Ot:Jamie Dixon to | The Boneyard

Ot:Jamie Dixon to

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Were we involved with any Pitt recruits that we can get back in with?

Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...jamie-dixon-considering-offer-to-coach-at-tcu

There are several reasons, sources said, for Dixon to make the move -- the most obvious of which is that Dixon has reached the point where some Pitt fans don't appreciate the fact that he's made 11 NCAA Tournaments in 13 seasons as much as they focus on the fact that he's only guided the Panthers to the Sweet 16 twice. Beyond that, the chancellor and athletic director who hired Dixon are no longer in place. Beyond that, the Pitt job became a much tougher job when the school moved out of the Big East and into the ACC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Beyond that, the Pitt job became a much tougher job when the school moved out of the Big East and into the ACC.

I call BS on that part. It might've been tougher the first couple of seasons acclimating to the teams, refs, and different recruiting areas. But at this point it should be no more difficult than the OBE. And to make that situation better he's going to change to yet another unfamiliar conference in a more competitive market where he goes up against Kansas, Iowa St. and Oklahoma every year. Yeah, right.

The deal with Dixon is that he followed Howland, who brought Pitt back to relevance. However, since taking over, he's done no better than Paul Evans, despite having some 1 and 2 seeds and a supremely talented team in the DeJuan Blair era. Fans hate his style of play, are pissed that he can't seem to ever recruit a guy who can take the big shot at the end, particularly at the point, and recognize that he is consistently being outrecruited. Even when he does land one, like Khem Birch or Steven Adams, they don't stick around (ignoring that Birch was a problem child and Adams had legit financial reasons to leave).

In short, fans and alumni are pissed he's paid as a top 20 coach and delivering 30-50 results. I'm sure he feels unappreciated. Leaving gives him a chance to build a program from the ground up in a place where alumni probably don't expect much and would be grateful for an occasional NCAA trip in between NIT tourneys.

Reaction Score
Pitt has deep recruiting connections all over the Northeast, I'm sure he'd have to consider walking away from all of that.

Reaction Score
And as posted above, he's had 1 seeds recently, in 2009 and 2011, and he has to think that he can get back to that level at Pitt.

Reaction Score
And as posted above, he's had 1 seeds recently, in 2009 and 2011, and he has to think that he can get back to that level at Pitt.

that's an eternity ago in the sports landscape.

Reaction Score
Pitt was a perennial competitor in the BE, but it has kind of taken a backseat to SYR and Ville, which have taken a backseat to Duke and UNC. I still cannot understand why breaking up the Big east was a good idea.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Pitt was a perennial competitor in the BE, but it has kind of taken a backseat to SYR and Ville, which have taken a backseat to Duke and UNC. I still cannot understand why breaking up the Big east was a good idea.
They were tired of taking a back seat to UConn!

Reaction Score
Football rules the roost at Pitt. To a point, I can understand why they were concerned. Why should a school that has in recent years, produced Larry Fitzgerald, and Darrelle Revis, let alone more NFL Hall of Famers than all but ND, USC, and Ohio St., be relegated to the minor leagues, while garbage like Duke, Wake, and Kansas get to stay in the big leagues? Can't blame them, Cuse, and WVU for moving before the roof collapsed on them. They should have made the split back when Miami told them that FSU, and GT were unhappy in the ACC, and were interested in forming a new league with Miami, and the rest of the BE football schools. They could have made room for UConn, Nova, Gtown, and SJU as associate members, and PC, and SH could have joined the A10, which is where they belonged. Instead they played around, and let the ACC raid them instead.

Reaction Score
Football rules the roost at Pitt. To a point, I can understand why they were concerned. Why should a school that has in recent years, produced Larry Fitzgerald, and Darrelle Revis, let alone more NFL Hall of Famers than all but ND, USC, and Ohio St., be relegated to the minor leagues, while garbage like Duke, Wake, and Kansas get to stay in the big leagues? Can't blame them, Cuse, and WVU for moving before the roof collapsed on them. They should have made the split back when Miami told them that FSU, and GT were unhappy in the ACC, and were interested in forming a new league with Miami, and the rest of the BE football schools. They could have made room for UConn, Nova, Gtown, and SJU as associate members, and PC, and SH could have joined the A10, which is where they belonged. Instead they played around, and let the ACC raid them instead.

Thanks for thinking about Uconn as an associate member. You can also blow me.

Reaction Score
Pitt should be pretty darn good next year too with Young, Jeter and Artis as seniors. They could probably transfer without sitting out if Dixon leaves, but if I were him I'd take one more shot at improving.

Reaction Score
Any time you can get a decent but overly expensive regular season coach who couldn't win a tournament to save his life you have to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom