name on the front that sells and the fact the few numbers available match the best players is a happy coincidence.

Even more specifically, they've claimed they make no linkage to the players themselves in their sales - he's just poked an enormous hole in that argument by showing this. It's a direct link between a player's name, not just a (supposedly) ubiquitous number and the merchandise sold by the NCAA. There's a reason that search function was removed within a matter of minutes of this going viral. They know they were exposed.

Reaction Score
You can be sure that Bilas will make his opinion known about the Facey thing if he ends up losing any eligibility.

Reaction Score
I get Bilas' point and I agree with the hypocrisy. Here's the problem. Until it's fixed; the players have to accept the restrictions. Don't make Manziel out to be a martyr. If he truly wanted to challenge the system; he would have been vocal about the abuse of his likeness and name for profit. Step up and say something. Don't go to some shady memorabilia dealer and then cry foul.

Reaction Score
The Friday before the first game of the season, every player on every team should publicly, with media present, sell autographs for $1 each. No doubt the NCAA will call off all the games, right?

Reaction Score
If you can search the NCAA Store on a player's name and results comes back, that tells me that the database contains players' names and searchable within the database. That shows intent to me.

Reaction Score
I get Bilas' point and I agree with the hypocrisy. Here's the problem. Until it's fixed; the players have to accept the restrictions. Don't make Manziel out to be a martyr. If he truly wanted to challenge the system; he would have been vocal about the abuse of his likeness and name for profit. Step up and say something. Don't go to some shady memorabilia dealer and then cry foul.

You are WAY off base with this. No one is making Manziel out to be a martyr, it was just the example Bilas used due to the fact that Manziel is a high profile player in the midst of a scandal. Even if NCAA athletes are paid at some point way down the road, they STILL won't be able to profit off selling their own memorabilia, autographs etc.
Manziel isn't a man of the people, trying to stand up for players rights and getting jobbed by the system. He's a scum bag who is trying to make a quick buck.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
You are WAY off base with this. No one is making Manziel out to be a martyr, it was just the example Bilas used due to the fact that Manziel is a high profile player in the midst of a scandal. Even if NCAA athletes are paid at some point way down the road, they STILL won't be able to profit off selling their own memorabilia, autographs etc.
Manziel isn't a man of the people, trying to stand up for players rights and getting jobbed by the system. He's a scum bag who is trying to make a quick buck.

Why is selling your own signature for a quick buck synonymous with being a scumbag? Hell, if someone would pay for my Herbie Hancock I'd be selling it anywhere and everywhere. The moral of the story here is that the NCAA has been lying, and Bilas exposed them. If anyone is the scumbag, it is the NCAA. If not, then ask yourself, "Why did they disable the search engine?"

Reaction Score
Bilas was on Mike & Mike this morning with more good points. The NCAA wont allow the players to make any profit but they, in turn, want the profit. He called it exploitation which is accurate. I suppose nobody is going to feel sorry for the players becuase a very small % will make millions in the pros and thats what sticks with people. Golick then told the similar story of how the NHL banned certain hits on players, acutally suspended those players yet posted videos of the hits on their website. Its hypocrisy at its worst. The NCAA is a failure on many levels. I'd love to see the players revolt in some way but it will never happen for the promise of pro riches.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Bilas was on Mike & Mike this morning with more good points. The NCAA wont allow the players to make any profit but they, in turn, want the profit. He called it exploitation which is accurate. I suppose nobody is going to feel sorry for the players becuase a very small % will make millions in the pros and thats what sticks with people. Golick then told the similar story of how the NHL banned certain hits on players, acutally suspended those players yet posted videos of the hits on their website. Its hypocrisy at its worst. The NCAA is a failure on many levels. I'd love to see the players revolt in some way but it will never happen for the promise of pro riches.
This and the free ride scholarship athletes make are the inertia against a public outcry. But if enough events occur a majority of the public will react, insist on changes, and our elected legislatures will recognize a pr opportunity and set up some bogus laws to give the appearance that substantive changes are in place. The public will feel satisfied it has done something and ignore college athletics once again and the perpetrators of inequity and exploitation will figure out ways to get around the new rules.

But until there is a public outcry, the system, with its group of leaders that lack integrity, will push the limits on making monies for themselves and the parties they represent. Just ask @upstater to tell you about NCAA leadership and its coziness with the aau system with past presidents. Emmert is not a person who has integrity so you have to wonder why he's in his position. It's simple. The system is a sham.

Reaction Score
This and the free ride scholarship athletes make are the inertia against a public outcry. But if enough events occur a majority of the public will react, insist on changes, and our elected legislatures will recognize a pr opportunity and set up some bogus laws to give the appearance that substantive changes are in place. The public will feel satisfied it has done something and ignore college athletics once again and the perpetrators of inequity and exploitation will figure out ways to get around the new rules.

But until there is a public outcry, the system, with its group of leaders that lack integrity, will push the limits on making monies for themselves and the parties they represent. Just ask @upstater to tell you about NCAA leadership and its coziness with the aau system with past presidents. Emmert is not a person who has integrity so you have to wonder why he's in his position. It's simple. The system is a sham.
Too cynical in your first paragraph. Day may come soon when the athletes themselves walk. If not it'll be the major conference schools opting out of NCAA. I've no idea how much the NCAA takes out of athletic revenues directly from schools or via organizing tournaments, but clearly its a big bloated organization and ultimately I think economics will propel a new system. Capitalist argument, if it is money that screwed it up (it is), well maybe money will also find an alternative solution.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Too cynical in your first paragraph. Day may come soon when the athletes themselves walk. If not it'll be the major conference schools opting out of NCAA. I've no idea how much the NCAA takes out of athletic revenues directly from schools or via organizing tournaments, but clearly its a big bloated organization and ultimately I think economics will propel a new system. Capitalist argument, if it is money that screwed it up (it is), well maybe money will also find an alternative solution.
Cynical is a perspective. I'll "cynically" argue that once big money got into college sports (demonstrated by ESPN's success) colleges realized they were giving away the goose laying the golden eggs. So they insisted on their pound of flesh and started insisting on bigger payouts. And they got them. I'm not arguing they didn't deserve them. But I will state that once they started getting these payouts, the sway of voices insisting on academic merits over athletic merits shifted. In years past there would be a strong voice in limiting the influence of athletics at universities. This wasn't always the case as was strongly demonstrated at Penn State but the influence was muted in many universities. That changed as the monies increased. More and more universities justify looking the other way when there are indiscretions. The shift has gone away from moral correctness to actions being taken to avoid being penalized because universities do not want major monetary disruptions.

Do I feel all men are corrupt. Absolutely not. But it is human nature to justify it's behavior and a lot of presidents have justified giving into BOT's and boosters for the "greater good of the Universities." This is the best case scenario of leadership The saying is power corrupts people. This is partly true. My thought is corrupt people seek power. And those with skills get into these positions.

Reaction Score
Matt,
I'm not implying JM is a man of the people; in fact that was my point. I agree that the NCAA is full of hypocrisy and double standards. Until someone fixes it; the student athletes have to play by their rules; or don't play. Can't have it both ways(unlike the NCAA).

Reaction Score
Why is selling your own signature for a quick buck synonymous with being a scumbag? Hell, if someone would pay for my Herbie Hancock I'd be selling it anywhere and everywhere. The moral of the story here is that the NCAA has been lying, and Bilas exposed them. If anyone is the scumbag, it is the NCAA. If not, then ask yourself, "Why did they disable the search engine?"

I apologize if I made it sound like signing autographs wassynonymous with being a scumbag - not what I meant. He's a scumbag because he and his buddy were arrested in a bar fight, which started when they called the person they were fighting a racial slur. He also was kicked out of the Manning passing camp for staying out all night drinking. He tweets negative things about his school... all in all, he's not a good guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom