OT: Isaac is no joke | The Boneyard

OT: Isaac is no joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Trapped in attic stories starting to emerge (again), levee overturned. Please tell me why people remain in N.O. during a 'cane'? Putting cemeteries above ground should say something.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The westward shift of Isaac from the Florida panhandle to New Orleans really started Saturday afternoon and in to Monday/Tuesday really caught many in Louisiana and New Orleans off-guard.

Three days really isn't as much time as you might think. There is a weird psychology when it comes to evacuating your property. Look at my avatar. It's from over the weekeend and Louisiana is right on the western most tip of the projected path.

Where I'm at Pensacola we dodged a bullet by about 35 miles. We were very fortunate to have one of the outer bands sheer off on Monday and then have a gap in some bands yesterday. But we have friends who live on Pensacola Beach whose townhome had over 2 feet of water and there's been power outages and other flooding. And we missed the storm.

Reaction Score
As far as I can tell the actual city of New Orleans is good right now. It is the parishes to the south that haven't had their leeves improved yet that are in trouble. But yeah, they have no excuse for staying in their homes. I read that 3 adults and an infant were rescued from a houseboat. Great idea!

Reaction Score
Not so much of a wind event but they are getting an unbelievable amount of rain, remember seeing on the CNN ticker last night that Southeast Lousiana could expect up to 27 inches of rain, never heard of that much rain in that short a period of time. It's hard to just pick up and leave, unfortunately people have to worry about looting. My friend lives in the city and he said he was driving around the 9th ward yesterday, said it was a military zone, armed soldiers and humvies everywhere.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
The westward shift of Isaac from the Florida panhandle to New Orleans really started Saturday afternoon and in to Monday/Tuesday really caught many in Louisiana and New Orleans off-guard.

Three days really isn't as much time as you might think. There is a weird psychology when it comes to evacuating your property. Look at my avatar. It's from over the weekeend and Louisiana is right on the western most tip of the projected path.

Where I'm at Pensacola we dodged a bullet by about 35 miles. We were very fortunate to have one of the outer bands sheer off on Monday and then have a gap in some bands yesterday. But we have friends who live on Pensacola Beach whose townhome had over 2 feet of water and there's been power outages and other flooding. And we missed the storm.

I'm out in Tallahassee and we didn't even get a sniff of the hurricane after we were told that FSU would most likely be closed down for a few days this week. While I feel fortunate we dodged the storm, it's tough to fathom that New Orleans and the surrounding area get another shiner to face.

Reaction Score
Trapped in attic stories starting to emerge (again), levee overturned. Please tell me why people remain in N.O. during a 'cane'? Putting cemeteries above ground should say something.
Because most people are fundamentally irrational.
That leads to people attaching way too much value to their possessions, such as their home. This is even more bizarre when you consider that a substantial portion of people don't "own" much of anything about their real estate - they're mortgaged to value and they're renting from the bank.

Simple. Pay your insurance, leave when the hurricane comes. Get in car and go. Or get on bus. What keepsakes do you have that can't fit in a box in the back of your car?

What's worth risking your life over?

I'd take a box full of valuables and get out of town.

Better question yet - why live in a hurricane zone? And who gives them insurance for anywhere near a reasonable cost?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Well, I'm supposed to be in NOLA on September 18th for a conference and joined by my wife for a long romantic weekend on the 20th. WTF is with these galldarn hurricanes!!!!!!!

Reaction Score

I live in Gbury, in the same zone as the microburst several weeks ago. It seems in today's day and age, you just never know. Tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, quakes. Nature can't seem to make up it's mind. Just be thankful that you're living in an area that's not being affected, and keep those who are in your thoughts as I'm sure you do being the nice guy you appear to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom