OT Jaromir Jagr turns 44 today | The Boneyard

OT Jaromir Jagr turns 44 today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Still going strong has almost 20 goals and 20 assists, will he play till he's 50. He started his career in the 1990-91 season, Ray Allen was a sophomore in high school when he started his career amazing.

Reaction Score
One assumes he has one or two more seasons in him, but I could see him calling it this year too, despite being a productive player.

If he did manage to play 5 or 6 more years, he would have the most outside of outside chances to break Gretzky's 894 career goal mark. Assuming 25 goals per year (roughly his pace this year), he would need 6 or so seasons to break the mark. As unlikely as that is, you could make a decent case that Jagr has a better chance of breaking that record than anyone currently in the league. His longevity is almost unparalleled, and he got to play in eras when more goals were scored than is the case today. The kids in today's game almost certainly won't have his longevity and play in an era more defined by goalie dominance and defensive schemes than by goal scoring prowess.

Reaction Score
One assumes he has one or two more seasons in him, but I could see him calling it this year too, despite being a productive player.

If he did manage to play 5 or 6 more years, he would have the most outside of outside chances to break Gretzky's 894 career goal mark. Assuming 25 goals per year (roughly his pace this year), he would need 6 or so seasons to break the mark. As unlikely as that is, you could make a decent case that Jagr has a better chance of breaking that record than anyone currently in the league. His longevity is almost unparalleled, and he got to play in eras when more goals were scored than is the case today. The kids in today's game almost certainly won't have his longevity and play in an era more defined by goalie dominance and defensive schemes than by goal scoring prowess.

More then likely yes but who knows, he is just one of those guys that can't live without playing hockey, when his career is over I still think he will be in some league in the Czech Republic or some shape or form of hockey. Chris Chelios played till he was 48, Gordie Howe played into his 50s ya never know.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If he hadn't played two years in Russia, he'd already be only the 2nd player (after Gretzky) with >2000 points. Still a lot of talk here in Pgh about trying to bring him back and retiring his #.

Reaction Score
When he resigned with Florida he said he was "looking forward to winning a Stanley Cup". I thought he was crazy on several levels, but he clearly wasn't. Now, I'm not sure about the Stanley Cup stuff, but this is far beyond the old guy hanging out on a middling team. I think it's a great story and I hope it keeps going.

Reaction Score
1990-91 - I was a junior up at UConn and the Whalers were a playoff team.

Aeons ago. Great longevity. Then again, Gordie Howe was playing in the NHL in his early 50s.

Reaction Score
Always remember how strong he was with the puck. Him and Lemeiux on the same line should have been illegal.

Reaction Score
I saw a 52 year-old Gordie Howe score two goals in a game in Chicago. JJ has a way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom